Game Genres

Sign in to follow this  

So in the FPS thread there was a little debate going about what classifies as a FPS and a RPG, a hybrid, a FPS with RPG elements ect. However this was deemed off-topic, which I agree with. Soooo, I made this thread. To talk about Video Game Genres in general. What do you think classifies as what, what shouldn't classify as something and why ect. Its pretty interesting since sometimes games can be pretty vague about what genre it is in.

I'll guess I start with something out of the previous thread. I don't think the Elder Scrolls Games(the newer ones anyway) are FPSs(side question, this has been bothering me for a while, how do you pluralize FPS? FPS', FPSs, FPS's?) because they don't center around gunplay, they center around creating your own character. Which is what I perceive as an RPG, you being able to create your own character and have the ability to end up with vastly different characters every time you play the game.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

One thing that annoys me about game genres is the complete disregard of the proper definition of an Adventure game. For example, if you go to Amazon right now and look at games listed under the "Adventure" genre, you get games like Just Cause 2, Fallout: NV, Saint's Row 3...

To clarify, these are not adventure games. The character may be literally going on an adventure, but that's not what the term adventure means when applied to games. This seems like the simplest thing, but so many people and sites seem unable to grasp it.

Here is wikipedia's reasonably wide definition of an adventure game:

An adventure game is a video game in which the player assumes the role of protagonist in an interactive story driven by exploration and puzzle-solving instead of physical challenge.

This would include games like Monkey Island, LA Noire, Myst, and perhaps more loosely a game like Portal. Personally, I think Portal and Portal 2 fit Adventure better than Puzzle, because it's more story based than the label "Puzzle" allows.

But what is the difference between a puzzle game with a story and a adventure game then?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But what is the difference between a puzzle game with a story and a adventure game then?

I'd personally say there's no such thing as a puzzle game that relies on a lot of story. If it does, it's just an adventure game.

When I think puzzle games, my mind tend to drift more towards titles such as Bejeweled, Zuma and Tetris, that is games that are designed around some sort of game mechanic or gimmick. So in my opinion Portal and Portal 2 definitely fit my criteria for puzzle games since they are designed around the mechanic of using portals, and when I think of adventure games, I think of games that are more story-centric and not designed around a mechanic or gimmick, good examples being Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Longest Journey and so on.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Fair enough. Really portal is one of the only games that comes up as puzzle game with story(adventure game). I have never really played a lot of Puzzle games. But that is for the same reason I wouldn't want to play a target range game, the mechanic is fun 'n all but it alone does not hold up as a game. But Portal has a lot more to it than just plain puzzles, it has character and story something that makes me want to continue to play. Sadly I don't know of many puzzle games that have this.

When I think puzzle games, my mind tend to drift more towards titles such as Bejeweled, Zuma and Tetris, that is games that are designed around some sort of game mechanic or gimmick. So in my opinion Portal and Portal 2 definitely fit my criteria for puzzle games since they are designed around the mechanic of using portals, and when I think of adventure games, I think of games that are more story-centric and not designed around a mechanic or gimmick, good examples being Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Longest Journey and so on.

Ninja'd me there. The big difference between Portal and game like Bejeweled is, as mentioned before, Portal has character and a story that makes me want to continue to play the game. Games like you mentioned do not. They are more like Pac-man, they are about reaching a score rather than experiencing a story.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, I don't want to count them as adventure games because there's no inventory, you never interact with anyone aside from listening to monologues and basicaly all you do is going from puzzle to puzzle and every puzzle is centered around the same basic mechanic of using portals, even if Portal 2 adds some new elements into the mix, they never take away that focus. I mean, the story is there, but it never has the centerpoint, you're basically just going from room to room and being forced along a linear path, even the boss fights are variations on the central game mechanic. Sure, it's a puzzle game with a story but it's still a puzzle game in my opinion.

It all depends on how much you wanna focus on whether the games are story-driven or not, in my opinion they're not because you advance through the game not by story choices or cutscenes, but by solving puzzles. As Eedo said, a puzzle game never relies on story, and in my opinion, Portal and Portal 2 do NOT rely on story. The story is just there to spice up the game and sort of make it feel less like a puzzle game but in my opinion, it's not enough to make it an adventure game. I definitely feel the story takes a side seat to the gameplay in these games.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Well, I don't want to count them as adventure games because there's no inventory, you never interact with anyone aside from listening to monologues

You just described Myst.

Alright. By the way, I think Portal 2 relies almost more on story than the puzzles, and that was actually something that lots of people criticized about it. There were actually entire chapters that had no big puzzle chambers to speak of,

like when you're being led through the facility by Wheatley after escaping from Glados.

I've never played Myst, so I wouldn't really know how to describe it.

Well, to explain, Myst is one of the prime examples of classic adventure games, alongside games like Monkey Island. In myst, you solve puzzles without an inventory. Puzzles in adventure games that rely on combining and using items your carrying in your inventory are rightfully called "inventory puzzles" (duh). Puzzles like those in Myst that mainly involve physically interacting with the environment without carrying things around, are called "Environment Puzzles". The only characters you talk to in Myst are live action cutscenes that play out without any intervention by the player (though which cutscenes play is a result of player choice).

Myst is a brand of adventure game opposite that of Monkey Island, which I get the feeling is the sort of thing you're used to. Monkey island is a third person adventure game based on inventory puzzles. Myst is a first person adventure game based on environment puzzles.

I've never played Monkey 3. I really want too though.

Not as good as Monkey Island 1 or 2, if that's what you're expecting. I'd blame the fact that Tim Schafer wasn't on board writing for it.

You should play Myst, or at least Riven. One of the greatest moments of my childhood is going playing Myst with my dad, even if I couldn't solve any of the puzzles.

Hi Friend.

Yes, the Myst series is a cornerstone of gaming for me as well. If you can stomach it's slow pace in this age of high octane shooters, then you're in for a great time.