FREEMAN'S MIND: EPISODE 9

Sign in to follow this  

Good episode. If I had to criticise (and the voices in my head tell me I must) I would say I prefer FM to have shorter episodes (than CP, in general). But otherwise, good work, with some very memorable moments ("Class is in session! Take your seats!").

Awesome episode as always! It was nice to see the episode longer in length. I hope you finish your website soon

Once again you have made my day Ross. All the best with your new site.

On the subject of limiting Freeman's arsenal, if you are going to restrict him to carrying two or so weapons, how about 'swapping' some guns for others?

Such as when Freeman comes across the SMG for the first time, he picks it up in exchange for his pistol? Something like 'Is that a Submachine Gun? Sweet, time for an upgrade!'

So even though you are carrying both the SMG and pistol in game, you could only show him using the SMG, completing the illusion of him dropping the pistol.

This way you get to use the more powerful guns on larger enemies (the Nihilanth for example), and get the fanboys off your back.

This stuff keeps on getting better and better.

"And that means you too Billy"

Great video as usual! Really enjoying the Freeman's Mind series. I can't wait to see Freeman's reaction to the rocket engine test chamber...

Nice episode, though i can now see how truly long it will take to get through the whole game. I also think i got a good idea on how to get around some of those lengthy parts with not much potential for any good dialogue. You end one episode with something like "man... this is going to take a looooooong time" You start the next episode with him escaping something (or killing it). "Dam, i hope i never have to do that again" -cue that classical song that gradually gets faster as we watch little clips of freeman fighting enemies and hearing stuff like "Die already!" "THAT HURTS!" "Oh come on..." "Hey whats this?" behind the music. the snippets will be only the best kills and best moments for dialogue by freeman.

Oh! For the train part! That would be a hassle to film for an entire episode. Show clips of him crashing "STUPID MINI TRAIN!" and when he passes those areas where guys come out to shoot you "WHOS SHOOTING ME?!?!". Then you go back to the present with him saying something like "Man, it was like a disney ride gone bad. Really bad." Then move on.

PS: Sorry if i took the idea too far, but it all started coming to me once the idea started rolling.

I don't know if this has asked or answered before, really sorry if it has.

If and when you get to the end of Half-Life, do you think you will continue FM into Half-Life 2?

Dylan: Yep, this is asked very frequently. The same usual response is that there isn't any decision yet and it's way too far ahead to start planning.

It would be interesting to have it interfere with the Civil Protection story though.

I freakin love this series its like Ray Romano's evil twin worked for black mesa

I was hoping for a joke about the scientist who lost his life to a lamp.

Oh well.

Even the almighty Xanatos has even acknowledge the awesomeness that is Freeman's Mind.

Great work Ross. You're a genius. Can't wait for future videos from you. I'll just watch the old ones until then.

Hey Ross, Love all your work keep it up!

I have tried using Source recorder with HL:S but when ever I try to play back what I have recorded I recieve an error and my game dies. Have you had any experience with this?

Same problem, Drew. Though the error message occurs on heaps of different problems and you'll learn a lot more by reading about the message and following support instructions. Still, even after getting a new motherboard, I've never managed to fix this. It simply doesn't happen on some machines.

Ross I just want to say that your Source Machinima Cinematography guide is great, the motion blur effect is exactly what I've been looking for, I can't wait to test it for myself. I tried using Sony Vegas to get the effect but it's far too time consuming and tedious to set up and render to make it practical for use on a whole film, this new method should make the whole job a lot easier, faster and give me a far superior result.

Everyone: thanks for all the positive feedback, I'll get a new episode as soon as I can.

Drew: Sorry, I've had weird bugs, but not that kind.

Chris: Wow, I haven't seen that picture of Freeman before. That's neat that he has the coffee, but I have to say he looks FLAMING in that.

Master Chris: Hey glad you liked it. Yeah I'm really happy with the results of using that kind of motion blur processing. It's not fast at all, but at least you can queue up your jobs in Virtualdub and let it run in the background.

Ross, you shouldn't really worry about the bugs which I really didn't notice in ep9 and probably not just me.
It's all about ideas not how it's done.

Good luck with your new website and hopefully new episodes of FM.