Water or Air?

Water Cooling or Air Cooling?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Water Cooling or Air Cooling?

• Air
    • Water
    • LN2

Sign in to follow this  

So, AF computer geeks, what do you prefer? Air cooling, water cooling, or are you crazy enough to try your hand with liquid nitrogen (don't do this with your hands, dummy!)?

I'm currently an air-cooling enthusiast personally. It's cheaper, easier to maintain, and has very good performance for the price (see: Noctua NH-D14). I can see why others would choose liquid cooling, since the performance benefits become clear with custom loops and maybe the Corsair H100, but I just like how little hassle goes into maintaining an air cooled setup. I might get into liquid cooling once I get in a better place financially, but for now air cooling works just fine, even in the hot desert. I can't see myself trying to the liquid nitrogen thing, though.

I like building crazy things so I'm thinking of making one with an air conditioner in the far future.

I'm sticking to air. Water and electronics shouldn't mix.

I agree, but the problem isn't water (and water coolers don't use water these days), it's the electroconductivity of the compound used. As I mentioned, there are some non-conductive compounds on the market. Just like the thermal compounds used on your CPU: there are some non-conductive compounds and some conductive compounds (these are just as dangerous, if not more so, than water cooling imo).

I like building crazy things so I'm thinking of making one with an air conditioner in the far future.

Not crazy enough imo. What you should REALLY do is make a self-sustained liquid nitrogen setup so you can be overclocking with subzero temperatures for a long period of time. Do that, and I'll call you crazy. The AC thing... eh, I've seen people try to use mini-refrigerators in the past, but the humidity kills the components.

What you should REALLY do is make a self-sustained liquid nitrogen setup.

Can do! But it would be hard finding the paste and materials that won't crack from it.

Also, where would I find the air compressor for that? I hope the far future has an answer.