Anyone here know of a decent wireless card?

Sign in to follow this  

I've got some USB dongle for my wireless access and I've finally become sick of it repeatedly losing connection to the router downstairs for no apparent reason. Plus I believe it may be dying.

Anyway, it needs to fit in an ATX case and it needs to be either PCI-Express x1 or PCI. I can provide further information if needed. Hopefully people will have some decent suggestions. I am looking for myself though, but this might be an easier way of finding a good card. Thanks. :)

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

Actually, there isn't much difference in performance between a card and a dongle. Did you get a dongle with an external antenna? If you did, just get an 8dBi antenna.

If your dongle doesn't have an external antenna, then your particular dongle is the problem. (unless you're using XP, which sucks for wireless connections) I suggest this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166055 (I have one of these, and it works great)

Also, check and make sure that the router is a wireless-N capable router. If it isn't that could also be the problem. I suggest this one as a decent inexpensive router: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166039 (this I also have, it's very good)

However, if you're dead set against a USB adapter, here are a PCI-E and PCI card. The PCI-E one. | The PCI one.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.