Games Not Being Difficult Anymore

Give the XCOM games a go... Not just the new ones either, as they seem to be a bit easier.

Are they considered to be abandonware? I can't find anywhere to buy them from. Also what was the name of that Starcraft mod you mentioned earlier? I went and found my old copy of Starcraft and would like to give the mod a go.

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

Definitely NOT abandonware. They are all available on Steam, and the Humble Bundle Store. (and a few other places as well, you need to work on your internet searching skills if you couldn't find somewhere to buy these) https://www.humblebundle.com/store/xcom-complete-pack ($15 for all of the pre-Enemy Unknown/Within games)

I'm not sure, but I think this was the mod for Starcraft.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-war-saga-expansion/news/ai-difficulty-included

Read this to get the gist of what the mod does. http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/AI_script

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Have you tried competitive gaming? As a side bonus, you could win big bucks.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Have you tried competitive gaming? As a side bonus, you could win big bucks.

I would love to but I don't know where to start.

Dota 2, LOL, CS, TF2 (even though it's still broken/new), Overwatch, Quake 3/Live, and that's just top of my head.

Dota 2, LOL, CS, TF2 (even though it's still broken/new), Overwatch, Quake 3/Live, and that's just top of my head.

Well I despise working in teams so Dota 2, LOL, TF2 and Overwatch are right out. I think the new UT4 is trying to start up a competitive scene so maybe I should check that out when it happens. Starcraft 2's got a pretty good competitive scene too.

You don't like teamwork? My guess is you rarely have someone on your team that can keep up with you, and that has soured your experiences.

That and I refuse to tolerate toxic, screaming, insane, chimpanzee communities that games like CS, LoL and Overwatch are notorious breeding grounds for. There probably are a few communities that are well-behaved but I have yet to see even one and I don't know where to look.

In my opinion playing without a team is infinitely better than playing with a team. You don't have to worry about communication or anyone else's skill level except your own. I don't mind playing in teams with player's with lesser skill levels then mine but if that's the case then I shouldn't be playing competitively alongside them. If I notice any ineffective play and I'm playing to win then I'll inevitably grow to hate those people because I'll feel like I'm being held back by them and it's the same case for them as well. I've acknowledged what's occurring and I refuse to add to an already toxic environment. You can play to win or to just have fun but you can't do both. Trying to do both is the sole reason that competitive scenes around team-based games are as toxic as they are.

I feel I have the potential to do competitive, but I find myself going for the "having fun" side more than to win, that and the toxic community you'll find in every game/fanbase. There's also the problems with team play.

Then don't play with randoms ^^

Go find a team to regularly play with. Communicating and coordinating with a team is the real challenge of team based games.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Then don't play with randoms ^^

Go find a team to regularly play with. Communicating and coordinating with a team is the real challenge of team based games.

It's not just randoms whole groups can be toxic too and that's all I was able to find when I tried to look for one. As I said I've yet to find even one group that was well-behaved and I don't know how to find one.

If you want to try out a non-toxic group, you could try Battlefield 2142... You have to install the game normally with all patches, then patch it with a custom patch that tells it to link to the custom private server, (there are no official servers anymore) then you can play on their server. This is literally the ONLY way to play this game.

http://dethklokclan.enjin.com/

I've been having a craving for harder games over the last few years, and I've been able to find a bunch. They're not for everyone since they're mostly indies, rogue-likes, or bullet-hells, but they're challenging nonetheless and fairly enjoyable.

Nuclear Throne (Probably over 100 plays by me, and I still have not beaten Throne II once, and only beaten the Throne a handful of times)

Enter the Gungeon (Getting to Bullet Hell and beating the final boss of this game is brutal)

Darkwood (still in development, but this is a very promising and tough horror game)

Kingdom (Both classic and New Lands are pretty fun and the challenge is trying to make the 100 days achievement)

Darkest Dungeon (This one's a tribute to classic turn-based RPGs and dungeon crawlers with a Lovecraftian style. This one is difficult since it involves a lot of RNG)

Heavy Bullets (FPS with a twist and randomly generated levels, but pretty challenging and fun the further in you go.)

Long is the way; and hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light-Paradise Lost

By the power of truth, while I live, I have conquered the universe-Faust

The only absolute is that there are no absolutes, except that one

Vae Victus-Brennus

Just a thought, but you could try Star Trek Online... All you'd need to do is use solely the free stuff to play against the higher difficulty levels, and I guarantee it to be very hard to beat.

dark souls is really good for players seeking difficulty, since it offers difficulty without being unfair or punishing

dark souls 3 is especially hard, and much less forgiving

i've spent a lot of time in both games and dark souls 3 is almost perfect in regards to basic enemy and boss difficulty, less fair perhaps, but it feels amazing being able to take on nameless king and the abyss watchers without help

Just a thought, but you could try Star Trek Online... All you'd need to do is use solely the free stuff to play against the higher difficulty levels, and I guarantee it to be very hard to beat.

[snide comment about how star trek is in a generic space fantasy setting]

enjoy your warframe clone :^)))))

the name's riley

dark souls is really good for players seeking difficulty, since it offers difficulty without being unfair or punishing

dark souls 3 is especially hard, and much less forgiving

i've spent a lot of time in both games and dark souls 3 is almost perfect in regards to basic enemy and boss difficulty, less fair perhaps, but it feels amazing being able to take on nameless king and the abyss watchers without help

Dark Souls 3 was very strange to me in terms of difficulty. I felt some of the elite enemies were even tougher than most of the bosses, and more than a few of them you cannot avoid. It really ground my gears when I was having more trouble with the Boss' fucking henchmen than the actually bosses themselves, essentially. Though not enough to make me want to quit, usually, unlike DS2.

Then with bosses, some are pretty easy but it didn't feel like Dark Souls 2 to me where it just felt like most of the bosses were either throwaways or insanely difficult for single players. To me, a bunch of the bosses in DS2 like Ancient Dragon, Elana The Squalid Queen, Aava The King's Pet (Lud and Zalen I haven't even reached, because fuck the Frigid Outskirts) felt extremely cheap in terms of the moves they could do to completely fuck over a player.

I loved the challenge of taking on some bosses solo in Dark Souls 3 though, Abyss Watchers felt like a dance and I loved the feeling of finally getting the steps right to beat them, Iudex Gundyr was similar and I think Champion will be more of the same. Yhorm and Aldrich were epic bosses even though they were relatively easy once you learned the strats, and Ancient Wyvern was just badass. I think for the most part in Dark Souls 3 the devs did a great job in making you WANT to try and beat the bosses regardless of whether they were easy or difficult

Long is the way; and hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light-Paradise Lost

By the power of truth, while I live, I have conquered the universe-Faust

The only absolute is that there are no absolutes, except that one

Vae Victus-Brennus

When most space sci-fi/fantasy is based off of Star Trek, Star Trek then appears to be generic to the unintelligent. ;)

STO came long before Warframe, but even at it's worst wasn't as bad as Warframe was at its best. :roll:

Play Hearts of Iron IV as Poland on the hardest difficulty and with a 1938 start, you have about a year to not get roflostomped by the Nazis and Soviets in 39'

When most space sci-fi/fantasy is based off of Star Trek, Star Trek then appears to be generic to the unintelligent. ;)

STO came long before Warframe, but even at it's worst wasn't as bad as Warframe was at its best. :roll:

Dune, HG2G, 2001, Literally any cyberpunk

*cough*

There's a HUGE difference between "based off of" and "inspired by" and I can assure you that in a time where a concept as generic as men flying in space in specialized vessels was becoming a reality, people sure as hell weren't even inspired by Star Trek.

Also, I think the joke flew over your head

the name's riley