Death Stranding

Sign in to follow this  

i2nuHEGhwiw

I don't suppose anyone here has seen this trailer of Hideo Kojima's newest to-be-released title, from his new self-titled production company? What do you guys make of it? I have to confess I never fully enjoyed playing any of the MGS titles after the third outing, but I do love the philosophically barmy and bizarrely casted lore of the entire MGS series - I often wish it were a TV series rather than a game franchise.

If this exceptionally mysterious trailer is anything to go by, it seems like Kojima has really taken his newfound creative freedom and slackened the reins on his imagination to town. There's dead sea animals all connected to what appear to be umbilical cords, a naked dude covered in handprints, five enigmatic human figures hovering on the horizon, a vanishing baby... just another day in Kojima Productions offices then!

But is all seriousness this trailer has got my attention. I'd half-heartedly argue that MGS slightly lost it's footing in later iterations, it's cinematic-to-gameplay ratio being disastrously off, the narrative and plot elements having become something of an overinflated balloon animal. Time will only tell if this game will prove to be something as inspiring and ubiquitous as Metal Gear Solid, but I certainly embrace the opportunity to rekindle my gaming homage to Kojima.

Any thoughts on what on the blinkin' blue earth is happening in the trailer though? :3

EDIT: That song is pretty nice, too.

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

I hope whatever this is, it's in some way a spiritual brother to what Silent Hills could have been; not because I think a Silent Hills still needs to happen but I would love to know what Kojima was planning on doing in general.

Aside from the many joke opportunities this trailer presents, all at Kojima's expense (and Reedus's. Norman Fetus....) I too am very curious and excited to see what an unchained Kojima is capable of. Just wish the trailer had more to go off of.

Retired Forum Moderator

I hope whatever this is, it's in some way a spiritual brother to what Silent Hills could have been; not because I think a Silent Hills still needs to happen but I would love to know what Kojima was planning on doing in general.

Aside from the many joke opportunities this trailer presents, all at Kojima's expense (and Reedus's. Norman Fetus....) I too am very curious and excited to see what an unchained Kojima is capable of. Just wish the trailer had more to go off of.

There may well be elements of horror in this new game, the dead cetaceans, an implication of desperate survival, the mysterious levitating figures point to some rather P.T.-ish uncanniness. I'm enjoying all the rather premature theories the trailer, especially the one that proposes the whole thing was a symbolically coded middle finger to Konami and Kojima's self-imposed severing from his past work (the vanishing infant standing in for the cancelled Silent Hills, the beached whale and dolphin carcasses an analogy for the Metal Gear Solid series). As for the inevitable guffs and guffaws this trailer will no doubt engender, it's best not to pay much heed to that gallery of sneering asses we call public opinion. I'll be keeping a finger on this game's pulse, for now.

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

the%20pleasure%20goblin_zpscv3cduh6.png

icon_lol.gif This gives me an idea for a thread game.

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa