3D gaming - Needle in a haystack search

Sign in to follow this  

I gather that a few people following @Ross Scott will probably share his passion for proper 3D gaming, and I've been searching the web for a while and can't find any relevant info or tips. This is a needle in a haystack search, because not only stereo 3D has become a niche, but I'm myself a "niche" user, since I use Linux.

About a year ago my monitor died, and being broke I decided to reuse an old 40" sony bravia 3D tv my parents had as a monitor. Being it 3D, I got its glasses going and managed to play some movies using MPV or Bino, but I decided to give 3D gaming a go (and thus I stumbled upon Ross's old 3D rant video) . Right now I got Elite: Dangerous running perfectly via Proton/Steamplay, and from the video settings I can set the game to a Side by Side 3D mode. The thing is, I'm not really into E:D anymore, I've burnt out with the constant poor updates, half baked gameplay loops and constant grind.

I'd love to  find a way to get games running in 3D (side by side or top-bottom modes work great). Also I noticed that the monitor runs at 120hz (60hz per eye/field) when set to a 3D mode (tested it with high speed camera on my phone). It'd be nice if there's also a way to use that in some way.

So TL;DR: I'd love to hear some tips about...

... How to get 3D (side by side) on linux

... games/movies you recommend playing in 3D (even if not on linux, I might get them going via Proton)

... Tips, do's/dont's about active glasses 3D usage

Some specs:

Ryzen 5 2400G

Radeon RX 570 (4gb)

Fedora Linux 32

PS: If you need some help with linux gaming, don't doubt on pinging me.

Edited by Willdrick
PS (see edit history)

I think you're likely to get more/better results asking this over on the LTT forums, as this is more along their lines of expertise. (and may even inspire an LTT video)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.