Game Genres

Sign in to follow this  

I'd personally say there's no such thing as a puzzle game that relies on a lot of story. If it does, it's just an adventure game.
1.jpg This may be my favorite game of the last 5 years or so.

Here's an easy distinction between puzzle games and adventure games. Puzzle games have JUST puzzles. As soon as you finish one, you move to the next. They often have almost no story, but not always . Adventure games let you move around, look at things, interact in different ways, and almost always have a storyline to it.

Yes, the Myst series is a cornerstone of gaming for me as well. If you can stomach it's slow pace in this age of high octane shooters, then you're in for a great time.
It all depends on your preference, for me, Myst is the Halo of adventure games. It's alright, but I never got why some people were so fanatical about it. It had good atmosphere, but was relatively light on story compared to most adventure games out there. For that time period I enjoyed The Journeyman Project a lot more.

Yes, the Myst series is a cornerstone of gaming for me as well. If you can stomach it's slow pace in this age of high octane shooters, then you're in for a great time.
It all depends on your preference, for me, Myst is the Halo of adventure games. It's alright, but I never got why some people were so fanatical about it. It had good atmosphere, but was relatively light on story compared to most adventure games out there. For that time period I enjoyed The Journeyman Project a lot more.

But how do you feel about some of it's sequels ?

non-euclidean fuck machine

Well, Myst gave away very little of the background story, and that's one of the things I loved about it. Riven expanded on the background of many of the characters and in total had way more story. Story was embedded in every scene in Riven. And of course, on top of the two games, there were two novels which exposed even more of the background behind Myst and Riven.