Long and boring update

Sign in to follow this  

You're projecting a lot onto what I wrote. I don't think I've ever said that I don't like doing Freeman's Mind. What I DON'T like is animating really, Freeman's Mind is sort of a break from that, but I produce stuff I consider less worthwhile that way. I'm actually not going out of my way to bore people, I find this process boring myself, so I thought I'd document some of it.

The longer the episode takes, the more of a no-win scenario it is as far as giving any updates, as long as I'm still behind. For the percentage of people like yourself who are just happy to receive an update, even if it's not saying much, there's probably another percentage of people who have no idea what goes into a CP episode, and more understanding on that front might mitigate some reactions. That's more what this post is for. There's also another group of people who don't want to hear anything less than "it's done", so ANY update there can cause more negative feedback than none at all.

Finally, I basically hate giving updates unless I feel like I have something to show, or I'm producing content relatively frequently. I don't like being "all talk" as it were. The more I talk about something I'm working on, yet don't deliver on it, the worse I feel about it.

Damn it looks mighty frustrating to get anything at all done. One wonders how Valve get stuff made what with you apparently finding bugs left right and center.

Probably because they are the ones that fix the bugs, so when they come across one they figure out exactly what it is in the engine and change it.

Hey, an update is better than no update. I usually don't like being left hanging. And it had information to relieve my impatient-ness. As I had said many times before, I can wait. Waiting is what I live for. Well, with the Source Engine, it is.

Well, as I said before, it's not my intention to offend you. I really do like and admire your work. I've also programmed a few games and programs before and currently build websites now so I know how frustrating software can be. I am also glad you replied to my post. It tells me that you take the time to look and read and hopefully try to understand what your viewers think and I appreciate and respect you for that. However, I believe you do like to animate. You just hate the crap that goes along with trying to deal with the animation engine. If you didn't like to animate then you wouldn't, and most likely couldn't, but as much detail and forethought into your creations. You're a creative perfectionist by my reckoning and one that has a good sense of what makes an interesting story and can translate it very well into video.

As far as updates go, maybe percentages and time estimates should not be relayed as much as just that you are still about and are still working on things conveyed in a non-variable-based, non-computer jargon language. Updates don't have to always be about the videos you are working on. Your fans just want to hear from you and be reassured things are moving smoothly. As far as I can tell, you have some really patient fans and that says something about the quality you produce. Good things come to those who wait.

Thanks Ross

I do agree it is cool to see what goes into making one and thanks for the update but maybe we can get a updaly lol just joking keep up the good work

I think you need to allow yourself time for a toga party in the near future. Long enough to regain your sanity, then lose it again in another way. I believe I speak for myself, and the rest of us on this page when I say "that's how all of us here unwind. ALWAYS."

Hey Ross, update from me to you:

I really enjoy your videos, really admire your contributions to the PC community, and really appreciate your dedications to us the fans.

In short: you're the man!

i dont want to have another update like this even my patience level is not enough for something this long and boring. but i do like that you finally gave us a update

Please add a donation button after the nxt cp episode

So you can get a little breaking action going by wasting our donated money on coke and hoes

Kiddin, but please do so, you've earned it

Keep up the awesome work,

yours sincerely,

Sw0rD

Freemans Mind is epic. dont care what you guys say. or anyone for that matter. its become like...a trend between my friends and i.Gordon Freeman is more powerful than Chuck Norris, and the crowbar is a godly item of destruction. so thanks Ross,for FM its hilarious and i commend you for creating it. its nearly impossible for me to play Half Life without ranting as you do. anyways, cant wait for next CP and FM thanks again and good job dude.

Hey Ross, about the npc facing a random direction of the ai_scriptedschedule, use a scripted sequence with "turn to face" to correct that.