Neotokyo OST - Two and a half hours of Japanese cyberpunk

Sign in to follow this  

Taken from the website: "NEOTOKYO is a first person shooter that provides a visceral & realistic combat experience in a rich futuristic setting. It is greatly influenced by our admiration for Masamune Shirow (GHOST IN THE SHELL) and Katsuhiro Otomo (AKIRA), and has been in production since October 2004." Developed in the Source engine, Neotokyo is a hard-as-nails competitive multiplayer shooter. After a quick google, Ghost in the Shell and Akira both appear to be animes. I'm not a fan of anime, and I don't really see any anime influences in-game; but I think the developers just used the animes as inspiration for the setting of the game.

408tWOubRDM

You can pick up Neotokyo on steam, or on their website: http://neotokyohq.com/

Now, I haven't heard ANY of the soundtrack in the game, besides one song on the menu. This is odd, especially since there is two and a half hours of it.

Since this OST is so long, I recommend that you use it as backround sound as you play a game, then tab out and favorite individual songs that you like during your game. Planetside 2, Interstellar Marines, or practically any other game set in the future should fit the bill.

I'd tell you what my favorite song was, but all the songs progress so differently. I feel I should warn you that, in my opinion, most of the songs suck in the beginning. Later on, the songs progress into something that feels much more complete, and enjoyable. Some songs use the same resources, but I feel that each song is individual enough to get away with that. If I tell you a song I like, you'll skip to it and say "Wow, this isn't very good" or "This doesn't progress very well" or something, but if you stick around to listen to some others, you'll really like some. Probably. No guarantees; after all, this is music.

The composer Ed Harrison put the tracks up on soundcloud (and a bunch of other sites) linked from his homepage: http://ghostiq.com/

He continues to work in a similar vein with a kind of minimalist synth sound so his new stuff is well worth a listen if you crave more (like me).

It's good to see some NeoTokyo love. Especially in an the age that brings us the tedious Ghost in the shell first assault. Friday nights a full server can still be scraped together, If you're really interested look up the active NT player steam group over here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ANPA

I wouldn't call it "Japanese cyberpunk" unless you're referring to the composer, who I don't think is Japanese. Probably just a joke.

Honestly, I found it in the music thread IIRC, for Ross' birthday. Apparently it was a game but it's, what, dead now? It was apparently really good? Yeah, I have the full thing in my music list on Youtube. It somehow just blends in with whatever I'm doing and becomes background sound. It's like getting immersed in a story and being shot back into reality when someone talks to you. Might just be how this type of music is (only way I can explain it is "soft", I'm not a music expert).