bugs again

Sign in to follow this  

Well whatever you do don't do option #3, it will look bad let me tell you.

Matt: I doubt anyone can fix this without rewriting the whole game and I highly doubt Valve is concerned about fixing one of their dated games or cares about any of these videos in the first place.

anonymous: I have some different thoughts for how I'll handle that and the WoW stuff is definitely out. I figure Half-Life takes place around 1999 or 2000, so there won't be any references to events that take place after that.

LaZodiac: It would take a very long time since most of the time involved with this is timing and rerecording, I'd rather just keep making more episodes.

you know what you could do, you could take a screen shot of the barnacles. cut and past the image over the invisibles ones in the final project.

Hmmm...Could you possibly decompile the maps and put ropes in place of the tongues?

dear ross,

what you haven't told us is which
is faster? other than that number
4 seems the best if you ask me.

if you dont like option 4 either ross. Then couldnt you just record the barnacle parts in the original half-life (or some of the other options) and the do the rest using the updated half-life. Im not an expert on the area, so i dont know if it is possible

-Andreas Kahlke

I haven't tested this, but perhaps starting the demo prior to the map loading would place the "tongues" in the appropriate position on playback.

Ross, please go for option B, you can always add a cool motion blur in virtualdub, using free plugins.

Actually, the only evidence of Half-Life's time period is in a letter stating '200X', so it it could be till nine, but anyway...

My Half-Life: Source crashes whenever I load up a demo, so I have no experience in this, but I do have a plausible answer:

Recording in frames without a full stutterless demo render can have a few noticeable issues other than a missing, later-added motion blur effect. But one thing you could try to get motion blur is place the video on an editing track, change the opacity to something like 50%, and duplicate the video one split second further ahead.

This may not get the best result, but it could open up a few ideas to getting such an effect in after editing.

Option 4 will be best if you don't find a way to fix the issue. Motion blur is probably the least important feature in an FPS, or at least for and FPS comedy video.

hey i luv ur vids and i was wondering r u doing freemans mind all the way through half life

Why not just reyplace the model and hope for the best?

Uzi.

WOW- Xanatos keeps up with Ross Scott's work? Awesome!

Sorry I'm not helping but I just found that to be uber cool.

THE Xanatos talking and trying to assist THE Ross Scott.

Epic. I'm such a fanboy. And a nerd.

Ah= option 4 sounds the best (still looks like a pain in the ass to do though). Good luck Ross. I wish I could help out more but I suck at computers.

The motion blur can't just be duplicated in post. He's talking about creating multiple times the number of frames in the original recording (like 90FPS) and having the software blur them together when taking it back to 30FPS for the video.

Personally, I like the idea of using Half-Life original if it weren't for the inconsistency. I prefer death animations and gibbing over ragdolls, especially for headcrabs and houndeyes. The only thing I like about the Source version is the improved sound.

It might slow down the release of your next video, but I bet there's someone at VALVe that would be willing to look into it. They generally like community projects, especially one so well received like this one.

PseudoKnight: No, that doesn't work, I've already been using that trick to get around disappearing bloodstains when demo recording.

And yeah, you have the right idea about the motion blur. I have to disagree with you on the ragdolls though, I frigging love those things.

Uzi: I'd love to, if there was a replacement.

pdan4: Who knows how many problems I could run into trying to recompile the map. If I'm going to that much trouble I may as well do a CP episode.

Otto: I didn't know that about 200_, where is that? And what you're describing is ghosting. I'd rather just forego the blur altogether than have it half-assed.

Option four. I could help you out with that one when I have the free time. And I seem to find "code geek" slightly offensive, I prefer Code Monkey.

Yeah, I think you'd run into a few more problems than just Motion Blur by recording it bare. I knew it was a dumb suggestion, but aw well. I guess the fourth option is the best. I did think Xanatos had a great solution, but it's a shame it doesn't apply for everyone.

Anyway, the time date is only shown in Freeman's job letter, which is found in the original game manual. The best image is found Here:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/68/FreemanJobLetter.jpg

Shouldn't really matter that much on any jokes you'll make though.