NEW EPISODE: OIL'S WELL

Sign in to follow this  

Youtube

Medium quality (800x452) 70MB WMV

High quality (1280x720) 211MB WMV

Well the new episode is finally out, it took about 1-2 weeks longer than it should have for a lot of different reasons and has been the most problematic release so far for several other reasons. This episode contains an enormous amount of custom content I hunted down on the internet, as you'll see in the credits. So thanks to everyone who let me use their maps, models, and textures. The tone of this episode is a little different than the others as it was intended for an environmental contest that ended up getting postponed, but I'm releasing it anyway. It's a little fact-heavy as a result, most of the humor is towards the end. My primary reason for making this though was an excuse to use a one-liner I'd had in my mind for a while (the "hybrid car" one). And for those wondering, I took the corny title from the old computer game by the same name.

You should by no means assume anything said in Civil Protection or Freeman's Mind necessarily reflects my own beliefs, however this is one case where they do. The theme of this episode is how we're in big trouble once we run out of oil. The research I did on the topic suggest that things are going to get pretty ugly in the future. One expert interviewed by National Geographic says that the world oil supply is plateauing right now and we have about 6-8 years before it will start to decline and this guy was right on the money about when the U.S. was going to be be unable to rely on domestic oil back in the 70's. Besides what Mike mentions in the video (I won't spoil it), I think our only realistic solution is figuring out how to get cellulosic ethanol production to work on a mass scale (this isn't the same kind made from corn, sugar, and other crops). I'm not really a miltia type, but the more I read about the situation, the more it makes me want to live in a cabin out in the woods with guns and a bunch of canned goods. That would be a good place to be if society starts to fall apart. It'll be at least 10-20 years before things really get bad though.

If you hate this episode and think it's being too preachy, don't worry, this is probably the first and last episode of CP with any sort of "message". I'd rather focus on making funny, strange, or exciting videos anyway. Finally, check back in a few days and I'll have an update about what you can expect in the future with regards to CP and FM.

EDIT: I forgot ANOTHER person in the credits!  Oh well, his nickname is "JakeyB" and he did the port of "The Postal Dude" model I used as a cameo in this episode.

This episode had some great scenic shots. But now I want an alien invasion...

Well the sheer scale of this episode and the different maps/models used certainly makes this a great episode regardless of the 'lack' of humour.

Great Stuff !

Great episode, I can tell that it was a lot of work to go through. Though I'm a bit confused, you mentioned in a recent announcement that this episode would be the longest one yet, correct? Well this one is possible the shortest episode yet. So did I miss something? I can only assume that it'll be explaiend in the next announcement.
Nonetheless, great episode, I can tell that it still required quite a bit of work, I congradualate you in another successful episode.

Great message

Ever thought about somehow printing T-shirts with the Civil Protection logo on it (without infringing possible copyright laws). You'd probably make some good money, I know I'd buy it. Or if not, could you possibly consider releasing the vector image for the logo so we could print our own?

Great episode. It's nice to know that there are people that actually care enough to get their message out. Good job! I can't wait for the next episode! Peace Out!

Cool. Now, release another Freeman's Mind please! That's my favorite series

CP is pretty good too though

Hey Ross,
I love your work. Your videos are special in the fast as they are not very "dirty", or not using foul language as much as many other hit machinimas, which allows me to show them to my brothers. Although, I do have one favor to ask: would it be ok to upload all HD videos on filefront? This would allow me to save to my computer to watch, since i am frequently without an internet connection. Besides, I don't know about others, but the CP Episode 5 HD link doesn't work.

Thanks for the great work

Great work! I dont have any problems if you ever decide to do a similar episode.

Great job Ross!!

I thought that this was probably the most ambitious CP episode yet and you definitely pulled it off successfully. I really liked the variety of maps and characters and it was hilarious how you tied the whole thing back into Half-Life 2 at the end. Excellent work and I hope it does well in the contest!

Excellent episode, nice how you managed to keep a healthy degree of humor attached to an otherwise serious topic. The visuals were great too.

larry: You're a hippie, hippie!

anonymous guy: yeah, that was originally going to be for Halloween, I'll clear up everything in the next post

pjc: maybe, I haven't researched what would be involved in that. I don't have a vector drawing either, the logo isn't much bigger than what you see in the HQ version.

matthew: I can't promise all of them won't have language, but I really like it to count when I do use it. Filefront deletes your files if they go a couple days without getting any downloads is my main problem with it. I plan to set up mirrors once I get the new website up however. Don't worry, you'll get the high quality copies eventually, sorry they went down.

ben: Thanks, yeah it was tricky talking about today's world in the future of an alternate timeline.

Hey, Ross.

I was just wondering, what are the names of the maps you used to make this?

Outstanding job.

YEA! Thanks ROSS! I KNEW it would be out today. Call it a sixth sense (the ability to sense when a CP episode is out) but I knew it. Thank you!!

fantastic work but you scared the shit out of me.

Wow, Ross! I wasn't expecting this much, it's absolutely awesome! The mapping work was just mind-blowing, all the custom models would have been a pain to get working. I agree with the humor being excellent for the serious episode, I really really loved this one.

Thanks a whole bunch for your hard work!