I'm not vegetarian...

Sign in to follow this  

Near as I can tell, it doesn't specify what meat and from where that this study is using... This is way to generalized and non-specific to be of use IMO.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

My problem with cases like these in general is that most people don't realize that the best way to deal with these things is to simply pay attention to what you're buying. And adding to what BTG said the fact that it doesn't really tell you where the meat came from it's just gonna cause needless panic.

But going onto more what the study is touching upon, preservatives in general are really not that great for you. Whether in meat or other food products. Even the simplest of preservatives, salt, isn't that great for you. Sure we need a certain amount of it in our diet but we get that naturally from regular food anyways. We really don't need to be adding it to everything.

Retired Forum Moderator

But going onto more what the study is touching upon, preservatives in general are really not that great for you. Whether in meat or other food products. Even the simplest of preservatives, salt, isn't that great for you. Sure we need a certain amount of it in our diet but we get that naturally from regular food anyways. We really don't need to be adding it to everything.

Sea Salt is a different type of salt... Potassium Chloride instead of Sodium Chloride... Much better for you, and fills a deficiency that most people have today.

AFAIK, "sea salt" contains only about 1% KCl unless more has been added artificially, the rest is the good old NaCl.

Regards

AFAIK, "sea salt" contains only about 1% KCl unless more has been added artificially, the rest is the good old NaCl.

Not if you're buying straight sea salt, like you would for refilling your salt shakers. (unless the companies that are selling the stuff are violating national law and refusing to put NaCl on the label) Anything else is not really sea salt. Also, make sure it has added Thaumatin, or it'll taste weird.

...Sea salt and table salt have the same basic nutritional value, despite the fact that sea salt is often promoted as being healthier. Sea salt and table salt contain comparable amounts of sodium by weight.

Whichever type of salt you enjoy, do so in moderation...

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/sea-salt/faq-20058512

Most sea salts and table salt contain about 40 percent sodium by weight... In an April 2011 survey by the American Heart Association, 61 percent of respondents said they believed sea salt is a low-sodium alternative to table salt...

http://sodiumbreakup.heart.org/sodium-411/sea-salt-vs-table-salt/

I also wouldn't completely rule out table salt as it most often has iodine which is good for us. I'd say regardless of the source, sodium is sodium and too much of it isn't good no matter the source. But the same can be said for a lot of things.

As for the difference I was able to find in the use of KCL over NaCL is that while it is accepted as better, it is recommended against for those with impaired kidney functions, as potassium can build up in the bloodstream. Outside of that I couldn't really find any nutritional differences between the two unless I'm not looking in the right area.

Retired Forum Moderator

That was the "sea salt" that certain companies were trying to make people buy at a higher price to increase their profit margins... Modern 'sea salt' is moving to entirely sodium-free... Iodized KCl with Thaumatin, and an anti-caking agent.

That's interesting. I wonder if they do the same thing here in the UK...

How do they get off the hook with the FDA or whatever organisation is monitoring the food labeling? Because, clearly, the natural sea salt does not have anywhere near that amount of KCl in it.

Regards

The same way drug companies get away with putting out perscription drugs that cause the user to require more drugs to treat the side-effects of the first drug, and even more drugs to counter the second drug's side-effects, and EVEN MORE drugs to counter the side effects of the third drug... (and it keeps on going until the patient realizes that taking a hit from a bong every 2-3 hours fixes everything, and doesn't cost $500-$15,000 per pill)

Local meat is always better than others... Also, freezing and thawing meat will soften it.

Sign in to follow this  

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.