Demise of TrueCrypt

Sign in to follow this  

If you go to the website for TrueCrypt (a tool that lets you encrypt a hard drive and make encrypted volumes), you now get this page:

WARNING: Using TrueCrypt is not secure as it may contain unfixed security issues

It then tells you how to migrate to BitLocker.

This is veryyyyy sudden that it has a lot of people wondering what happened, whether the website got hacked (by someone who got the developer's signatures, as the read-only 7.2 version is properly signed), there was a spat among the developers, they just got tired of it or the NSA demanded a backdoor or something. Something that makes me lean towards the last option is this:

"Using TrueCrypt is not secure as"

I find that odd wording, as "insecure" is the same as not secure.

But then:

Using TrueCrypt is Not Secure As

Using TrueCrypt is N.S.A.

I'm no conspiracy theorist or anything, but I wonder if this might be some sort of warrant canary. Either ways I'm just really speculating here and I likely have no idea what im even talking about.

Anyways I don't use TrueCrypt anymore as I dont have any need for it, so thankfully that dont affect me too much anymore. But I found this odd and curious.

I forget things a lot and I like chumtoads.

Yeah, I use BitLocker for my external, just to keep someone from having an easy time accessing it if they grab-and-run, but otherwise I have no use for drive encryption outside of my Linux box. (I do encryption on every partition [full custom partitioning] during install of the OS)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Back when I used it I just kept a single encrypted volume with the files inside. But since I only used it for an extra backup of my passwords outside of LastPass, I decided it'd probably be easier to switch to something more dedicated and moved them all to KeePass.

The ones I want secured, I keep in my head, the rest I let Firefox remember for me.

The ones I want secured, I keep in my head,

Ha! Wished that still worked for me. I used to memorize all of my passwords. I switched to LastPass a few months after my accident. I didn't really trust the browser's password manager (though I don't remember my reasoning at the time).

Honestly, there is no password that I use on the internet that I'm too terribly worried about being insecure. The only ones I require to be secure are on my hardware and in my head, everything else is expendable.

Sign in to follow this  

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.