Long and boring update

Sign in to follow this  

I've been meaning to give a minor update as I tackle one problem after another, however I realized that I don't think I've ever given a total update of everything I'm doing when working on an episode. Judging from the comments, some people think they're missing something when I don't give an update all the time. You're really not, but as proof, I've documented everything I can remember from yesterday. So here's a sample for you of everything you missed, just yesterday:

--Finished animating as much as possible of an interior scene. Won't be able to continue animating the rest the scene until after done filming up to a certain point as I need to see layout of where the physics props end up for continuity. Adjusted several more dynamic props that don't match up with other scenes unintentionally for continuity purposes. Probably spent about an hour animating an investigation sequence for Dave, ended up scrapping it since it doesn't look very good and there won't be a lot of reason to keep the camera off Mike for that scene. Completed difficult sections of Mike investigating. Adding info_targets and syncing up with Faceposer for looking around the room was kind of a pain. Alternated between aiscripted_schedules and scripted_sequences for movement around the room. Ended up using aiscripted_schedules for beginning to navigate through doorway, but scripted_sequences afterwards, except only for movement and orientation, not animations. Still not sure if there's any logic whatsoever as to what direction an npc will face after completing an aiscripted_schedule. Would be a helpful function that Alex could look into, though I doubt there's much he can do, plus I already asked him about finding a way to implement custom movement animations into aiscripted_schedules. Not optimistic about that.

--Readjusted some env_physexplosion entities since their usage still looks slightly unnatural + timing is off. If I push the values too high, I risk getting sparks and dust clouds from friction, which doesn't make sense for the subject matter. Don't know how to eliminate the dust cloud, maybe the sparks use a .vmt I can hunt down and make transparent. I hate crap like this. May have to come back to tomorrow.

--Ryan deleted the online utility he made for creating soundscripts again. I don't know why he spends time working on things only to delete everything he's ever done periodically. Left him a message, but probably no chance of reaching him within the next 72+ hours. Emailed Alex about an offline utility so I don't have to do it manually. Got lucky and reached him. Utility didn't work due to runtime dependencies, I'll look into it later, I've already made the soundscripts for the hardest parts remaining.

--Sent Alex some follow-up information on the map database project that could help future episodes go a little faster.

--Did a test shot for a potential slow motion sequence from Ben's animation. Found out that for reasons unknown the engine is skipping some frames of the animation. Tried it again and it skipped even more frames. This is a major bug, Ben will work on smoothing out the animation and maybe increasing the source framerate, though I don't know if that will make any difference. I'm somewhat worried about finding a solution to this, I might be able to record multiple shots and splice in individual frames if the location is random in the animation. At at least one point it isn't. Was almost not bitter and angry about the source engine before this happened.

--Finished an outdoor transition scene, added aiscripted_sequences for citizens walking in background, adjust a lot of dynamic props and pathway of main character to look more natural. Decompiled some other maps to try and pull some good light values for the scene. Found some after about 15 VRAD compiles of the map. Took notably less time than I expected, not nearly as long as the last transition map I worked on. Scene's a little dark, but it looks good.

--Ben's animation isn't done yet, but the end positioning is mostly final enough for me to get started on the next scene. Also need to tackle lighting for early map again since some bug is occurring between the episode 1 and 2 engine again. Can work on this stuff tomorrow and hopefully start filming. Still a little worried about lighting continuity, but I'll see what happens. Really worried about the bug with Ben's animation, but if I focus on that I'll never finish.

--It's looking more likely I'm going to have to do this animated texture myself afterall.

--Got some more emails, replied to Gareth, nothing else looks that urgent, I'll catch up at some point, my "to reply" list is about 120 emails long at the moment.

So you can see for yourself how exciting working on an episode is and all the fun you're missing out on when I don't update. When you don't get lots of updates, I'm basically sparing you from all this.

The short version:

I plan to finish up as many odds and ends as I can today and begin filming by tonight or tomorrow. The animation still isn't done due to how some of the workflow is playing out, but if at any point I get to a point where I'm waiting on other content, I'll resume work on Freeman's Mind.

Oddly enough even getting a boring update is very satisfying. I've always been curious about what goes into making both FM and CP... thanks for the boring look behind the curtain.

No. There wasn't enough details. What were you wearing? How long were the toilet breaks? Have you been eating enough roughage?

Actually it was quite interesting and yet strangely frustrating to read the amount you have to work through. Really looking forward to more CP.

I'm always happy to see what's going on, if it's not too stressful for you please post boring updates like that in the future! I'm quite worried when I don't know anything about you Ross and how the work on the the series ar going. I hope you have some time to rest as well. I'm a bigger FM fan but I really can't wait for that CP episode too 'Coz they are very creative and fun. Thanks for the update again..

(a little suggestion for the site.. it whould be useful to see wether I'm logged in or not like "Hi tsabszy" or "You are logged in as.." or something like that at the top right corner if it's not a big problem or others find it useful too)

I have to second that part about the frustration. I write music, and know exactly how it is when your program is having issues, or something isn't working out right. Usually I just put off working on a song that's giving me issues and leave it for another day, but this shows Scott's amazing badass determination to get shit done.

Wow. I'm suprised you have time for all of that. Thanks! I am looking forward to seeing the next CP episode, the short trailer you released a while back was good. I do enjoy freeman's mind, but you have to balance the two in my opinion as well. Just because all these idiots want more freeman's mind, you should do what you want. Personally, I can wait a while for you to finish this before you make more FM, but you should do what you want. Thanks for them both, enjoy them a lot!

People want to see progress is all. A lack of communication frightens their weak minds into thinking doubtful thoughts. TO QUESTION IS TO DOUBT!

You know what?

I understand you don't like FM and you don't like giving updates and you don't like being hounded. I appreciate your ability and like your movies but don't insult me by trying to intentionally bore me with what you think I will deem as your drudgery. I don't care about your sordid details of movie making. I know you know how to do it and you don't have to throw out the 'shop talk' to try to deter me or anyone else from asking when you are going to come out with your next video or how it's coming along. If I were you i'd take it as a compliment that people want to know when the next vid is coming out. If you can't estimate time then just throw a short comment saying you're still alive and kicking or something.

No offense here, but just say what you think and do the best you can. Please don't try to influence my future comments based on what you are 'sick of', namely inquiries about future episodes.

That being said, keep making the great films you always do and keep the updates reasonable and reasonably frequent.

Thanks

Actually I found that kind of interesting, not riveting and definitely not something to repeat on a daily or weekly basis but it sated my curiosity. As a programmer I can understand your frustrations though of course animating is no doubt at least one order of magnitude greater in potential frustration then programming alone. I mean there are just so many MORE ways it could not do what you've been trying to get it to do for the last three to five hours! It makes me appreciate more your commitment to quality.

Good luck on those strategies to make your job easier man! We'd all like those to be a success.

-Uncle t

I don't use gmod because for the kind of animation I'm doing, I don't know if there's much it offers over the Source SDK. I plan to get forums up, but I'm mainly focused on completing the episode, working on anything else just delays it further and that's been done too many times now.