Battlefield 3 Singleplayer

Sign in to follow this  

Seems like I'm one of the few people who actually really enjoyed the singleplayer campaign of Battlefield 3. Any chance that there's someone else who liked it, too? The action sequences, the music, and the acting (especially with the "good" CIA agent) were my favourite aspects of it. I can honestly say I had more fun with this campaign than say, Half-Life 2. It really captured me with its cinematic feel.

That's just my opinion, though. No need to go spreadin' it around...

I played most of it at my cousin's house and, it wasn't bad. I mean, I'm not sure if I like it more than HL2 but I did enjoy it. It's certainly better than most reviews are saying which mostly just praise multiplayer.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

Yeah it wasnt bad, I kinda liked it actually. Battlefield seems to have taken cods campaign, pumped some realism into it and made it look nicer. This is not a bad thing if you ask me, they pull it off good with nice graphics and awesome sound. I usually dont like railway campaigns, but this is one thats actually good, DICE really captures the feeling of being a soldier sneaking around in the dark alone. My only complain: I was able to follow the campaign all the way to the end, and then I lost it. Ive heard that you have to pay attention to the dates, I know about the train mission but other than that Im really lost in space. Im currently replaying the campaign trying to understand it a bit more.

So yeah, this campaign is good, hell, its really good.

"Life sucks sober!"

realism

Not sure if you understand what this word means.

Bullet drop, more realistic aim, the dialogue is more believable and the sound is pretty realistic too. It just seem more realistic compared to all the other shootets out there.

"Life sucks sober!"

It just seem more realistic compared to all the other shootets out there.

ARMA

Operation Flashpoint

Red Orchestra

BF3 is just as silly as COD.

It just seem more realistic compared to all the other shootets out there.

ARMA

Operation Flashpoint

Red Orchestra

BF3 is just as silly as COD.

Yes ARMA is a hell lot more realistic (I meant to say: "seems more realistic than most shooters out there". I havent played the other games you listed, but I do know that ARMA is a simulator therefore its pretty obvious that its more realistic than bf3. And you saying that bf3 is just as silly as cod is your opinion I have no saying there, however I do not agree with you, cod's campaign is not nearly as good as bf3's campaign IMO, and like I said, it looks and sounds a hell lot better.

Now ARMA is a simulator and bf3 is a regular FPS, therefore I think bf3 is realistic compared to cod, killzone, medal of honor etc.

"Life sucks sober!"

cod's campaign is not nearly as good as bf3's campaign IMO

Problem being that all the elements from the BF3 campaign were ripped straight from various Call of Duty single player campaigns.

cod's campaign is not nearly as good as bf3's campaign IMO

Problem being that all the elements from the BF3 campaign were ripped straight from various Call of Duty single player campaigns.

Well yes, the cutscenes and all that, but its all done so much better than cod. It feels to me like DICE were trying to make cod look like crap, and in my opinion they succeeded.

Its like a COD campaign with steroids.

"Life sucks sober!"

Yeah it wasnt bad, I kinda liked it actually. Battlefield seems to have taken cods campaign, pumped some realism into it and made it look nicer. This is not a bad thing if you ask me, they pull it off good with nice graphics and awesome sound. I usually dont like railway campaigns, but this is one thats actually good, DICE really captures the feeling of being a soldier sneaking around in the dark alone. My only complain: I was able to follow the campaign all the way to the end, and then I lost it. Ive heard that you have to pay attention to the dates, I know about the train mission but other than that Im really lost in space. Im currently replaying the campaign trying to understand it a bit more.

I'm one of those rare few that actually really likes "railway" sequences/campaigns and QTEs. To me, they make the scene feel much more interactive and cinematic, opposed to a game like Half-Life 2 which could have a really cool scripted event, but leave you in control the entire time. To me, that kind of takes away from the feel of the scene if you're free to move and jump around like an idiot when something important is happening.

I know, it's utter blasphemy for me to LIKE the game taking control away from me and QTEs, and I should be burned at the stake, but... Opinions. Opinions everywhere. To each his own.

I'm one of those rare few that actually really likes "railway" sequences/campaigns and QTEs. To me, they make the scene feel much more interactive and cinematic, opposed to a game like Half-Life 2 which could have a really cool scripted event, but leave you in control the entire time. To me, that kind of takes away from the feel of the scene if you're free to move and jump around like an idiot when something important is happening.

I know, it's utter blasphemy for me to LIKE the game taking control away from me and QTEs, and I should be burned at the stake, but... Opinions. Opinions everywhere. To each his own.

Actually, despite the fact that I prefer more control, I have also always liked the way that the Battlefield SP campaigns operate.

I am really looking forward to getting BF3 to play it's campaign so I can properly review it in this thread.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Yes, yes you should be burned at the stake..... I kid(And sleep well tonight >:) ).

I think cutscenes are an absolutely terrible way to show the player something. It's like a little kid pushing a crayon drawing he made in your face and yelling "LOOK WHAT I MADE, LOOK AT IT, HEY LOOK WHAT I DID AND HOW GOOD I AM". It's annoying.

And usually takes drama away from a situation instead of adding to it. When I see some black bars at the bottom of the screen or I simply loose control of the camera I instantly already know something is gonna happen taking A LOT of the effect out of the moment. When my camera suddenly snaps to a building next to me it, I directly know something is gonna happen with that building. If it then explodes it has a lot less impact than, say, I am shooting some dudes and all of the sudden HOLYFUCKWAA building to the right of me collapses.

Everything has so much more impact on the player if you let the player discover it for her-/himself instead of spoon feeding her/him every event. It also feels a hell of a lot more natural than cutscenes.

And if a player decides to jump around like crazy and screw around she/he has already decided she/he doesn't care about whatever the game is trying to show(whether that be a cutscene driving the story forward or a cutscene trying to dramatize the whole situation) making the her/him force to watch it isn't going to make her/him like it more.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes, yes you should be burned at the stake..... I kid(And sleep well tonight >:) ).

I think cutscenes are an absolutely terrible way to show the player something. It's like a little kid pushing a crayon drawing he made in your face and yelling "LOOK WHAT I MADE, LOOK AT IT, HEY LOOK WHAT I DID AND HOW GOOD I AM". It's annoying.

And usually takes drama away from a situation instead of adding to it. When I see some black bars at the bottom of the screen or I simply loose control of the camera I instantly already know something is gonna happen taking A LOT of the effect out of the moment. When my camera suddenly snaps to a building next to me it, I directly know something is gonna happen with that building. If it then explodes it has a lot less impact than, say, I am shooting some dudes and all of the sudden HOLYFUCKWAA building to the right of me collapses.

Everything has so much more impact on the player if you let the player discover it for her-/himself instead of spoon feeding her/him every event. It also feels a hell of a lot more natural than cutscenes.

And if a player decides to jump around like crazy and screw around she/he has already decided she/he doesn't care about whatever the game is trying to show(whether that be a cutscene driving the story forward or a cutscene trying to dramatize the whole situation) making the her/him force to watch it isn't going to make her/him like it more.

I agree with this, (even though I like bf3s campaign) if things just happen while you are in control then it has a lot more impact. There are probably some exceptions.

"Life sucks sober!"

I think I see one problem with that, though (And I know this has happened to me plenty of times in games). You're fighting an enemy, HOLY SHIT THEY'RE EVERYWHERE, suddenly something blows up, but you don't notice it because you're not facing it, and concentrating on fighting the enemy. So you miss it. Great. It was probably something really cool, too.

I don't think cutscenes are a "forceful" way of showing the player something. I think they convey a cinematic presentation style of storytelling.

Example: Blackburn is chasing after Solomon on a hijacked New York subway train. After fighting his way through several armed terrorists, he reaches the end of the train car. He sees Solomon on the other side of the door, tapping at something. Thinking fast, Blackburn climbs out a nearby window and holds on for dear life on the side of the train. He manages to jump to the train car in front when suddenly BOOM! The car he just escaped from is engulfed in a fiery explosion. Momentarily distracted by this, Blackburn looks through the window of the car he is now clinging to, to see Solomon pointing his .44 Magnum at him. He fires a shot a Blackburn, which misses, but causes Blackburn to lose his grip. He manages to grab onto the back before he falls off completely. Regaining his composure, he climbs to the roof, and begins to slowly creep his way forward to a blasted hole further up ahead while firing at more terrorists sticking their heads out of the side windows, trying to take him out. Blackburn jumps through the hole, and continues on his way. He comes to the final car that is filled with explosives, and an unarmed man. Blackburn readies his gun and begins to approach the man, but as he enters the car, Solomon is waiting around the corner and disarms him. Blackburn and Solomon are briefly locked into a fist fight that ends with Solomon seemingly having the upper hand. He stands over Blackburn, pointing his Magnum squarely at his head. "Are you alone?!" He demands.

Example of what I don't like: After hearing gunshots behind them, Gordon and Alyx finally make it to their escape train. Gordon is holding his weapon in the "ready" position. Alyx grabs the train doors. They hear the Combine's bullets pinging off of it as it closes. Gordon is holding his weapon in the "ready" position. The train begins to speed away, and Alyx lets out a sigh of relief after a tiring escape from the Citadel. Gordon is holding his weapon in the "ready" position. Still getting her bearings together, she gives Gordon a congratulations for rising above the call of duty once again. Gordon is holding his weapon in the "ready" position. Suddenly, the train starts to shake. Something is VERY wrong. Alyx buckles down and tells Gordon to brace himself, as they are about to be derailed. Gordon is holding his weapon in the "ready" position. THE TRAIN CRASHES, HOLY SHIT. The screen fades to black. As Gordon wakes up, he is already in a standing position on the other side of the crashed train, holding his weapon in the "ready" position.

inb4 go watch a movie if that's what you like. Again, preferences.

Nice little stories there(just to clarify, that is not meant sarcastically).

I liked the first one better, you know why? Because it is what it is, a written story. Games are so much more than that, Games are interactivity, if they weren't they would be obsolete.

And Game developers worry to much about that not everything they make is gonna be seen by every player. That is a mindset developers should get rid of very quickly. Because that's the beauty of gaming. You are gonna miss a lot, you are gonna get hurt and die, you are not gonna have a perfect stroll through the game as intended by the developers. This is what makes games feel natural. Or in some cases doesn't.

And yeah, I'm gonna say watch a movie because that is what these kind of rail shooters are, every experience is nearly identical. Which is my reason to judge them as bad games. Good movies maybe, but bad games.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nice little stories there(just to clarify, that is not meant sarcastically).

I liked the first one better, you know why? Because it is what it is, a written story. Games are so much more than that, Games are interactivity, if they weren't they would be obsolete.

And Game developers worry to much about that not everything they make is gonna be seen by every player. That is a mindset developers should get rid of very quickly. Because that's the beauty of gaming. You are gonna miss a lot, you are gonna get hurt and die, you are not gonna have a perfect stroll through the game as intended by the developers. This is what makes games feel natural. Or in some cases doesn't.

And yeah, I'm gonna say watch a movie because that is what these kind of rail shooters are, every experience is nearly identical. Which is my reason to judge them as bad games. Good movies maybe, but bad games.

Man, it sucks being in the minority of this unpopular opinion...

Well but that's gonna be true of any medium. If you like something that lacks a core aspect of the medium than you're not gonna get that much support.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Minority or not, you guys have a point (which I mostly agree with) way too many games gets ruined by too many cutscenes and quick-time events.

An example: Ive played ace combat since I was like 7 or something and I still play alot of it. Now when I saw the trailer for the new one in 2010 I got really excited and I waited all the way untill 2011 when it was finally released, I took it home, started it up and what I got was a pathetic excuse for a "game" it literally controlled your every move. It takes "railway shooter" to an entirely new level. The game controlls where your plane flies!!! In the previous ace combats you controlled EVERYTHING. And not only is it full of shitty cutscenes and stupid quicktime events, it also has chopper gunner missions. Yeah, sitting in a door with a machine gun Ill do in cod not in a aerial combat game.

It seems as if everyone is trying to do their own Call of duty, and always failing miserably. Cutscenes are fine in a limited amount. But for the most part I say: Let games be games.

"Life sucks sober!"