The Urbz: Sims In The City

Sign in to follow this  

Hey everyone, first time poster here, I wanted to share one of my all time favourite soundtracks from one of my all time favourite games. If you've ever played a Sims game, I doubt you'd ever expect them to end up on the Gameboy of all consoles, but lo and behold, the Urbz: Sims in the City is an open world game released on the GBA and is not only one of the best looking GBA games ever released, but also in my personal opinion, the best Sims game ever made. Unfortunately, the soundtrack is really horrible quality, but I'd love to see if anybody here experienced in MIDI can work their magic and un-compress the audio. If you're interested at the prospect of a Sims game on the GBA, I promise you it's unlike anything you've ever played, and I totally recommend it. I plan to do a video on my own Game Dungeon-esque show soon, but I'm not sure self promotion is allowed here, so I'll leave it at that until I can learn more :)

I did actually play the Max Payne GBA game! I'm something of an aficionado for good Gameboy games, and the Max Payne game really surprised me with just how excellently they managed to capture the core gameplay of the PC port with such a limited control set. That ambient music is also great. EDIT: I say "great" considering the quality, but I'm a bit too used to that sort of sound by now for it to even bother me, otherwise I can totally understand where you're coming from.

Edited by sleepjie (see edit history)

Just now, RaTcHeT302 said:

Ah, I guess you were a bigger fan than I was of GBA games, personally I would rather just play PC releases, or the original releases.

I think butchering the Max Payne theme is a crime against humanity though. I feel like, the soul of the music is mostly lost in the portable version.

I'm with you on that front, I think if you're going to listen to the theme you should always opt for the higher quality version, but I think there's just a certain charm to that really awful quality of GBA noise that speaks to my nostalgic side. I think they did well with what they had, and that's an important thing to keep in mind. I don't much like comparing apples to oranges, so to speak. 

1 minute ago, RaTcHeT302 said:

What's with the bongos though. Max feelin' a lil' bit tropical? Mhh... I guess that explains why he went to Brazil of all places after all.

BONGOS, bom bom bom

I wasn't sure why they switched over to HEALTH with their more "electronic" sound for MP3 either, but they absolutely killed it, so I'm not complaining.