Hall of Socioeconomic Injustice.

Sign in to follow this  

We've all been victims, witnessed or at least heard about situations of socioeconomic injustice. While the situation may technically not be 'unjust', any situation of misfortune in such a manner is welcome here. Anything in society, going on with the people around you or you yourself, that you deem unjust, unfair or just a damn shame. I'll start off.

One of my friend's boss owned a cafe. Executives of an arts college often went there and put meals they ate on the company's tab. After two months and a lot of money owed, the college refused to talk to her about the money, finding ways to divert her. Turns out, the college is doing is doing bad financially. With the money owed, she is unable to make rent payments and the building owner forcefully takes the cafe from her possesion. This is where the story ends for me. Just some extra information, she is a single mother of three and is paying a mortgage. So the business means a lot. My friend told me that she was seen crying on the steps behind the cafe. As far as i know, she doesn't have a lawyer.

Maybe i'll post some others later (2 am here).

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I should probably change the title of it, but this forum is more for macro-level problems. What you're describing is more on a micro-scale. If you wanted to tie it back to a larger issue, that would be okay, but as it is, I may move the thread to general discussion if it continues. Also it's "socioeconomic."

We've all been victims, witnessed or at least heard about situations of soceoeconomic injustice. While the situation may technically not be 'unjust', any situation of misfortune in such a manner is welcome here. Anything in society, going on with the people around you or you yourself, that you deem unjust, unfair or just a damn shame. I'll start off.

One of my friend's boss owned a cafe. Executives of an arts college often went there and put meals they ate on the company's tab. After two months and a lot of money owed, the college refused to talk to her about the money, finding ways to divert her. Turns out, the college is doing is doing bad financially. With the money owed, she is unable to make rent payments and the building owner forcefully takes the cafe from her possesion. This is where the story ends for me. Just some extra information, she is a single mother of three and is paying a mortgage. So the business means a lot. My friend told me that she was seen crying on the steps behind the cafe. As far as i know, she doesn't have a lawyer.

Maybe i'll post some others later (2 am here).

I'm assuming that your friend's boss is also in Australia (based on your forum location saying Australia). Are there none of those 'no win no fee' lawyers in Australia? I thought those people were everywhere.

Either way, it sucks, can't she just go to the police? I'm sure that lack of payment pretty much counts as theft. I don't really know anything about legal processes anywhere, but surely through some sort of legal process she can get some money back?

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

I should probably change the title of it, but this forum is more for macro-level problems. What you're describing is more on a micro-scale. If you wanted to tie it back to a larger issue, that would be okay, but as it is, I may move the thread to general discussion if it continues. Also it's "socioeconomic."

While i understand where you're coming from, i felt the relationship between the two (micro and macro) should be enough, one could argue that many civilization problems stem from things of this level. To put it as a metaphor, the relationship is quantum and relative. I did, however, intend to keep this on the micro scale. So, categorize it as you wish, it won't change the content, so it doesn't bother me. One last thing, how did i miss that! Social has an 'i' I was tired

I'm assuming that your friend's boss is also in Australia (based on your forum location saying Australia). Are there none of those 'no win no fee' lawyers in Australia? I thought those people were everywhere.

Either way, it sucks, can't she just go to the police? I'm sure that lack of payment pretty much counts as theft. I don't really know anything about legal processes anywhere, but surely through some sort of legal process she can get some money back?

I think there are some of those types of lawyers, but like i said, that's where the story ends for me. Perhaps the college went bankrupt? I don't know.

Sign in to follow this  

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.