Total war series

Sign in to follow this  

Like title says, total war series discussion

so, how many of you play total war games?

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

I have several of them on Steam following some typical sales purchase. However I've only really played Rome Total War. Despite my enjoyment of both real-time strategy AND turn-based strategy games, I found it difficult to get into. I might try again some day.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

I have several of them on Steam following some typical sales purchase. However I've only really played Rome Total War. Despite my enjoyment of both real-time strategy AND turn-based strategy games, I found it difficult to get into. I might try again some day.

i suggest that you do- there are tons of great mods in TWC (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum.php)

and if its difficult to get into, perhaps use trainers/hacks at first in campaign (i know many of you frown on that, but it actually helps a lot to use them to get into some game).

btw small hint: in Rome and Medieval 2, you can unlock all factions by going to game folder, navigate yourself to /data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign folder and look for text file named descr_strat. just lift those factions to "playable section" (NB! you wont be able to see one faction if you copy them all, so leave one behind). of course back up file before you do that. In M2TW, however, you might want to use custom campaign mod instead of messing with text file as mongols/timurids/aztecs arent available otherwise and crash the game when you try to play as them. in Empire and Napoleon, you must use modified files though.

Also i noticed it helps a lot to know hotkeys, such as selecting only cavalry (ctrl+c), infantry (ctrl+i) or missles (ctrl+m).

If you are unsure about tactics however, let me suggest watching videos of PrinceOfMacedon in YT, a legend in RTW (last time he lost in rome was in 2009 i think and he plays daily, so...)

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

I have RTW (with expansions) and M2TW... I can't even get M2TW to run at a decent framerate, much less play it... RTW is very fun though. (I just use it as a European only version of Risk, I don't micromanage the battles)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.