MACHINIMA DRAMA COMES BACK... AGAIN... to other Youtubers

Sign in to follow this  

Ho-Ho-Ho! A late "present" for machinima creators!

This never ending story of Machinima Inc. being utter, greedy, assholes showed up again. Since I'm Ross's girlfriend (yes, I am!) and I witnessed/experienced directly all the drama and problems that Ross had with this "company" (it took months to contact them and get free from them!), I treat this topic really personally.

I made some posts about that back in the day, and here's a new story.Unfortunately this problem just became bigger! Even PewDiePie had a contract with them! HAD!

Share it, warn your friends! I mean, how long are we going to let assholes like that exploit YouTube creators?! (On the top of google screwing around too ;p)

FFGe7fAWiJA

*Hey! Ross commented under this video! Give him thumbs up for the comment!

LET'S APPRECIATE THE FACT THAT THE GUY WHO STARTED this MACHINIMA SHITSTORM IS NAMED ROSS AND HE'S SCOTTISH! :lol: LMAO!

And that's a great video for dessert!

a0FKmO7qNxc

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

And that's a great video for dessert!

a0FKmO7qNxc

I'm no Youtuber, but this just pissed me off. This kinda reminds me of this rumour I heard of a record label here in the Philippines. Back in the day (i'm told 70's) they never pay their acts the royalties from their recordings, as the rights to their catalog would be sold to said label upon signing the contract.

That aside, Machinima REALLY knows how to fuck over machinima creators. Here's hoping RossBoomSocks the best in dealing with the hellhole that is Machinima.

Welp, now what?

I'm no Youtuber, but this just pissed me off. This kinda reminds me of this rumour I heard of a record label here in the Philippines. Back in the day (i'm told 70's) they never pay their acts the royalties from their recordings, as the rights to their catalog would be sold to said label upon signing the contract.

That aside, Machinima REALLY knows how to fuck over machinima creators. Here's hoping RossBoomSocks the best in dealing with the hellhole that is Machinima.

Oh wow... that record label thing sound awfully familiar... Nothing ever changes?

I think RossBoomsocks will manage, since, he's Scottish like Ross! ;) I'm still blown away mentally how the names and geography work here! :mrgreen:

Ross told me that Scottish people fight back! 8-)8-)8-)8-)

Damn... Its everywhere - read your contracts guys what are you signing... No matter, if its machinima, mortgage other loans etc. etc. You don't have to be a lawyer, just read it carefully and think what it might mean, also use google etc.

So... How are they still getting away with this? I mean, really...? HOW do they still even make a decent amount of money? How are they even respected, at all?

So... How are they still getting away with this? I mean, really...? HOW do they still even make a decent amount of money? How are they even respected, at all?

My guess is that their business model is OK, if you can get a decent contract terms. E.g. not a 5-10 year contract but a 1-2 year contract without any automatic renewal BS. Because if you have a very small channel you aren't really getting anywhere, so exposure the Machinima gives you for 1-2 years could be just the right amount for you to become known. Theoretically after a year you could become somewhat popular and maybe even have 100k subs or something on your own, without any external help (that's the theory).

Think of if as a big marketing campaign where you don't pay up front to the ad agency but you agree to share your future income that will increase from the said marketing campaign. The deal in its essence is not bad - hey you don't have much viewers and we have big viewer base, we will expose your videos to our viewers if you share the income generated from those new views of your videos. Therefore I bet there are many people thinking that no matter how much you don't like the deal, its either this or no youtube channel at all.

My guess is that their business model is OK, if you can get a decent contract terms. E.g. not a 5-10 year contract but a 1-2 year contract without any automatic renewal BS. Because if you have a very small channel you aren't really getting anywhere, so exposure the Machinima gives you for 1-2 years could be just the right amount for you to become known. Theoretically after a year you could become somewhat popular and maybe even have 100k subs or something on your own, without any external help (that's the theory).

Think of if as a big marketing campaign where you don't pay up front to the ad agency but you agree to share your future income that will increase from the said marketing campaign. The deal in its essence is not bad - hey you don't have much viewers and we have big viewer base, we will expose your videos to our viewers if you share the income generated from those new views of your videos. Therefore I bet there are many people thinking that no matter how much you don't like the deal, its either this or no youtube channel at all.

One year is quite a while and if you're getting exposure from Machinima, people know that you're contracted to Machinima. As mean as it is to say this, you'd think people would stay away from such channels. It would teach people a lesson and it would deal a blow to Machinima.

One year is quite a while and if you're getting exposure from Machinima, people know that you're contracted to Machinima. As mean as it is to say this, you'd think people would stay away from such channels. It would teach people a lesson and it would deal a blow to Machinima.

Machinima has 12.7m subscribers, that's quite a lot... Contracting to Machinima isn't bad in itself. Staying away on purpose from potentially good channels just to teach a lesson to Machinima? I'm not sure which is worse - your idea or Machinima's shitty contracts.

Damn... Its everywhere - read your contracts guys what are you signing... No matter, if its machinima, mortgage other loans etc. etc. You don't have to be a lawyer, just read it carefully and think what it might mean, also use google etc.

If you'd read Ross (Scott's) story on his problems with Machinima, you would see that it doesn't matter to them. They didn't want to respect his contract anyways, assumed he had another version, that gave them even more power over him. When he pointed out that he has certain protections in his contract they admitted they "lost" it. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't.

The contracts themselves can be written such way that you may be tricked anyways, since sneaky, sneaky lawyers formulate sneaky wording that might deceive you. It's not that simple and contract itself MAY give you protections, but it only worked for Ross when he threatened Machinima with a lawsuit, similarly as RossBoomsocks is doing now.

"Potentially good channels"? Eh... They're not any good if they're being crushed by a giant iron fist(The actual "partnership" not being any good, that is).

If you'd read Ross (Scott's) story on his problems with Machinima, you would see that it doesn't matter to them. They didn't want to respect his contract anyways, assumed he had another version, that gave them even more power over him. When he pointed out that he has certain protections in his contract they admitted they "lost" it. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't.

The contracts themselves can be written such way that you may be tricked anyways, since sneaky, sneaky lawyers formulate sneaky wording that might deceive you. It's not that simple and contract itself MAY give you protections, but it only worked for Ross when he threatened Machinima with a lawsuit, similarly as RossBoomsocks is doing now.

Ofc, understanding and using contracts also means being able to enforce them. That's part of the process - if a party ignores the contract you go to court.

"Potentially good channels"? Eh... They're not any good if they're being crushed by a giant iron fist.

Have you even ever made a youtube video? Asumming that they arent good because they use machinima is absurd. Guess what thinking like this is what makes for people to succeed even harder. What other totally stupid criteria do you use to say something is good?

Ofc, understanding and using contracts also means being able to enforce them. That's part of the process - if a party ignores the contract you go to court.

Welp, the whole point for me is that... Ross was FORCED to threat Machinima with a lawsuit. Because companies respecting their business partners also respect their contract rules. So it's not a part of "a process". Because it's not normal. Normal process is going along the contract. ...I have to add, that Ross's contract was an "old" version that gave him some more rights that a contract Machinima though he signed.

It cost Ross lots of stress and months of horrible dealing with incompetent Machinima staff. All this time he did not know if he will be able to keep his rights to "Freeman's Mind"!

Cooperating with a business partner is supposed to bring profits to both sides. But Machinima deliberately formulate contracts to make them as profitable for them and giving minimum or non protection to the YouTubers. I witnessed it all and... damnit, these contracts are worth as much as the worse toilet paper...

Machinima should sink under a mass of lawsuits! I hope this company will burn in hell...

"Potentially good channels"? Eh... They're not any good if they're being crushed by a giant iron fist.

Have you even ever made a youtube video? Asumming that they arent good because they use machinima is absurd. Guess what thinking like this is what makes for people to succeed even harder. What other totally stupid criteria do you use to say something is good?

You're clearly letting emotions justify your thoughts and, of course as the internet standard goes, assuming everything to fit your conclusion.

I never said they aren't good because they use machinima nor' do you have to make a youtube video to criticize and judge one. I can eat a cake and decide that it tastes bad, was poorly made, and overall looks appalling. Does the fact that I don't cook mean my opinion is negated? No. It still looks appalling, was poorly made, and tastes bad.

Now, if you listened for even a mere second you would know that I'm not saying machinima isn't worth it nor' does it make you a bad channel if you take on a contract with them. They just aren't worth it in the long-run to deal with and would be more of a headache than a saving grace. I'd rather attempt youtube by myself than effectively sell my soul to a company that is pretty well known for being absolute assholes.

EDIT: I also made a mistake in my post. I meant to say that "it's not any good" not that they are a bad channel but that getting assistance from somebody that is going to screw you over is going to make the venture nearly pointless.

Welp, the whole point for me is that... Ross was FORCED to threat Machinima with a lawsuit. Because companies respecting their business partners also respect their contract rules. So it's not a part of "a process". Because it's not normal. Normal process is going along the contract. ...I have to add, that Ross's contract was an "old" version that gave him some more rights that a contract Machinima though he signed.

It cost Ross lots of stress and months of horrible dealing with incompetent Machinima staff. All this time he did not know if he will be able to keep his rights to "Freeman's Mind"!

Cooperating with a business partner is supposed to bring profits to both sides. But Machinima deliberately formulate contracts to make them as profitable for them and giving minimum or non protection to the YouTubers. I witnessed it all and... damnit, these contracts are worth as much as the worse toilet paper...

Machinima should sink under a mass of lawsuits! I hope this company will burn in hell...

Yes, I hope so too that this "policy" bites them back as well. Its bad practice all around. Sadly its the world we live in and thus you have to be careful and you must know your rights. A lot of problems arise from not understanding the details and not knowing laws and legislation. People like these are just looking for people who trust them and dont fully understand whats going on. I bet there are quite a few people who try to negotiate their contracts and ends up with no contract because machinima changes their mind and arent interested anymore because they smell that they wont get much profit from this person and just a lot of headaches.

In Ross case its just criminal ofc not just unreasonable contract details. In these cases its only legal action. Ofc its not normal but its part of the process - i have worked in governmental institution and seen that its not that rare...

Ross told me that Scottish people fight back!

Us Scots are generally lovely people. But do us wrong and we'll cut ye :twisted:

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

y'know, this reminds me of my plans to get channel successful enough that machinima tries to get a contract with me. Just so i can say "go f yourselves" to them

HLprincess, thanks for that second video, discovered new good channel thanks to you

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

Ross told me that Scottish people fight back!

Us Scots are generally lovely people. But do us wrong and we'll cut ye :twisted:

"Glasgow Kiss"