Tags in Subtitles

As I'm uploading files to YouTube, I am noticing some of them have tags, such as for italics or font colors.  Please note that YouTube does NOT seem to format these correctly.

I will strip out the tags for the ones already submitted, but if you will be submitting more files in the future, please do not have tags in the files.   Here's an example of what I mean.  Please view the attachments to this post.  I will be posting a before and after.  I would appreciate it if future subtitle files did not have these tags (as in the after image).

Thank you!

tagsbefore.png

tagsafter.png

This is a common misconception. You see, YouTube does in fact support color and stylization quite extensively. It's just that it doesn't for .srt format. You'd need to convert it to another format. I recommend .smi.

Doing so is quite simple, but I do NOT recommend converting with Subtitle Workshop. I recommend using the free Subtitle Edit, and performing a simple .srt to .smi conversion. After that, when uploading an .smi file, or any other stylized file accepted by YouTube (e.g. .vtt, .ytt, .stl etc.) just be sure not to modify it within YouTube's subtitle editor, as this deletes the stylization. If published as is, then tada, the stylization will remain on YouTube.

Alternatively, you may upload the stylized .srt file to a website called Captionfy, and then download it as a .smi to preserve the color for YouTube.