How did you do underwater vocal sounds, Ross?

Sign in to follow this  

Hey Ross. Need a bit of help here, if you have a moment. I'm doing some audio mixing for an indie game that's still under wraps. Now, I don't usually do foley, but this situation is a bit of an exception what with the woman normally responsible for recording footage being away on an extended pregnancy leave.

Anyway, I just now remembered you gave Freeman some gurgling noises for when he was underwater here and there, getting attacked by worms and such. I looked up a few old videos and these clips did sound quite good. I may be mistaken, but I'm assuming you're using some budget-friendly tools or tricks to achieve this 'I'm trying to talk under water' effect? It's not always talking, sometimes it's just Freeman being surprised or, more frequently being annoyed with something underwater, like something blocking his path. Aside from a couple of (attempted) lines, those frustration sounds are the kinds of vocals I'm after.

Any tips would be super useful to me. I may be good at mixing sound effects, but I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to recording.

I always assume that he pinched his mouth shut, inflated his cheeks, then tried to talk in that fashion.

I was always able to achieve a similar effect by just trying to talk through my nose. (hold your lips shut, keep your jaw closed but not clenched, and in all other ways talk as you normally would)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.