Name that tune!

Sign in to follow this  

NO CHEATING! (You know who you are.)

One person writes in the lyrics from the verse of a song, and the next person gives the title and then lyrics to a song of their choice. For bonus points, prove you're not cheating by telling us something about the song. Where it's from, what it's about, which version you prefer. Something that proves you actually know the song and aren't just Googling the damned thing.

On that note, there's no restrictions on what song you pick. None. Everything you can write in latin characters is acceptable. And don't make it easy, either. I certainly won't.

"Ridi, Pagliaccio,

Sul tuo amore infranto!

Ridi del duol, che t'avvalena il cor!"

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." -Stephen Colbert.

Do we have to be right with our guess before posting new lyrics, or can we make a wild stab and post lyrics?

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

I think I'll keep score. Get it right, get a point. Every person who fails to get an answer right increases the value of that song by 1 and can't guess again. Which means, yes, you're giving the next person a shot at two points if you make a wild stab at it and miss. You'll also get double points for proving you're not cheating.

As an extra, you can request an extra verse, but it cuts the value of the song in half and it can't be done more than once per song.

That doesn't even show up in a search... You should probly make it English language only, as 90% of the people that would even bother looking at this thread won't have ever listened to it otherwise. (you're that other 10%)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Except it's a REALLY famous song. Like, you HAVE heard it. A LOT. More specifically, you've heard that exact verse of it before. A LOT.

The thing is, I had to look it up, and listen to the whole thing, before I recognized it. Reading the lyrics over and over didn't do the trick. It doesn't help that I only (and more than likely many others) recognized a little bit of the song. IMO the problem is the lyrics aren't recognizable, the song/tone (at least part of it) is, in fact, you can replace the lyrics with anything and it would still be recognized. Case in point:

k7-D1e3QZaU

With that said, I won't say what the song is, and I wont post other lyrics, I'm opting out of this one to give someone else a chance, but, Seattleite, maybe next time you should pick something else that's (a little) easier.

If you're so sure I've heard it and would recognize it, then are you going to say what it is then?

Let me get this straight. We're playing a trivia game, and you don't know the answer, so you want me to give you the answer to prove it's attainable? Really? Well fine then. It's Vesti la Giubba. It's the most famous opera piece in history, it's final verse (the one listed) is instantly recognizable due to its lyrics, strong delivery and rythem, and being used as the stock opera piece in everything ever made, ever. Like, seriously, if an opera is presented in media, there's about a 75% chance it'll be Pagliacci and if it is, it WILL be the end of Act 1, where Canio sings Vesti la Giubba, and it'll be right at the final verse.

Here's a link to the song in performance. By Mario Lanza, who isn't even actually performing Pagliacci at the time, this is just a movie about an actor, so of course they had to throw in this song. (Almost uniquely, the entire thing instead of just the final verse.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRhmogBs-gU

Well, there's your problem... I have never previously heard this particular piece. You overestimated the prominence of the piece.

Do you watch the Simpsons? It's appeared there multiple times. And in kid's cartoons, like Psychotic Ninja demonstrated. It's also appeared in The Untouchables and other movies involving the mafia, since it's from an Italian play thus part of the stereotype. And many, many more. And it's the final verse, (1:55) that's the famous part.

And not everybody is going to know every song, anyway.

Ah, but like I said, it's not recognizable until you hear it. Just reading the lyrics wont do the trick.

And you assume that everyone has heard it, which isn't true. Even someone who has watched many episodes of The Simpsons probly didn't catch the one that had it.