bugs again

Sign in to follow this  

Have you tried it on a different machine or with different video card?
I remember similar problems with the older version of Half Life, where OpenGl worked fine, but Direct3D had bugs. (Unfortunately there is no choice in the Source engine)

I'd still try to send an inquiry to Valve. You never know.

I'd go with option 3 or 4. Really, how it looks isn't all that important. Anybody who's played Half Life will recognize either HL Vanilla or HL: Source so that's not as important as making sure the barnacles look right. I doubt we'll notice a huge difference; I know I won't

To further iterate on the date of the Black Mesa Incident, calendars encountered throughout all of the games indicate that it is December (though oddly December 31 is missing).

Here is a picture of one encountered in the chapter Office Complex:
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/half-life/en/images/f/ff/C1a2a0000.PNG

Unfortunately the days are arranged so it is impossible to tell which day December began on, and thus which year it is.

What if you used FRAPS just for short barnacle scenes? You don't have to record the entire episode in FRAPS if you have a problem with it. i'm sure you're creative enough to find places where you can quickly "wipe" scenes either by Freeman passing an object, moving quickly around a corner (with motion blur) or some other way you can switch back and forth from different scenes all recorded at different times with different programs.

As apposed to recording the entire episode in one large shot.

if the barnacle plays directly into the action as an active character, use the wipe technique. if they don't later on, i don't think anyone will notice (or care) if barnacles don't have hanging tongues.

-Kawai Tei-

Did you try running with -dxlevel 81 ? If you use vista, it might fix the problem.

Optionally, you can always try the WeGame recorder.

way don't you put a high res Camcorder (or simular) at your screen and film wile playing

Oooh!! Why don't you kill them ahead of time, and say "Oh crap, looks like someone already got those hanging d*cks!" or someething like that.

I like the telekenisis option. They are aliens after all.

I wonder if people have modded in HL2 barnicles/models to HL:S.. Using HL2 models could help solve the problem... Although I'm useless at mapping.

Either way, your machinima is amoungst the best out there... I'm really enjoying your videos.

Nice work!

I know this probably wouldnt make a diffrence, but have you tried recording it in Gmod?

Anonymous guy: No I have not tried DirectX 8.1 mode (I'll give it a shot). I don't know why that would make a differenc, but who knows when it comes to Source. As for WeGame, I think that has the same limitations as Fraps.

Wait - I have an idea. How about in shots that do not have a Barnacle in them you record as per normal, but in those few shots that do contain them, save the game, switch your method of recording, film the shot, and then switch back after it done.

It's time consuming, and a few shots may not line up - but hey, we've got motion blur (most of the time)!

Ross:

Try wegame anyways and see what happens. If that doesn't work, ask someone in the valve steam group.

I'm curious: What DO you use to record these in?

Since I got Fraps and i'm not quite satisfied with it's lagginess at points.

Just as a suggestion, maybe replacing the barnacle files with the one's from Half-Life 2 could work, as both games are run on the Source engine. The problem that I think could arise to my belief would be that the quality of the barnacle would be far more superior to that of Half-Life in general. But perhaps the image can be rendered to match that of the quality of the others. This is just a suggestion and probably won't go ahead, but it's worth testing I suppose.