Need RAID 0 across 2 disks

Sign in to follow this  

I've had this laptop for a year and I finally need my other drive that's in it. The problem is that it doesn't have hardware RAID or the option to create a striped volume in computer management.

Is there any way to achieve RAID with this laptop?

Am I doomed to have to buy a 1TB 2.5" drive?

That's the exact website I was on before I asked here.

I'm thinking I might need to upgrade to professional.

So wait, why do you need a RAID setup to access two disk drives in the same machine? You could just use one for one set of items and the other for another set of items. That solves your storage dilemma without the headaches of using a software RAID on the OS level, which I don't suggest anyway. Unless you mean that somehow you can't access the other drive at all. In that case, you probably wouldn't be able to set up a software RAID anyway.

Well... At least you've got everything under control now.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Ok... so I'm pretty sure that I simply can't move my steam folder over to the other drive, so what do I do to get my steam folder over to the other drive?

How are you trying to move the folder to your other drive? I assume you're running as administrator, but if not you will want to enable that. Are you getting errors? If so, it'd help us if we knew what those errors were.

Can you copy content from within the steam folder to the other drive? If you can, you may have more ease with re-installing Steam into a folder on your other drive and then moving all the files from inside the old Steam folder into the new one. Just make sure that you don't accidentally lose your game saves. Those aren't always in the same places, so you'll need to find them yourself or look up their default locations via google.

You should be able to set an additional Steam folder on your second drive in the "Settings"->"Downloads + Cloud"->"Steam Library Folders". Once you have a new folder for it, you should be able to just copy over the game folders (maintaining the directory structure) from your Steam folder. You'll need to restart Steam afterwards though.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.