Dodge and Burn painting

Sign in to follow this  

School project for first week of Digital Imaging was to paint a picture using custom brushes, dodge, and burn. If we did anything else, he said he better not be able to tell we did lol

Well, this is what I got:

208041_217216804959897_100000147386703_1026626_3744554_n.jpg

He said to put a lot of time into it and make it as best we could. It could be a LOT better for me but unfortunately I've had an obnoxiously busy week(I will say my complete day to day schedule if you think I'm lying there lol) and only really had yesterday to work on it. (due today :x) so I had to do the best I could in the time frame. what you see is about 6 hours of work.

And, like the seasoned college instructor that he is, decided to destroy the classes self confidence by showing last quarter work of one student who damn near painted a photograph lol.

If you're going to critique this, please don't sugar coat it. If you see something wrong, let me know. I can't get better otherwise.

Edit: and yes, I'm well aware it is the most generic possible landscape painting I could do. Time wasn't necessarily on my side to allow me to do my first idea lol.

Retired Forum Moderator

its good in a cartoonie way if thats what you were going for. but what i find a little odd is that the sky is bare. maybe if you added some clouds to it and did a few more trees new the loner one in the front and in the empty spaces at the bottom, also the lighting on the mountain in the back is a little odd to me. the river could be bigger but not much. but i like how you did sandstone like mountains really unique to the green Vally and really adds contrast to the picture. Im curious what collage do you go to? SCAD?

Indeed, the picture looks a bit flat, but the colors and the trees are sweet.

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

its good in a cartoonie way if thats what you were going for. but what i find a little odd is that the sky is bare. maybe if you added some clouds to it and did a few more trees new the loner one in the front and in the empty spaces at the bottom, also the lighting on the mountain in the back is a little odd to me. the river could be bigger but not much. but i like how you did sandstone like mountains really unique to the green Vally and really adds contrast to the picture. Im curious what collage do you go to? SCAD?

The college is actually rather unknown to people not in the industry, but it's called Mt Sierra College and it's a tech college specializing in media arts and game design. They're affiliated with blizzard entertainment, Obsidian entertainment, and quite a few other companies. I am in the Game design program but in the early stages where they're teaching the basics to everything lol.

And unfortunately, I wasn't going for the cartoony look. I need to go back and balance the colors so they aren't so darn vivid.

As for the flatness, that will get fixed along with the color balance when I really work on the dissipation of the image. as it stands I haven't actually done much to that so I'm anticipating what it'll look like when it does have it.

Retired Forum Moderator

Well you could go for the whole GRAY look realistic games go for lol. an example is gta 4 if anyone dose not know what i mean.