GTA-styled zombie game?

Sign in to follow this  

I love the sandboxy-ness of the GTA series and i was thinking that it would work great as a zombie game. the civilians could be zombies and the people/missions could be with other survivors. i'd be surprised if this didn't already exist, if so that would be awesome.

(pretty shitty post but i think i got the point across. haha)

I've always wanted something in this style. Dead Island looks like it may sorta-deliver. Treyarch had a zombie apocalypse free roam game that was heavily focused on vehicles scheduled years ago, but it got shut down.

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

The only problem with free roam games is that they take a lot of designing if you want to fill the world; and a zombie apocalypse game is not likely have a ton of creative direction or intensive story writing behind it. However, it's only a matter of time before this idea does become reality, I believe, as the description itself would likely draw in plenty of buyers itself.

If I recall correctly, there is, or was supposed to be a GTA San Andreas mod that did just that. Turned everyone ('sept CJ) into zombies and there was supposed to be story missions/a story to go along with it, but I don't know what ever happened to it, if it's not dead, I guess it has the same release date as Black Mesa.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

I know a few of the GTA games had cheat codes that you could combine to achieve the effect (rainy weather, citizens armed with melee weapons, citizens follow, citizens riot), but it can never be the same as a specially constructed game. Left 4 Dead with a large open environment and non-linear gameplay would be perfect.

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

people understood what i meant! haha

i think you all have in mind what i was thinking, has there been anything more released about Dead Island other then the one video?

There has been a gameplay vid but it hasn't been realeased to the general populace (I think), but critics have checked it out and it seems good apparently. There is a heavy focus on melee as well.

Edit- I need to stop making posts at 2.30 in the morning, I sound like an idiot.

This is everything Steam has to say about the game:

"Terror. Violence. Madness. Bedlam. A holiday paradise gone mad.

A tropical island turns into total chaos after a mysterious zombie outbreak. Cut off from the rest of the world, the only chance to survive is to fight to the death and find a way to escape from the island.

Dead Island combines first-person action with a heavy focus on melee combat, character development and customization of a vast array of weapons. All of these gameplay features are presented in a dark story inspired by classic zombie movies with a gritty and engrossing campaign that can be played with up to 4 players in co-op mode."

Also, there's this information:

Single-player

Multi-player

Co-op

Steam Cloud

Valve Anti-Cheat enabled

Controller enabled

I think, if it truly were free roam, that would definitely be one of their major selling points. I wouldn't expect a game "inspired by classic zombie movies" to be too expansive or deep.

We still aren't done with the whole zombie craze?

If you don't like zombies/zombie games then don't worry about the topic.

We still aren't done with the whole zombie craze?

If you don't like zombies/zombie games then don't worry about the topic.

I'm not saying I don't. In fact I love zombies. But haven't there been enough zombie games lately? Just saying.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not saying I don't. In fact I love zombies. But haven't there been enough zombie games lately? Just saying.

i was just asking about a sandbox zombie game, of which there havent been any.

I'm not sure if this a necro-post or not, but have you checked out Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare?

It's even made by the same people who make the GTA games, Rockstar North.

I don't like writer's block, I prefer to call it writer's parry.

Yeah, It's quite a good game. But you have to play the original to really understand the storyline.