your earliest memories

Sign in to follow this  

What are your earliest memories? share them & comment.

i start off with 2 of my own:

my earliest memory dates back when i was either late 2 year old or early 3 year old (so pretty much exactly 20 years ago). Either way, it was summer and rather near my birthday- thus i think it was late 2 years old, as it was warmer than it usually is around my birthday, more sync with july than august.

Anyways, its rather dull memory truth be told. I remember waking up in my mothers bed probably around 10 in the morning, staring at white ceiling & black oven (which is now painted light grey) thats used to heat the room.

I got up (i was dressed) and went to kitchen where mother & grandmother were having coffee. Now, they were chatting about something i dont remember, and mother for whatever the reason asks me "what do you say when someone asks you your name", i went: "i dont know".

This is probably most interesting thing about this memory- i really didnt know. I remember the fact that i didnt remember a thing. I knew how to speak, how to walk, layout of house, regognised my family members as friendly (but didnt remember any names), but that was it. And i dont think i had any trauma either as everything felt fine. But it honestly felt like i shouldnt be small boy just waking from a nap. To this day, i remember this feeling and it still freaks the heck out of me when i think about it. I figure its something like amnesiac (y'know, person who lost memory) feels

i have lot of jumbled memories from childhood that i cant quite exactly place except this one. And i know for fact this is my first memory.

Now, first juicier memory i have is me tumbling down stairs when i was 3 & it was in february i guess (so '97). See, all my life, my family has lived in 2-story house that my greatgrandfather bought before ww2. So i guess i wanted to go either sledding or ice skating & i went to call my dad from upstairs. In any case, i called him, got dressed in warm winter clothes & started going down the stairs. Now, one more thing about old houses- those stairs can be extremely steep. And easy to fall from. I slipped on upmost step & slid down, all straight like a plank, feet first down the stairs (in middle. wooden stairs with huge caps between them). Right down the bottom.

Dad & mom (who came to see what was it all about) were of course spooked, but i remember it being fun. I remember getting up with smile and "lets do that again" look :D

but yeah, that was close call, as if i hadnt been dressed up as warmly as i had, i might have serious brain damage by now.

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

A thread that isn't about getting angry with your fellow forum users, we've been in serious need for one of these. Thanks Meelis! :3

I have pretty awful recollection of my childhood and of life in general, I can barely remember much of sixth-form in high school, let alone anything before it! The earliest proper memory I have of an actual event that my parents and siblings also can recall was when we visited Cheddar Gorge, a kind of tourist trap place in Somerset nestled in the areas hills, most notable for it's caves that are open to the public. We went into one cave that had some of "crystal adventure" set-up and I slayed a dragon by touching a glass ball - cue clever use of lights and smoke machines. Maybe that experience says a lot about my current adult predilections.

A presumably much earlier (but vaguer) memory I have in the barely accessible recesses of my mind involves being on the path to my primary school/nursery (next to some housing for elderly tenants) with my mum who was pushing my two younger twin sisters in a pram. I remember being small, because my perspective was skewed from the ground-up, so I was probably too young to be in school at this point. I think I was eating a Jubbly - one of those frozen fruit juice lollies that we always seemed to have in abundance in our household.

I'm sorry if you were hoping for something more harrowing or intriguing, but on reflection I've had a rather decent childhood.

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa