Natural disasters

Sign in to follow this  

Vancouver is calm disaster wise. There's been talk of a large earthquake in the medium-long term future but other than that it's the occasional mudslide or windstorm/rainstorm I feel very lucky to live here.

Active subduction zone that is approaching in recurrence interval, packed city, overhead powerlines. Truly, what could go wrong. :lol:

Harold Camping might as well have predicted "the big one". There's been talk for a long time about that. I'm okay with another earthquake 100-300 years from now.

Personally I'm happy with the fact that it means Infrastructure and building codes in the Lower Mainland have tough Earthquakeproofing standards. That kind of thing is 30% of the cost of the $2 Billion Port Mann Bridge replacement.

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

2011's been a pretty bad year for the South, although I can't complain as much as the people in Alabama or Missouri can. We've gotten so many severe thunderstorms and tornado watches, and the start of summer doesn't exactly help that issue.

I sort of wish I lived in Alaska.. I've never heard of tornadoes (possibly my #1 fear) there, nor any sort of crisis.

Megatsunamis: http://ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lituya_Bay_megatsunami

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

\m/ (^_^) \m/

Rock on.

O/

/|

/ \ This is Bob. Copy and paste Bob and soon he will take over internetz!

2011's been a pretty bad year for the South, although I can't complain as much as the people in Alabama or Missouri can. We've gotten so many severe thunderstorms and tornado watches, and the start of summer doesn't exactly help that issue.

I sort of wish I lived in Alaska.. I've never heard of tornadoes (possibly my #1 fear) there, nor any sort of crisis.

Megatsunamis: ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lituya_Bay_megatsunami

...I withdraw my statement.

Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

Megatsunamis: ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lituya_Bay_megatsunami

...I withdraw my statement.

See also:

Sublime wrote:

Before you pack your bags to run off to Alaska, consider the fact that it's the home to the worlds 2nd highest Richter scale recording (9.2 in 1964), as well as an 8.7 in 1965, and an 8.6 in 1957. Not to mention the risks of the oil industry; the Exxon Valdez spill occurred off Alaskan coasts. There's also the 1958 Lituya Bay Megatsunami. Come to think of it, they must have gotten all of their bad luck in the 1950s and 60s, should be pretty safe by now.

I read that as well, but your post was the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak.

Perhaps places such as Vermont or Maine are safer from natural disasters than most places in the US...

Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

Blizzards, ice storms, nor' easters, lake effect, the occasional hurricane, floods...

\m/ (^_^) \m/

Rock on.

O/

/|

/ \ This is Bob. Copy and paste Bob and soon he will take over internetz!

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 1 Anonymous, 68 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.