Freeman's Mind - Episode 27

Sign in to follow this  

I've subtitled Episode 27. Mostly. I think I need some help with this one. There are a couple lines that, well, I just have no clue what is being said. The great pirate Freeman be sayin' fancy words I naught be understandin'. Arr...

18 - I deadlights captured the afore yaherra parrel-boarders.

20 - Well, blow me down foc'sle carve.

77 - I gives you me half a davy; I give you a cut of any loot we take.

I have tried to research pirating and nautical terms for these things but, well, I'm at a loss.

Thanks! :D

I'm going to be honest, I also have no idea what he is saying. I'll get in touch with him and get back to you. Also, your subtitles are a second or two delayed. You might want to check that out.

I downloaded (via keepvid.com) the Youtube video so it should be timed to that. In fact, all my videos are timed to the Youtube videos. Perhaps when I get some free time, I might adjust the timing on the subtitles for the downloadable copy (assuming that the downloadable copy is what you're saying is off).

Or are you saying that it's off in regards to the Youtube video? Because it's fine on my end.

Just guessing here:

I deadlights captured thee before yea could repel boarders?

Well blow me down for loads sea cove?

What you have for 77 sounds right to me. Either way, I reckon you'd best try and see if you can get some input from Ross, as he'll probably know what he actually said.

EDIT:

Alternatively:

My deadlights captured thee a'fore ya could repel borders.

Well blow me down for an old sea calf!

I gives ye me affidavi' I give ye yer cut of any loot we take.

http://www.hark.com/clips/dxkhkygpyw-freemans-mind-episode-27-half-life-machinima

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

danielsangeo: Yeah, thanks for clarifying.

Lord Sinister: Nice find, man!

Thanks, Lord Sinister. 77 possibly is right (with "affidavi'") but I'm going to wait for official word from Ross. I'm not sure what "old sea calf" has to do with a mounted gun...

No, he's saying he'd be blown down 'like an old sea calf' ie he was weak. I think.

For the affidavi, my guess is he's saying something like 'I'll give you half a davy' which probably means 'I'll give you my word' or something. Obscure pirate phrases ahoy? :D

Either way, I hope you've PM'd Ross. :P

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

he said "i'll give you me affidavit", which is a sworn oath. so he's saying basically that he's giving Barney his sworn oath that he will get a cut of his loot.

so yea, Lord S. had the right idea. :)

here's a wikipedia definition of the word affidavit to help clear it up a little more:

An affidavit (pronounced /ˌæfɨˈdeɪvɨt/, a-fə-day-vət) is a written sworn statement of fact voluntarily made by an affiant or deponent under an oath or affirmation administered by a person authorized to do so by law. Such statement is witnessed as to the authenticity of the affiant's signature by a taker of oaths, such as a notary public or commissioner of oaths. The name is Medieval Latin for he has declared upon oath. An affidavit is a type of verified statement or showing, or in other words, it contains a verification, meaning it is under oath or penalty of perjury, and this serves as evidence to its veracity and is required for court proceedings. Not all affidavits require a notary public for execution.

albeit it wasn't a written affidavit, it still applies.

i watch law and order so legal terms such as these are instantly recognizable to me. :)