Steam on macbook

Sign in to follow this  

Well, I'm entertaining the idea of buying a macbook, but i'm not quite sure yet. you know how macbooks are different than "normal" laptops (I'm still thinking what's better for me: HP tablet or Macbook, (I must say I'm in love with macbook pro) If I buy the laptop or a tablet with a Microsoft OS I'll be able to install all my games on CDs or DVDs. Steam? I wouldn't have to download it because I got it with the Orange Box.

I just want to ask if anybody had the same situation. If I get a Macbook how do you suppose I get back my steam account and games? I will be using it for work but it would be cool to have Steam on it too. So, If I get a macbook, will I have to download steam on it and log in as my current account...Or not and abandon the idea of buying an apple thing and buy a laptop.

Yes, I'm actually thinking about Macbook pro, but it's just one of my ideas. Macbook is cool but like I said before, it's juts a better option. I know that macs arent better than pc, but I'm asking about mobile computers. They have better display quality, they are easier to use, they don't have viruses, but they are more expensive...And one isn't able to play games on them...Although if you have steam, But... How does it work? that's the question...

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

I am kind of confused about the question but I think you're asking whether you can use Steam and play Steam games on a Macbook.

My friend has a Macbook. And according to him you can just install Steam on it and play any Mac supported games. I think pretty much all newer Valve games support Mac and many indie titles(Here are all supported Steam games: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?os=mac&category1=998). And If you want to play other Games I'm afraid you have to look for some kind of third party software.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Steam does work on macs. I should know because this summer while my computer was in repair I was playing TF2 on the mac. Now, it wasn't anywhere near as smooth as the PC and the mouse, even when using a PC one, feels odd for video games. Not to mention you'll lose a lot of your purchased games because while steam works on mac, not all it's games have been ported over.

and don't get me started on the whole "PC is better than mac" thing. I use both and they both outdo each other in their own fields. Most anyone who says differently doesn't really know what they're talking about.

Retired Forum Moderator

Thank you. That's exacly what I wanted to know.

I didn't want to start this dicusion what is beter, because PC and Mac are both good.

I think I'll buy this macbook anyway, it looks good for me, considered the fact Steam (and lot of diffrent aplications like gimp, word office) works on it. Thanks.

Okay, everything is alright but When I launch Steam for the first time, it starts to update but never compete the update.

Every time I got this message: "Steam needs to be online to update. Confirm your network connection"

Strange bacause I downloaded other apple aplications without any problems.

Check your firewall?

Also, it is a myth that Macs cannot get infested with viruses and other malicious software, sorry. Whilst a Mac may be immune to any particular viruses that are coded to run under Windows, this does not preclude the possibility of a virus being coded to run under a Mac. That virus in turn would not run under Windows.

I am hardly an expert in this by any means (nor anti-Mac), but it's always better to be safe than sorry. :)

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

Eerything is allright with it. I foreget to write I found a solution on Steam forums. It's a common problem on macs, So I hasn't any problems with fixing it.

I've already installled it and it works fine. I think you can lock this thread, thanks guys :)

Topic closed on request. :)

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."