Continuing Chell's Mind, and other stories...

Sign in to follow this  

As I stated in my previous thread (you should totally check it out, it's got some really exciting news about Chell's Mind creator CyhAnide, who incidentally is also the subject of the following post).

So, I was already had a planned Chell's Mind reboot planned when CyhAnide contacted me, she saw something I posted about it and got in touch which I really appreciated. There's a little backstory to this actually, because I'd planned it with my ex as doing two concurrent series. It was based around a mention in Felix's Mind that Felix Freeman had gone out with Chell (and I think in the last episode he hallucinates seeing her as he's dying - kinda wish I could still re-watch the episodes to fact-check that) and we were both into Portal so I'd had this idea to expand on both their stories by showing each of their stories concurrently, so it'd start off with a one-off episode where they're talking over the phone, and then from there it'd split off so on one hand you'd have Chell in the test chamber, and then on the other hand you'd also have Felix in BMS (not actual BMS - a bunch of BMS maps and mods), and sort of in the middle of both these stories you had the story of the girl in the picture in Gordon's locker and that was where it got really quite emotionally charged and kinda tragic at points.

We'd also planned, should we get round to Portal 2, that we redo some of the dialogue (I can do a pretty good Wheatley and her GLaDOS is scary close) to make it closer to one of the original ideas for the game, which was give Chell and GLaDOS a sort of grudging buddy cop dynamic (which was also partly inspired by Cyh's pitch for a Decay mind series, which incidentally I had also worked with Rassmoosen on as part of plans for one of the many unfinished Source remakes of Half-Life: Decay, and I believe the only one to briefly have original voice actors Kathy Levin and Lani Minella involved), which we both agreed would be fun to try as Morgan (my ex) does a lot of voice acting and this would have been her first dual role. A lot of things we'd been planning hadn't really been done in a Mind series before (except the dubbing thing, which Ian did for Barney in Felix's Mind) so there was a lot of experimentation going on to see what we could and couldn't do both in terms of storyline and within the games.

I'd had quite a comprehensive treatise written on both, though I'd hoped that she was planning to help me expand further on them and we'd get our ideas bouncing. Unfortunately this was around the time when her depression started to get worse and I was struggling to cope with it. I think the person she's with now is someone she's more relaxed with and better understands her but she's made it very clear that she's not getting involved. So it looks like I'm on the hunt for a new Chell.

Well, you might say I'm losing focus, kind of drifting into the abstract...

Thanks blue15bomber! I may have something for you to do if you're interested, I'll tell you about it in DM.

I have got a bit of an update - I've brought on a co-writer who's interested in voice-acting for Chell but she doesn't have a HQ mic. Despite that stumbling block we've got a lot of preliminaries out of the way and so far I think things are going good.

Well, you might say I'm losing focus, kind of drifting into the abstract...