Kickstarter Launched for Banjo-Kazoo---, I mean Yooka-Laylee

Sign in to follow this  

So hey, does anyone remember a little forgotten console classic known as Banjo Kazooie?

Or perhaps the even better Banjo Tooie?

And certainly not the highly disappointing Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts?

Well guess what! A bunch of former Rareware employees got together to make just what we've always wanted!

That's right, a game that isn't technically Banjo-Kazooie!

The former Rareware employees have started a company called "Playtonic Games" and have released a Kickstarter to promote and fund their new game, called Yooka-Laylee.

This "completely new" game is about two characters named Banjo and Kazooie Yooka and Laylee, who are respectively a bear and a bird chameleon and a bat who travel around large 3-D platforming worlds collecting jiggies pagies, all set to the wonderful music of Grant Kirkhope Grant Kirkhope!

So yeah, it's literally Banjo-Kazooie, without being Banjo-Kazooie. Because copyright.

Like seriously, their Kickstarter features such stretch goals as a pre-final boss battle Quiz show and the ability to have transformations in each level. It's unabashedly Banjo-Kazooie, but without breaking copyright.

So if you guys are fans of the BK games, then luckily for everyone, they already hit their KS goal within like 40 minutes, so it should turn out pretty good. Right?

Links to the Kickstarter and Website below:

http://www.playtonicgames.com/

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!

As long as they don't limit themselves to that particular game/franchise, and start digging into others of the Rare library, (Donkey Kong, GoldenEye 007, etc.) then I'm all for them doing this.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

As long as they don't limit themselves to that particular game/franchise, and start digging into others of the Rare library, (Donkey Kong, GoldenEye 007, etc.) then I'm all for them doing this.

Well, I watched a developer's conference recently where they first started dropping hints about this game, and they mentioned that it is going to introduce a bunch of characters who will eventually have games themselves, making the whole thing a massive game universe. They didn't really specify the kinds of games they would be producing, but based on the character silhouettes they showed, it looks like there will be a range of genres.

Now, I kinda doubt we will get anything like Goldeneye or DK64 (especially since, I hate to say it, but GoldenEye hasn't aged as well as other FPS titles from that era), but maybe more stuff along the lines of Perfect Dark.

That said, I vaguely recall that one of the characters seemed to have a gun, so we might just get an FPS of some sort.

Too soon to say.

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!