Forget a story you want to experience again?

Sign in to follow this  

On a forum like this, I'm pretty sure there will be one or two people who love a good story - whether it be books, around the campfire, computer games, movies or other forms. So maybe someone also recognizes this little conundrum:

Once you've, for example, read a story it's often very difficult to recapture that first time feeling again.

I have a pretty good memory, largely by training, but sometimes I hate it. Once I've gone through a story, even massive ones like Asimov's entire Foundation series, The Witcher or Dragon Age Origins, they're kind of like empty shells to me. As much as I love rereading, the way my mind keeps skipping ahead at crucial points in the story is really damn annoying. For sure, this is an extremely comfortable type of first world problem, but it can be nice to talk a little about those sometimes too. So, anyone else want to join in lamenting the loss of that first read? Or is there someone who has some clever little tip on how to willfully forget, perhaps? Thoughts on stories you'd particularly want to experience for the first time again? I know if I could forget and then immediately reread Ursula le Guin's books about Ged and the Earthsea, I would in a jiffy.

Final Fantasy 7, Kingdom Hearts 2 (with some minor exceptions), and the original Star Wars trilogy (mainly Empire Strikes Back). With Star Wars, and FF7, I first experienced these as a kid, and Empire and 7 both have a big story twist to them, both of which, never really left a big impact on me, so I can never properly recall my true first time reactions to them. So it would be great to experience their stories again for the first time, now that I'm older. As for Kingdom Hearts 2, I would just love to re-experience the story for the first time, while remembering to actually level up the Drive Forms, how to do so, or at least how to figure out how to do so (cause, imo, the instructions in game are kinda confusing), along with how to unlock Final Form [insert 'this isn't even my final form' joke here]. My first time playing the game? I never bothered with the drive forms, cause I considered them to make the game too easy. I was pissed at Square for getting rid of Glide, High Jump, and Dodge Roll. It was only after I had beaten the game, did I learn that these were learned from leveling the Drive Forms, well Dodge Roll was replaced by Quick Run, and there was Aerial Dodge (basically a double jump). I was still pissed at Square for removing Dodge Roll. (Then I found out it was just a reaction command for one particular Heartless, that made things worse, then I found out it was going to be a new Growth Ability for a new Drive Form, for FM version only, which up until recently, was to be Japan only).

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Robert Heinlein's 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress'... Wish I could reread it a dozen times.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.