Magic The Gathering Flavour Text

Sign in to follow this  

If any of you are familiar with Magic The Gathering, you'll know that many of the cards contain bits of thematic text alongside their particular gameplay traits and rules relating to the imagery and title of the individual card. These are predominantly to do with the lore of various worlds in the MTG multiverse and it's numerous timelines and events. Often they will be metaphors culled from the respective fictional cultures of the world, or quotes from recurring characters, heroes and villains of the background narratives of each expansion - although in the many editions of the so-called "basic set" real world literary quotes are sometimes appropriated.

Image.ashx?multiverseid=45308&type=card

The bodies of it's victims are the only tracks it leaves.

I felt like making a thread and this was the best idea I could come up on the spur of the moment. Are there any examples of MTG flavour text you like? Anything you want to single out as being particularly interesting to you? Flavour text can often summarize the situation in the story succinctly, or elaborate upon the culture and context of the world being portrayed therein, can simply be amusing, poignant, thought-provoking or even downright badass at times (see the Bog Wraith card above; I don't care if it's a bog-standard 3/3 black creatures, don't fuck about with Bog Wraiths) whatever appeals to you about a certain card/s flavour text, please share it with us here!

Image.ashx?multiverseid=45254&type=card

"Marit Lage lies frozen in a glacier's heart. Still her dreams take form in our world, stealing the heat from our souls."

؄ Halvor Arenson, Kjeldoran priest

Image.ashx?multiverseid=159837&type=card

"The Lemures looked harmless, until they descended on my troops. Within moments, only bones remained."

؄ Lucilde Fiksdotter, Leader of the Order of the White Shield

Image.ashx?multiverseid=201130&type=card

"Kobolds are harmless."

؄ Bearand the Bold, epitaph

Image.ashx?multiverseid=26627&type=card

During the giant crabs' mating season, Skyshroud nights are filled with the clatter of their skirmishes.

Image.ashx?multiverseid=397526&type=card

"So like men they are: a hardened shell with fragile flesh beneath."

؄ Selenia, dark angel

Incase you are curious, all the picture scans were sourced from the very handy Gatherer Card Database.

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Image.ashx?multiverseid=398616&type=card

"Ravnica's most ancient streets take on a life of their own. A few have decided to move to nicer neighbourhoods."

Image.ashx?multiverseid=146739&type=card

"Beware a scarecrow bearing gifts - especially sloshing barrels of acid."

Goblin Offensive

They certainly are.

That one had slipped my mind... icon_lol.gif

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa