Machinima.com / Microsoft Xbox One ad fiasco

Sign in to follow this  

I had to make a post on this since I'm following this like a sporting event:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/01/stealth-marketing-microsoft-paying-youtubers-for-xbox-one-mentions/

The short version:

Microsoft paid Machinima to promote the Xbox One. Machinima offered a minor promotion to people in their network to promote the xbox one and made them sign a new contract saying they could not say anything negative about it, nor could they reveal any terms in it. This may or may not be illegal according to the FTC, who knows.

Since then, Machinima gave a statement on the matter that sounds EXACTLY like the sort of conversations I had with their legal department when I was trying to get them to honor my contract. If you want to see how Machinima talks to people trying to get them to act honestly, this is a perfect example:

This partnership between Machinima and Microsoft was a typical marketing partnership to promote Xbox One in December. The Xbox team does not review any specific content or provide feedback on content. Any confidentiality provisions, terms, or other guidelines are standard documents provided by Machinima. For clarity, confidentiality relates to the agreements themselves, not the existence of the promotion.

I bet I even know who wrote this. Anyway, Microsoft has since given a statement saying they had no knowledge of Machinima's activities, saying it's all on them. Yeah right. Here's my hypothesis:

Microsoft of course knew the details of what Machinima was doing, it would be unrealistic to suggest otherwise in the contract. Machinima told the truth, what they're doing it TYPICAL for them. The difference is this time the public got wind of it AND actually cared, so it turned into a scandal. Machinima bunkers down into legal protection mode so they don't sued by the FTC, and Microsoft points the finger at them to look good, because MS is much, much bigger than Machinima, so they can dictate terms. In any event, this is STANDARD behavior for Machinima, it's nice to see more people aware of it.

So essentially the tactic of "Be an asshole to everyone smaller until a bigger asshole comes around to put you in your place then shirk the blame left and right trying to wriggle on out of your situation and do your best to make it seem like it never happened," returns. I don't think Machinima realizes that strategy only works best in politics. Generally in business, the consequences for scandal are much greater than a lower chance at election.

Life is just a time trial; it's all about how many happy points you can earn in a set period of time

So essentially the tactic of "Be an asshole to everyone smaller until a bigger asshole comes around to put you in your place then shirk the blame left and right trying to wriggle on out of your situation and do your best to make it seem like it never happened," returns. I don't think Machinima realizes that strategy only works best in politics. Generally in business, the consequences for scandal are much greater than a lower chance at election.

Well said :)

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^