Birthday thread: MMO Stories

This story goes back years, and I don't mean this happened years ago, I mean this started years ago. Planetside 1, the first Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter, featuring 300 players per continent, 100 players per faction, around 12 continents in total, released in 2003. I didn't play back then, but The Enclave did, believe me, they were some of the biggest assholes in any game, they orchestrated THE first funeral raid in any MMO, they took to the skies in bombers and bombed THEIR OWN FACTIONS FUNERAL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x_WLbjNDcg - Here's a video of the funeral bombing.

Now games come and games go, so Planetside faded from peoples minds, but in 2010 a new game under the Planetside name was announced, Planetside 2, they even hired Malorn who was a top officer from The Enclave to help develop it. So by the games release in 2012 The Enclave was back in force, lead by BuzzCutPyscho, who is one of the most vulgar, disgusting, and racist individual I've played against. Now you might see this as something that would make people ragequit, but no, playing against this guy was like playing against an actual villian, it wasn't a "He's on the other team, i'm gonna shoot him" it was a "I hate that guys guts, i'm gonna shoot him" situation

My outfit, TEST outfit chose the Vanu, a faction that really has no redeeming traits, they don't hit hard like the New Conglomerate, nor do their weapons fire faster like the Terran Republic. We however, happened to be the best organized, we didn't really have any interoutfit drama, at least not to the point where somebody on our side would bomb a funeral. So, we managed to capture a continent, which means capturing EVERY base on the continent, it wasn't to difficult as we did it at 3 in the morning. But this managed to enrage the other factions, we held onto the capture for 43 days.

You might ask; "Wait, how does a faction with no redeeming traits Capture and hold an entire continent for 43 days." I lied to you, we have one redeeming trait, Disco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKsTqdmTXX8 - Video of the disco party.

Vanu fired what amounted to explosive disco balls, it takes 6 shots for these disco balls to kill someone, the disco ball launcher fires incredibly slowly, but when you have all of a faction (which could go up to 1000 players) firing these weapons all firing down at ONE entrance, well you've won the fight. The disco party managed to crash the server, letting us hold onto the continent Capture just a little bit longer. This eventually lead to BuzzCutPyscho quitting the game, disbanding The Enclave, and Malorn being laid off after the Sony division that made Planetside got bought out by some Russian company.

Victory has never been sweeter?

Man, now I wish I played more multiplayer games so I could have hilarious stories to tell. My experience have always been tame and not very noteworthy.

This is a quick story I just came across, I sure did enjoy it:

So

in Elder Scrolls Online, you can steal things. And sometimes, you will get caught stealing. Usually, when this happens, NPCs will just be like “ugh smh” and you’ll get a small bounty, which will eventually wear off.

But sometimes. Sometimes. NPCs will flip out and try to murder you for stealing. They will try to punch you until you die.

When this happens, you have a number of options:

Kill them. This is not ideal, however, because killing them will count as murder, even if it was in self-defense. Additionally, even if there’s no one else around, killing them will still get you the murder bounty; it appears that they can be witnesses to their own murder.

Let them kill you. This is also not ideal, for obvious reasons, as your gear will get damaged and you’ll have to spend gold to repair it.

Try to run. This is risky, however, because if you’re in a town, the guards might catch you. If the guards catch you, they will take all of your stolen loot, which is terrible. It’s better to be killed than let the guards take your stolen loot.

Try to evade them and block their attacks until they get tired of trying to kill you and leave you alone. This generally works out pretty well; just run in circles and block their punches, and make sure to keep an eye on your stamina and health, and you should be fine.

Obviously, option number four is my preferred method of dealing with these situations. It’s far less risky than running, won’t get you a horrifyingly huge bounty like killing them would, and you don’t die.

So, just a little while ago, I got caught stealing something, and this dude flipped out and started punching me. So of course I tried to wait it out until he gave up by running in circles and blocking his attacks.

But

did you know

when you block someone’s attacks in ESO, a small amount of damage is returned to them.

And, of course, I was keeping an eye on my own health bar and stamina bar. I was not paying attention to his health bar.

And he died.

He punched me so much that he died.

He’s dead. He’s lying in a pool of blood because he would not stop punching me and he literally fucking died from punching me so much. He fucking punched himself to death and now he’s fucking dead he literally punched me and then dropped dead.

And guess what

this still counts as murder.

I have been charged with murder because a dude attacked me and then punched me so much that he died.

tiny-agate

some post later on:

#this is worse than the fucking nun incident

what was the nun incident?

Okay so

I was just casually walking through town, and I saw another player running along, and their health bar was really low.

So, naturally, I healed them, nbd.

And then the words YOU ARE NOW NOTORIOUS AND WILL BE KILLED ON SIGHT BY THE LAW flashed across my screen

because it turns out that that player was running from the guards, and also, that casting healing spells on wanted criminals is punishable by death.

So of course I ran for it. The guards pursued, but I had a head start, and most of them were still chasing the player who I’d just healed.

I ran for the outlaw’s refuge. It wasn’t far; it was soon within sight, and the guards still chased me, firing arrows and spells, but escape was within my reach. I could see the entrance, right there. It was so close.

And then.

And then this fucking nun just appears out of nowhere and charges right into my field of view, punches my in the face, and I die.

And that’s the nun incident.

this is an interesting story that happens to my squad over the past few days in dayz i kind of see how funny it is now but was annoyed at the time. i warn you it is long but is it a great story of mutiny and betrayal.

the 1st thing you need to no about the squad i lead is that we aren't the most skilled players but we keep each other alive and rack up skulls as a team survivalists which means we are pretty much campers, but at the end of our pvp rounds we are mostly still alive.

now for these sessions to work it requires team effort which is a strict rule in our squad and we have set up guide lines for survival during these pvp events they are listed just bellow if you don't want to read the rules we set up just scroll down

1st rule

if you are in the house you stay in the house

2nd rule

preferred amount of 2 people per room to avoid ghosting

3rd rule

if you go out side you are on your own we can only offer your cover in areas visible to the house

nobody is going to leave to protect your gear

4th rule

if any one enters the house with out letting the squad know and gets shot it is their own fault

5th rule

every one bring their own food. i am personally not giving out my food because you (player) were to lazy to find their own

6th rule

any one in the field team (outside) needs to wear nurse/doctor scrubs pants from hospital to prevent friendly fire

7th rule

nobody goes in or out of the house.this includes trying to get back up nobody touches the barricade once it is planted

if they do so they are risking the life of any one in the house and them self

8th rule

every one needs a saline bag IV

9th rule (this rule mostly apples indoors and on roofs)

every one need to be crouched at all times in the top floor and even then you can still be shot from sniper hill

PS. from the hall way the police building is covered so there is no need for people in the window room to rick being shot from sniper hill to cover the police station windows (this only apply to green house in churno)

10th rule

unless the house is barricaded do not take the risk of logging out inside unless you have no choice.

11th rule

do not log in inside of the building you are planning on unless it has been cleared by your team

12th rule

do not eat human flesh or any form of meat it can make you sick even if cooked

so as a lot of players know there are a lot of flaws with these rules but 90% of the time the work fine for our squad unless some one breaks them and doesn't deal well with the consequences(eg some body leaves the house and breaks the barricades then gets shot and expecting others to risk their life to collect the remainder supplies off their dead body). so occasionally we do not have enough players to fill up our team minimum (4 players) and we invite allies and friends in. but i do not own the team speak nor am i an admin on it so a lot of people use it and begun using it for a lot of doggy bandit meet ups. this is where red comes into the story

red was a player that seemed normal at 1st and i began to trust him. after a while of playing with him i picked up a few flaws he was always barging about being a pro and killing every one which annoys every one he went afk for hours after claiming he would be 5min and he wasted a lot of peoples time, but they weren't the worst of his problems. he was barley able to find food ever even when i could walk through a town and find a bag full or go to a apple tree and pick for 10min. this isn't that bad a feature if your new to the game but he had 700 hours you would think that after a while he would collect his own food but every time he played he asked us for our food we had saved aside just in case we got hungry while camping in a building during a pvp session.

so most times we met red we supply him with a spare gun with a mag attachments and spare ammo we have spent a few hours collecting in the case an unarmed team member meets up with us normally it is an ak or a rifle with a hunting scope but it can some times be a ump mp5 or a aug. so we don't only just supply him with guns fully geared but we have to give up the rest of the food we have to make it worth even giving him the gun which we probably spent 30min each finding and from there every one but red just survives off what food they find before logging into the pvp server.

we eventually made him collect his own gear which he packed tantrums about (at these moments i swear if he had a gun he would shoot me). we made him gear up before giving him a weapon which made him mad but kept us safe and kept the work even.

after we start pvp sessions with red he normally gets himself killed with in the 1st 5 min of contact by acting like we are playing COD. this wouldn't piss me off if i didn't personally collect the gear he has just given to the enemy to use against us, but considering the gear he had was all of the teams work we got annoyed fast taking into account he just died after eating all of the teams food and half the time he would get another team mate killed because he would beg us almost on the verge of a tantrum for us to protect his gear while he came back.

at this point you will be thinking that i am bitching online because i have the power to cry over the internet but this is the premise of why i hate red. but i assure you i am not bitching i am telling a long story about a blood thirsty betrayal it results in something interesting i promise

red and i were gaming one day and we had a random player join our channel we were not in the usual team speak we were in so red planned to assassinate the player for his hunting scope. he claimed the player was an ass hole so i went along but stated i did not want to pull the trigger.

eventually after red missed 5 shots me and the target player hid in electro police station and i faked my death after red knocked me out and red rushed the player killing him and himself ruining the hunting scope.

so a few times we have trusted red because he was bragging and claimed he got kills all the time and because we were getting sick of waiting around inside a house. we did this about 3 times while red lead the team and it resulted in the same thing over and over again. red would do as he usually dose and scam food and guns off us and lead us to the towers in churno i think we were on top of triple yellow and our friends where around the area watching the ladder up. red didn't do anything besides expect this was a nice safe place and not expect people to log in behind us killing half the team on 2 different occasions in the same night. after our 3 failed attempts of going up there via red request we decided not to go up there again

so the last time i played with red he pulled his basic game taking what ever he wanted and crying if you didn't give him food or ammo. after dealing with the bullshit we set up a team of 5 in the tree line in front of the 1st 3 houses with a tap coming round skyrim mountain from churno side and we found people to shoot at as soon as we log in but they hide in the green house

we end up rushing it but i kill some one with an m4 and get back to the bodies asap to collect it. in the team of 5 included myself as leader my 2 fellow squads men red and and top.

after about 30min of reds bitching i give all my team mates the order to kill him after doing so pretending to be an enemy. top doesn't comply to the message ignoring it and tells red about it and after i logged off the game i begun to receive a barrage of massages and threats from red is sound like some guys going white trash crazy saying all the basics about my mum so i just laugh and block him

what i didn't realize was that while i was offline red played with other people in the ts including top and a few others. he convinced them to team up to assassinate me top was the first try he joined us for a pvp round and watched our building while we played but i had to get off for diner before top was able to get a shot.

a few days later my friend(ill call him tom) invites me to his squad and claims he wants me to lead it considering I'm a good leader. so i am really welcomed by the idea and i accept inviting my current squad to join us. tom is a good friend but there isn't as much to know about him hes pretty standard guy and i figured he was trust worth so me and tom begin planning our 1st squad pvp and invite another good friend taco so once we have 3 people we look for a 4th and find one toms was playing with the day befor hand. he has no mic which rings bells immediately and we lead him to the tap to fill up before we begin the pvp but almost immediately we get shot all 3 of us instantly dead.

after that my squad tracked red top and their friend down and killed a few of them for me while i was away sleeping

this resulted in sad events after the player I've been calling tom found some m4 he planned to give out to people he came to meet me to give me an m4 if you don't remember tom asked me to lead his squad and he told me we were meeting a new recruit to teach him all the rules before entry to the squad we went through all the basics and prepared to pvp as we logged off but tom and his friend shot me and red joined the team speak laughing. i realized seconds later tom must have planed the previous incident where our whole team was murdered last time i played with him.

it turns out red gave tom 2 svds to lead a squad to kill me.

and currently tom is asking for forgiveness which is gonna cost a lot more than 2 svds

i accept this defeat and that people i thought were my allies and team mates and squad members and assholes who teamed up because of a selfish mutiny lead by a guy with the mentality of a 12 year old gamer who cries when ever he doesn't get what he wants.

all is not lost half my squad followed me

These are from friends of mine in college, they'd probably tell them better than I, but one had some wack stuff happen to him in EVE like all the time.

My favorite one is the ship he has that every time it gets shot, it generates a "congratulations, you killed a ship!" mail for the player that shot him. Best we can figure is that the hull integrity value is stored as a float, and at some fractional value remaining (less than 1, more than 0) he managed to escape from a fight. So the ship was marked as "dead" without it actually exploding. Suffice to say, he doesn't use that ship much.

He also had a ship (complete with fittings and cargo) get mysteriously resurrected on the other side of the galaxy in a hanger he'd never been too. I never did get the full story.

In terms of what obsessive-compulsive people, we once watched a guild fly through a system, blow up every single ship in the system, ignore the pods, and start transfering cargo ship after cargo ship worth of "stuff" through. There was something like 30 people in pods just watching the action. We never figured out what they were doing, other than moving a lot of materials around and didn't want to risk any piracy, but they were thorough.

Another friend (who, incidentally, had a penchant for insulting the Russian corp in local chat any time he had the chance) once flew into an otherwise empty system where he knew that one corp had a titan parked (the largest ship you can build with a weapon that when fired, kills every ship in the system smaller than itself (costs a fuckton of money to reload)) and asked the guy piloting it if he'd doomsday him so that his ship and pod got destroyed, just so he didn't have to spend the time flying half way across the galaxy to where he wanted to go (but he had a clone there he could activate). The guy did it.

Oh, and one time in EVE someone started collecting corpses and making a graveyard. He'd just line them up in space in neat little rows.

Eventually someone had the idea of just loading their cargo bays full of corpses, flying into a densely populated system, and dumping all their cargo. The sudden strain on the server (like, the actual hardware) would crash it. Sooo...EVE had to put an end to "corpses as items."

Don't know if that's the kind of stuff you're interested in, but as someone who never plays MMOs either, I found them interesting.

I used to play this MMO called Graal Online which was basically a MMO version of early zelda games. I was a captain of one of the bigger guilds in the game, and one day a few other leaders of the guild and I found a way to glitch into an unfinished area in the game, virtually a whole new city. Naturally we used it as a base for a while and bragged about it to all the other rival guilds. That is until some admins found out. The moderators for the game put on some weird trial for us and everyone in the guild decided to blame me so I got banned, and all the other leaders of the guild eventually ended up becoming admins. Life isn't fair sometimes. Still makes me chuckle thinking about it.

I have a story to tell but before i begin i should note that i did not participate in it, i was only a bystander to speak of and some of my facts may be wrong

I play on a minecraft server called civcraft, which has everything Ross described in his video when asking for MMO stories. Political Drama, people taking this game waaay to seriously and even game breaking. In the year and a half i have played on this server you would not believe some of the stuff i have witnessed, the one im telling you here today is the most recent big war on the server, the Titan War

So some backstory, Civcraft is a minecraft server with the goal to simulate real life politics and nation building. There are some server side mods that help this. The three biggest ones are Prison Pearl; when a player is killed by another playr with a an ender pearl in their hotbar the killed player is trapped in another dimension and get get out until someone uses the pearl they are trapped in, next is Juke Alert: A jukebox block that will record everything that happens around it, every block break, block placement, log out and even when a player uses a chest or goes nearby, finally is citadel that lets you reinforce blocks so they are harder to destroy, you can reinforce a block with stone (block has to be broken 25 times to be permanently broken), iron (256 times) and diamond (1000 times). With all these mods nations are able to find crimanals and punish them, so they are able to enforce land claims and their laws.

So the titan war, Before the actual war a group of players started to do some raiding on towns and settlements, their leader was a player named papa_pound and he and his boys were really good at pvp. They would attack settlements and pearl people (slang for capturing someone in a pearl) for no reason other then that they were powerful and the people they raided were not. It got pretty serious, people started to build walls around their towns, stop trusting strangers and even quitting the game. One of Papa_pounds biggest advantages was he would recruit people from pvp servers to join his army. So his raiding party grew each day while people who would fight him grew smaller an smaller.

After a few months of raiding Papa_pound bought some land in a city called Titan. They constructed an obsidian tower and reinforced with IRON! meaning to break one block of obsidian someone would have to break it 256 times, to make things worse that tower had 3 block thick walls, meaning to get in someone would have to break 900 blocks of obsidian. Their tower was also very dependable. After a little while of raiding Papa_pound's crew pearl a player named gordan_freemanQ. A well known and respected community member. This was the straw that broke the camels back. His pearl was being stored in Titan in their tower. So a band of players get together to attack their tower and end Papa's crew once and for all. The united group of people had roughly 20 players initially and they attack the tower. People move into the city and the local government flipped shit, i mean an army of well armed players has just moved into your city you would be worrying to. The players attack Papa's Crew in the tower and very quickly fighting spills out from just the tower to the surrounding buildings, from their the fighting spilled out all over the city.

The people who lived in the city started to pack their things and evacuate. The city of Titan had become a warzone, players were breaking into buildings to take up sniper positions with bows, tearing though walls to flank enemy combatants or to escape. Players were setting up traps such as TNT land mines and pitfalls. The city in one day became a chaotic hell hole. Lots of innocent players were pearled by both sides, no body knew who was friend or foe, would you hesitate when you saw a player you didn't recognize and wait for them to make the first blow, or would you strike first? Now unlike other conflicts on the server this one was special. Due to the sheer number of people on the server people from all over the world played on it on both sides of the war. So what ended up happening is fighting would ensue nonstop, FOR A MONTH REAL TIME! Players would get home from school or work log on fight, go to bed for another player to log on and keep fighting. It was insane, the players who wert fighting in the war (like me) payed attention on the server's forum, this was a server shaking event.

Anyway, the fighting went on for a month and near the end of it the town was a shell of its former self, not a single building was left standing. In the last week a few people sat the commandeers down from both sides and negotiated for a netruel zone to be created. Innocent players who trapped in the city still were given the chance to head to the netruel zone, get some supplies and start their lives in another city, or to try rebuild in the netrel zone.

Now like every conflict it eventually came to an end. Papa's crew was loosing ground, they were loosing members as more and more people joined the conflict. They were also running low on supplies so they couldnt arm members they recuited from other servers. I dont know what caused it but a player on Papa_pounds side name Hanztu betrayed him. Freed a bunch of people Papa had captured and broke the walls on their tower (if you were on the citadel group of a reinforced block you can remove it). Papa's crew lost a lot of troops and supplies and snuck out of the city, and with that the Titan war came to a close. Over the next little while the people of titan came back to their city to try and rebuild, their town was practically wiped out but home was home for them. The victors of the conflict cheered at the crushing defeat of Papa's raiding crew and began to try and find him, And Papa began to rebuild his forces.

If anyone is interested i will post what happened after all this, thx for reading and hope you enjoyed

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I have a story to tell but before i begin i should note that i did not participate in it, i was only a bystander to speak of and some of my facts may be wrong

I play on a minecraft called civcraft, which has everything Ross described in his video when asking for MMO stories. Political Drama, people taking this game waaay to seriously and even game breaking. In the year and a half i have played on this server you would not believe some of the stuff i have witnessed, the one im telling you here today is the most recent big war on the server, the Titan War

So some backstory, Civcraft is a minecraft server with the goal to simulate real life politics and nation building. There are some server side mods that help this. The three biggest ones are Prison Pearl; when a player is killed by another playr with a an ender pearl in their hotbar the killed player is trapped in another dimension and get get out until someone uses the pearl they are trapped in, next is Juke Alert: A jukebox block that will record everything that happens around it, every block break, block placement, log out and even when a player uses a chest or goes nearby, finally is citadel that lets you reinforce blocks so they are harder to destroy, you can reinforce a block with stone (block has to be broken 25 times to be permanently broken), iron (256 times) and diamond (1000 times). With all these mods nations are able to find crimanals and punish them, so they are able to enforce land claims and their laws.

So the titan war, Before the actual war a group of players started to do some raiding on towns and settlements, their leader was a player named papa_pound and he and his boys were really good at pvp. They would attack settlements and pearl people (slang for capturing someone in a pearl) for no reason other then that they were powerful and the people they raided were not. It got pretty serious, people started to build walls around their towns, stop trusting strangers and even quitting the game. One of Papa_pounds biggest advantages was he would recruit people from pvp servers to join his army. So his raiding party grew each day while people who would fight him grew smaller an smaller.

After a few months of raiding Papa_pound bought some land in a city called Titan. They constructed an obsidian tower and reinforced with IRON! meaning to break one block of obsidian someone would have to break it 256 times, to make things worse that tower had 3 block thick walls, meaning to get in someone would have to break 900 blocks of obsidian. Their tower was also very dependable. After a little while of raiding Papa_pound's crew pearl a player named gordan_freemanQ. A well known and respected community member. This was the straw that broke the camels back. His pearl was being stored in Titan in their tower. So a band of players get together to attack their tower and end Papa's crew once and for all. The united group of people had roughly 20 players initially and they attack the tower. People move into the city and the local government flipped shit, i mean an army of well armed players has just moved into your city you would be worrying to. The players attack Papa's Crew in the tower and very quickly fighting spills out from just the tower to the surrounding buildings, from their the fighting spilled out all over the city.

The people who lived in the city started to pack their things and evacuate. The city of Titan had become a warzone, players were breaking into buildings to take up sniper positions with bows, tearing though walls to flank enemy combatants or to escape. Players were setting up traps such as TNT land mines and pitfalls. The city in one day became a chaotic hell hole. Lots of innocent players were pearled by both sides, no body knew who was friend or foe, would you hesitate when you saw a player you didn't recognize and wait for them to make the first blow, or would you strike first? Now unlike other conflicts on the server this one was special. Due to the sheer number of people on the server people from all over the world played on it on both sides of the war. So what ended up happening is fighting would ensue nonstop, FOR A MONTH REAL TIME! Players would get home from school or work log on fight, go to bed for another player to log on and keep fighting. It was insane, the players who wert fighting in the war (like me) payed attention on the server's forum, this was a server shaking event.

Anyway, the fighting went on for a month and near the end of it the town was a shell of its former self, not a single building was left standing. In the last week a few people sat the commandeers down from both sides and negotiated for a netruel zone to be created. Innocent players who trapped in the city still were given the chance to head to the netruel zone, get some supplies and start their lives in another city, or to try rebuild in the netrel zone.

Now like every conflict it eventually came to an end. Papa's crew was loosing ground, they were loosing members as more and more people joined the conflict. They were also running low on supplies so they couldnt arm members they recuited from other servers. I dont know what caused it but a player on Papa_pounds side name Hanztu betrayed him. Freed a bunch of people Papa had captured and broke the walls on their tower (if you were on the citadel group of a reinforced block you can remove it). Papa's crew lost a lot of troops and supplies and snuck out of the city, and with that the Titan war came to a close. Over the next little while the people of titan came back to their city to try and rebuild, their town was practically wiped out but home was home for them. The victors of the conflict cheered at the crushing defeat of Papa's raiding crew and began to try and find him, And Papa began to rebuild his forces.

If anyone is interested i will post what happened after all this, thx for reading and hope you enjoyed

I'm interested, if only because Minecraft Faction servers are breeding grounds for petty war strategies.

Hello Ross,

This is a story technically not from an official mmo, its from a gmod server called postnuke roleplay. This was a few years back when a TON of people played on the official server hosted by TBU(The Builders Union), now the servers pretty much dead as most moved over to the more developed fallout based server run by The Frostburnt foundation( now called Fallout: Decay)

So I was with a friend in a group called Ghouls of the Wasteland as we rp'd as ghouls from the fallout games, it was just me and him in the group but we had a lot of allies among more powerful groups. A few were The Miner Federation(led by the renowned businessman Mr. Clay), The Monroe Republic, and Nova Ukrainia(ruled by the respected Red Cloud).

Our allies seemed to be in constant conflict with a man named Darksoul. Leader of a very large and powerful raiding group known as Civil Protection(yes, i'm not joking, that was their group name). CP was known for going into large towns and seeking out any possible raiding targets, meaning it was very unsafe to set up anything from plants to grow oranges(the only possible crop in the wasteland), antlion grubs(which produced chemicals for crafting use) and miners(which were basically thumpers from hl2 which spit out scrap metal). CP was mainly funded by its raids and an organization known as The Lovinsk Family, Led by its mob boss(and admin of the server) David Lovinsk(which suspiciously took CP's side in disputes over RDM(Random Death Match's) which are illegal on the server. Yet for the most part CP fought various wars with us with little admin involvement. So On a map called pn_Wastewaters_2_beta, Cp had set up huge walls and around 30-40 miners inside an old airport on the map. So my friend and I with The Miner Federation got together in an abandoned hotel. We all were given guns and plenty of ammunition to storm the Airport. Mr. Clay even hired a group of mercenaries to aid in the conflict, We were discussing the battle plan when all of the sudden a group of guys burst in and killed a few of our leaders. Turns out that the Mercenaries that we hired were payed even more money than we payed them to betray us. Our group had to spend some time to re coordinate and attacked with crippled numbers anyway, with my friend sniping we had a guy hack the keypad to the gate as we hugged against the wall, We were prepared for the worst as if they payed the mercs to betray us then they probably knew we were coming. So once we opened the gate Darksoul HIMSELF was waiting there. He and Mr.Clay negotiated for only a few minutes until fighting ensued. My friend and I both dies in the fighting and the battle just was a total loss for many on both sides. It would come to be known as The Battle of The Great Wastewater.

Throughout middle school and high school, my friend was completely obsessed with Maple Story. He would stay up until 4 or 5 AM and then sleep for an hour before school. Then he would use up time trying to find the best DPS or gear to have but would somehow still be passing class. When he finally kicked the habit he calculated how many hours he used of his life and it came out to over 2 years I believe (17,531+ hours within an 8 year time, just to put it into a worse perspective).

Belated Happy-Birthday Dungeon overlord.

I remember the time when a unorganized hacking almost emptied the game servers of a game i was playing.

It was 2008-2009 i was playing a Korean MMO called RF(Rising Force) Online. It was probably one of the most amazing mmo's ive ever played. 3 factions with special faction abilities, scheduled battles (3 times a day) and a mining based economy.

Now the scheduled battles are fought over the mining area. Each faction charge in to capture control points, whomever wins gets mining rights for 8 hours and mining rights meant cheaper everything. Those battles gave me the most thrilling MMO's pvp i ever experienced.

The problem started when the game went f2p, now it was probably the best and the worst thing that happened to the game, it got fanfare and became really popular, but. BUT! the hackers/dupers/cheaters came flooding in. At first it was just a minor annoyance people running around with a duped +7 weapon, some guy in an area stuck in a wall firing a rocket launcher with the damage cranked to a bazillion via cheat engine.

Then they came to the chip wars. For some reason the majority of the cheaters seemed to come from one faction only. They set up in choke points and murder everyone with a red life bar. Needless to say they win the battles everytime, and the two other factions struggled with their economy. Especially my faction, cause our racial quirk was big awesome mechs. They were not cheap to buy or repair, but they were out trump card every battle. But they went down with one shot due to the cheaters. And most of the mech pilots called it quits and stopped playing and almost everyone followed suit. It was the same for the other factions, even the one that had the most cheaters. It went so bad there were times that less than 30 people were playing at any given time and were probably doing an in game BDSM session with the hackers. The company had to shutdown the servers for 2 weeks just to implement an anti cheating 3rd party software. But the damaged had already been done and the number of players never came back to what it was and a couple of years later the servers were finally closed. Everyone i know who played the game explains their experience like they were vietnam veterans, me included.

I play on a minecraft server called civcraft, which has everything Ross described in his video when asking for MMO stories. Political Drama, people taking this game waaay to seriously and even game breaking. In the year and a half i have played on this server you would not believe some of the stuff i have witnessed, the one im telling you here today is the most recent big war on the server, the Titan War

I used to play on Civcraft, wild shit like this went down all the time. For example, when i played, i was the Glorious Grand General of 42 with some of my buddies. It was a small-ass town, i wasn't glorious anything, but it was a communist government, so it was mostly for the sake of appearances. At the time, we were technically a part of Xia. Thing was, though, they didn't actually help us. With anything. When we moved into 42, it was a damn ghost town and we were spending hours of our time building that town up by ourselves. The only thing that was there was two half-completed skyscrapers, an auto-gathering wheat farm, and a carrot/potato farm. We built up a government palace out of hardened clay and quartz, and an entire marketplace.

But here's the thing; we were getting all of our needed materials, and doing all our trading with Breslau, who were closer to us and were willing to cut us deals. Xia had no idea, namely because they never bothered to actually talk with us or deliver supplies. So the group of us were thinking of defecting to Breslau, because Breslau was awesome. I mean, i didn't see many other cities in the game, but Breslau was gorgeous, very well set up. I'm not sure what happened for a while, but it was obvious we were preparing for a fight. I actually set up minefields to the north, were Xia was located, we were building all kinds of armor and weapons, and building fortifications.

Then one day, i'm not sure why, but me and my friends just kind of...petered out. We never finished our deal with Breslau as far as i'm aware, but honestly i feel like the second we sent a runner to Xia to let them know we defected, that they literally would not give a single shit. They weren't getting anything from us in the first place, why would they care if we left? It all seems so anti-climatic, but that's probably what would have happened. And somebody would have probably blown themselves up trying to dig up the minefield i set. Even IF Xia invaded us, we'd probably get our asses handed to us. The best we had was iron gear, and any respected nation-state had enchanted diamond armor and weapons. I like to think i did a good job setting up defenses on the environment, and did the best i reasonably could, but unless we got a detachment from Breslau, we would have gotten steamrolled.

I'm not sure what's up with 42 these days. The civcraft map lists it as an active city, but i dont see ANY additional build up from when we lived there, like, 2 years ago.

Anyways, that's my shitty story, i might have more from other experiences.

Something that I always wonder is : WHY? I mean, do hackers and what-have-you care at any point at all that they ruin games and the like? I mean, you hear all of these stories and it's always assumed that hackers completely destroy the fun of the game, causing many many people to quit and to never return. I'm especially curious when it happens to games where they spend money to do it.

I'm sure this has been posted five gajillion times already, but I have to mention the The Bloodbath of B-R5RB aka $30,000 USD goes up in smoke in a fictional battle.

Why? Someone forgot to pay the rent. Links:

EVE Community Website

It's a bit late but I've got a pretty good story about exploiting an MMO's mechanics. I made a character that could beat almost any other player in pvp and could stay in stealth even if a high level player was searching for me. He only took a few hours to get from level 1 to unstoppable, but it's kind of a long story. Way back in the day there was a free to play MMO called RPG World Online that I was really in to. After playing for a while as a warrior type I started considering making a wizard secondary character to mess around with. The default wizard had black magic and spell cost reduction specialized, meaning you got double experience to those skills. I wanted to specialize black magic and stealth so I'd be invisible to everyone while I fried them with magic, but this would use up ALL the skill points you get at character creation. Without spell cost reduction you can't even kill the weakest monsters in the game at level 1. This is where the Frost Drakes come in.

You got experience in this game from doing damage, not killing enemies. In addition to that, resisting magic attacks cost mana, no matter how weak they were or how strong the monster was. There was a randomly spawning monster called a frost drake that had a freezing spell that cost 50 mana to use. They also had exactly 50 mana to cast it, meaning there was a short window where they were completely vulnerable to any kind of magic, even though they're these crazy strong monsters with really high levels. If you hit them with a spell that stops mana regeneration, then hit them with blind so they couldn't hit you and freeze so they couldn't move, you ended up with an EXP pinata that you could beat on for a ton of experience, heal when they were close to dying, and repeat the process to level grind crazy quickly. I tried to kill the weakest giant roach in the starter newb quest and couldn't, my character was so weak he couldn't even carry the lightest piece of armor and so slow it took ages to get out to where the frost drakes were. Once I got out there and a friend blinded a frost drake for me long enough for me to learn white magic and mana cost reduction i was in business. I got every magic ability in the game in a matter of hours, level 1 to the mid twenties in a morning. This is where phase two of the plan came in... golems.

You could use a type of magic in the game to create golems out of metals to protect your base or help you fight. Part of helping you fight was that they constantly checked for stealthed enemies. If your stealth is high enough they won't spot you and your skill level will go up. If you filled a giant room full of nothing but high level golems and went into stealth in it, especially with double exp, you could become permanently invisible to everyone in a matter of no time. It didn't matter if my spells hit the first time or not, I could stay hidden and wait for a lucky hit if my black magic skill wasn't high enough. There weren't many magic using enemies in the game so most players had low magic resistance. Using stat boosting items i picked up with my other character I could already get my magic attack up way past any player's ability to defend against even with my level in the mid 20s. Black magic also had such a high range that if you adjusted the view of the screen you could hit other players from so far away they they wouldn't be able to spot you even if they were checking for stealthed players.

The game used to have daily pvp tournaments hosted by admins. I entered and basically 1-shot everyone without ever getting taken out of stealth. The admin running the game was so surprised he ran another tournament out of schedule right afterwards to see if I could do it again. Even against players with levels in the 40s and 50s I still won. This character came out nowhere, didn't even exist the day before, but was winning tournaments he shouldn't have been able to and had unusually high stats in stealth and magic. Keep in mind training your character this way was considered an exploit that could get you banned if you got caught. Since this was such a small game and we all basically knew each other I told him who I was and that this was just an experiment to mess with the game mechanics. As long as I gave back the tournament's reward and promised never to enter one again with that character they were cool with it and let me keep him. I could only use him in the free for all PVP arena after that and couldn't make bets against other players for money or items. I kind of wish other games had things like frost drake training or infinite stealth by design, but even newer MMOs seem to be all about the grind.

I got 2 from a game called Mortal Online.

When I got the game, I spent my time in the tutorial area learning how to play the game, doing basic combat, etc. When you start the game, new players are unable to be attacked by other players unless they get flagged as criminals(for instance by attacking another player) for 24 hours. Between the time I was playing and logging out, I used up those 24 hours. So when I finally went out on the open road I asked the nearest person I could for directions to town. The nearest person happened to be a mid level player wearing black armor and riding on horseback. He was just trotting along slowly on his horse so I approached him and asked him for directions.

He said nothing, unsheathed his sword, and decapitated me, before trotting along on his merry way. Didn't even stop to loot my corpse.

I played the game for a little while, got bored and quit.

I came back a second time after a few years had gone by to see if the game had gotten better. It certainly had and even boasted a new city called Tindrem. I started my character there and immediately got cheesed. Starting in Tindrem put you in a garden full of deer which could prove to be very profitable with enough work. When fighting the deer, this guy called 'Anime' would jump in front of players and get hit by the swing of their sword. This would flag them as criminals and Anime would then call the AI guards patrolling the Gardens to murder the flagged player. He would then loot the corpse and take all their work. Anime was fairly high leveled character when he wasnt doing this so straight up murdering him 1 on 1 was suicide. So I got a bunch of the new guys together (about 4 of them) and trained them to fight. After a while, we ambushed him in a Graveyard and butchered him. We made off like Bandits with his decent gear and money.

He was pissed. He demanded that his stuff be returned or he would bring down the wrath of his clan on us. We just killed him again.

Finally, he came with a 'Red Flagged' buddy(to get red flagged you have to have killed 5 people in a fairly short time span) a guy strong enough to shrug off the ai guards in the city to get to the graveyard near the center. This dude was invincible our weapons dinged off his armor, he moved like lightning, each poke of his spear took half of our health (he killed our mage in one hit) and when we got him down maybe a 10th of his health(he had killed 3 of ours by this time) he just laughed and chugged a high level healing potion. We all died, but I still had his gear in the bank so it didnt really do him much good in the end.

That red guy really turned me off the game. Overall I like the game, they've done some really cool things with combat and ai. The Higher Level combat just turns me off though. People move too fast.

One of my favourite war story in eve online commes from Rooks and Kings's Clarion Call 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrYe_4vHzgE

I'm personally a nobody that has only been playing for 2 years, but even I have been backstabbed and had a bumpy ride in this game, witch shows the power of eve in creating those situations. My particular story isn't particularly interesting, so I won't bore you with it, but I do make an illustrated timeline of my progress every year for myself because I'm a visual person and it helps me to put events and memories I have in perspective. So I though I would share it. http://i.imgur.com/vbtxkT2.jpg

I also like to join big fleets and take screenshots.

http://imgur.com/a/VwTPo#0

http://imgur.com/a/B8dqE

http://imgur.com/a/TuRWS

http://imgur.com/a/m01Hv

http://imgur.com/a/RaFol

Not a big war, but my alliance recently lost a titan, and the story behind this is quite interesting.

Other wars, some of wich were already posted here:

-The fountain war:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZQ4ejFq7BY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyGdcApsHog

-The battle of BR5-RB was part of the bigger Halloween war. I don't have a quick video or article, but I'm sure others do or you can look for yourself. This was the last great war between superpowers and the battle was the biggest ever.

-There's a war happening right now on the chineese server. Didn't pay attention myself.

There is also a community-driven book about the story of the great wars in eve being written right now. I think this will cover most of the big stories you are looking for, eve side.

One more thing that my Guild in WoW used to do was go into arenas and piss on the competitive PvPers... We were a purely casual Guild, and everyone on the server knew it. (Azuremyst by the way) It would usually be me, and my next 2-3 highest in command. Once in the arena, and the match started, we would move as a small group to whatever the hardest to capture point was, and take it from the Horde. (or in the case of a conquest mode, we'd skip all the intervening points and take the final boss) This started to piss of the hardcore competitive PvP Horde players since we were able to win most matches in about 10 minutes with 3-4 players, and the kicker was we were 100% casual players doing what they just couldn't hope to do. The other Alliance members started speculating in chat that we might have legendary and high end PvP sets, but we started linking back our mishmash of green/blue/low-end purple equipment. They couldn't believe we were doing what we were doing with noob-quality casual equipment and a casual style. They also took a very direct interest in me, because I had equipment that apparently didn't work together, and was stacking all the wrong stats. Many of them refused to believe I wasn't hacking, and reported me. (naturally I wasn't) There were however a small few that took the time to listen to my reasoning for my stat stacking. As a Dwarf Hunter with a gun and a feline pet, I was stacking stats specifically designed to give agro to my pet, make my pet heal like crazy, and for me to do massive ranged and ranged AoE damage, (was getting IIRC ~3.5k DPS at level 60, upped that to over 8k by level 75) as well as break my own agro whenever my massive DPS outshone my pet's impressive agro abilities. (I routinely grabbed agro away from the tanks because of my DPS, and it pissed them off to no end if they were lazy/stupid tanks that weren't prepared to use abilities to hold the agro) Dozens of copycat builds showed up over the next few weeks, and Blizzard promptly nerfed the Hunter class twice in rapid succession. (this is enough of a coincidence that I think I may have been the cause of the biggest [debatable] Hunter nerf of the pre-Cataclysm Azeroth [c.2007-08])

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I have many stories from many games like World of Warcraft, Runescape, etc...

But I have one from Minecraft that I really seem to enjoy:

My friend had a video from one of the events in this story but... Here it goes...

It was once a bright and shiny day in a random server in Minecraft...

I was busy building stuff and trying to become the greatest in the server because that actually made me play for some reason.

(This story took place like years ago, Probably like 2010 or 2011 or 2012 or something)

Anyways,

I just come back from mining with many stacks of important items such as precious diamonds and blaze rods and other things.

But then...

An admin came...

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN GET READY FOR A FIGHT BETWEEN THE LEVEL 5 DIAMOND ARMOR ADMIN VS. GUERRA"

My reaction:

gif-wtf-4.gif

So he gets out his Flaming, Sharpness 1,000,000, Unbreaking, Bane of Arthopods, and super mega OP power upgrade sword out.

And I'm just sitting there seeing him fly down with his Enchanted Diamond armor.

Me: NOPE NOPE NOPE.... I MUST RUN TO MY PEOPLE

Little did I know the admins were abusive...

So they teleport as I try to run away to base.

(Notice that I still have my items on me with no armor or OP Sword stuff)

Basically I led the admin into a lava pit while the other admins watched.

I thought I was in the clear until...

He pulls out the super destruction potions of death.

He kills me and turns on God mode to save himself from the lava.

He then proceeds to pick up my items.

"AND THE WINNER IS JOHHHN CE... errrr... THE ADMIN GUY"

I come back to my base and ask for my items.

He's all like:

"Here you go, Here are 4 diamonds and pickaxe"

Me:

"Wait wait wait... I had ALOT more than this."

Admins:

Well....(Admins awayyyyyyyyyy)

Fuck.

I rage quit then come back an hour later.

I continue to build and mine.

They continue to be dicks like banning me for breaking 2 Bookcases in an abandoned house, supposively thats griefing.

So i'm just furious and I have a plan. I assembled like 4 people and myself... together we were

TEAM GUERRALIFE

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

Much amaze.

So pro.

Such Awesome.

I told them what went down so I pretty much got them to mine diamonds and super enchanted armor of doom.

So we were all basically stacked in HEV suits and crowbars.... I mean Diamond armor and Swords.

We went to spawn to attack an admin in a city he lived on the server.

It was a chick by the way.

(My friends kinda betrayed me after this mission... we'll get to that)

So I led them into the city so we can make the surprise attack happen.

We try to sneak into her house...

SHE WAS OUTSIDE THE WHOLE TIME

The Surprise attack squad was Surprised attacked.

Little did we know she had a golden apple.

We start to attack her then once we almost kill her she teleports into her house which meant we had to go all the way inside her house again.

She healed up and took us all out.

My reaction:

200_s.gif

I was so mad...

We tried it again with even more people and more super OP armor...

And we succeeded...

After that my friends who helped me on that thought that they could

get some internet pussy so they went to start a base with her and stopped talking to me.

Then we were enemies...

1 month later the server gets completely annihilated by griefers and hackers who DDOS the server...

Coincidence?

Moral of the Story:

Never give up and don't get to serious over a game.

Feel free to tell me how dumb this story sounds or like 4channers like to say: Autistic.

:roll::D:D:D

I play Astro Empires pretty addictively and on numerous servers, but my big story is from Pegasus Server. You see, there are numerous people who create multi-accounts in order to spam the server with a numerical advantage for their respective guilds. As is the case, I was with Guild Name: [EPA] for Pegasus Server, and we were up against [CHINA], whose name was aptly derived because it was a Balor Guild. Balor is actually a long time Astro Empires player notorious for using multi's. In fact, one of his cronnies, a guy named Silver Knight actually rose to the top ranks of the [EPA] guild and during the battle for P25 called for a full scale blob invasion while the other GMs were asleep for the night. The result was that [EPA] launched most of its fleets and was derbed on landing causing the conflict for the Pegasus lowers to go almost entirely in [CHINA]s favor. Afterwards, [EPA] was forced to locate entirely up to P30 and later P40 as [CHINA] advanced up the server almost unimpeded.

The server is now contested, but for a long time Balor pretty much held complete control of everything up to P30. Oh, and the best part was that Silver Knight defected afterwards and joined [China], pure classic betrayal... which nearly killed the entire server.