Everything I Post/Say Turns Into an Essay. What Should I do?

Sign in to follow this  

As of late I've been noticing a particular habit in my posts/what I say in a conversation with my friends. I've noticed that some of my posts/conversations I unconsciously turn into essays. if I have extensive knowledge on a given topic I feel compelled to explain it in full and gratuitous detail. I always wonder if this gives people the impression that I'm a smarmy asshole and/or someone who obsesses over video games too much. I'm pretty sure I've scared some of my friends due to this. I won't go into full detail but basically at some point during several different conversations I've had with my friends they would give this sort of look of "Why can't you just enjoy the game for what it is?" or "Are you okay? It's just a video game". I know they mean well and they're nice people deep inside. But I feel like I've become disconnected from them as a whole and can no longer communicate effectively with them. Just one day(don't know exactly when) all of a sudden my vocabulary became much more complex. I honestly can't remember what it was like before. All I know is it wasn't as immense as it is now and oh look I've typed up yet another essay. Anyway if I can't relate my issues to you then I thank you for your time nonetheless. At least I always feel better when I express my problems then when I keep them bundled up.

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

Maybe you should try this... if you ever want to really express your thoughts on something, write it all down. Then pick some key points, sum it up, and then tell your friends about it. Maybe? Or is that a bit too tedious? Probably. :D Perhaps you can try the essay writing in your mind instead, like... talk to yourself, in your mind, then share the main things that stood out? I'm shit at giving advice but I'll at least try. XP

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

You aren't alone Heliocentrical! ;3

I think it's just a case of finding out which of your friends have a higher degree of interest and/or tolerance for your opinions, and just changing your habits and restraining yourself a tiny bit around certain folk. I have a habit of creating rather lengthy and analytical posts on forums, which at best alienate certain more casual users or else invite needlessly hostile reactions. I've learned to find people who are worth talking to and in return try my utmost to give other people intelligent, reasonable and above-all-else polite answers to things, even if I'm not personally that interested or knowledgeable about the subject at hand.

If it helps I'm someone who sits down and reads anything a person like you will take the time to post, because I'm an avid reader both on and off the internet. I read a lot hyper-dense essayist literature on themes such as contemporary art theory/documentation, literary criticism, feminist and post-gender work, obscure political movements and philosophical writers like Kirkegaard, Zizek and de Montaigne - so it's safe to say I have a very high degree of tolerance for more in-depth posts. I love more substantial conversations regarding things people feel strongly about. Jeb_CC made a good point by suggesting you find an outlet for your thoughts, like a blog or a thread, that way you aren't compelling anyone to listen to even respond. That way anyone who responds is taking on a small mote of the responsibility for the conversation, and it quickly become apparent if they are simply wading in out of sheer ignorance rather than contributing any real insight on the topic.

Despite my advice regarding learning how to restrain or consider your posts, you should never feel like you have to compromise or "dumb yourself down" for people who want to make no effort. Don't be afraid of providing context if you feel a certain aspect of your post is niche or obscure enough, learning things is always fun for those of us who are so inclined. It's also worth remembering that getting short answers from people isn't necessarily a bad thing. Who hasn't gone on the internet just to procrastinate? And consequently haven't been in the mood to write anything of quality and quantity?

I hope this helps, and if you decide to post anything in future I'll more than likely reply in a meaningful way.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Thanks for the support everyone, I have considered using some sort of outlet for my work. I'm just not sure what. I've been very careful when it comes to which outlet I use to publish my work as each outlet has it's own limitations. I want my work to be available to as many people as possible. I use the word "available" as I know my work won't suit everyone that ever runs across it and I refuse to modify my work to appeal to more people as that would in my eyes taint the work as a whole. But at the same time I feel that if I don't give my work enough exposure due to the outlet I release it through then I'm implicitly holding back my work because of it. Like say for instance would Game Dungeon be as popular as it is now if instead of videos they were posts on a blog that Ross made? I've always wondered about that question. Are videos are more accessible than written work? Maybe it has to do with what fits the work the best and not the outlet it's release under. But then which outlet would fit my work the best? I could use several different outlets depending on what's apt for the content I'm currently working on. I honestly don't know how valid my argument for which outlet to use is. But I do think it's worth considering.

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

Thanks for the support everyone, I have considered using some sort of outlet for my work. I'm just not sure what. I've been very careful when it comes to which outlet I use to publish my work as each outlet has it's own limitations. I want my work to be available to as many people as possible. I use the word "available" as I know my work won't suit everyone that ever runs across it and I refuse to modify my work to appeal to more people as that would in my eyes taint the work as a whole. But at the same time I feel that if I don't give my work enough exposure due to the outlet I release it through then I'm implicitly holding back my work because of it. Like say for instance would Game Dungeon be as popular as it is now if instead of videos they were posts on a blog that Ross made? I've always wondered about that question. Are videos are more accessible than written work? Maybe it has to do with what fits the work the best and not the outlet it's release under. But then which outlet would fit my work the best? I could use several different outlets depending on what's apt for the content I'm currently working on. I honestly don't know how valid my argument for which outlet to use is. But I do think it's worth considering.

No prob bob! :3 Start a Tumblr or Wordpress blog and see where it takes you, and don't fret about tailoring your output to the lowest common denominator. It's entirely understandable that one wants validation and a fanbase for work, but it's not worth worrying about numbers if you have to compromise something of yourself in the process. I think people can tell when someones heart isn't in it, even the swarming hordes of lazy and mean-spirited "deliberilliterates" on the internet.

An example of a really good blog is the old school Games Workshop wargame (affectionately known as "Oldhammer") blog called Realms of Chaos 80's. Beneath its MS Paint cut n' paste logo is a website of genuine passionate discourse on the subject. Serious effort has gone into researching each article, tracking down figures in the Britain's wargaming community for the blogs numerous interviews, plus there is a buttload of shiny visuals sourced from vintage publications, as well as photos of the blog creator Orlygg's painted miniatures. There is also a strangely sedate sense of English humour throughout the text, which isn't something you see too often. All in all, whether you're interested in the subject or not, in my mind it is a worthy model of good blogmanship.

As for your comments regarding Ross and Youtube video series in general, they are without a shadow of a doubt the more accessible of the two mediums in question. That being said I think it's harder work, both logistically and in terms of coming up with something that's simultaneously novel and broadly appealing. I think Ross Scott does a magnificent job of maintaining a channel that is uniquely funny and informative, and giving the viewer the sense that he hasn't really compromised his own values and appetites in the production of new material.

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

This is why I have an issue with reviving dead threads.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Is it me, or are the virus bots getting smarter?

It's just an advertisement, there's no virus on that link.

No doubt the one posting the link IS a bot but the link itself is secure.

the name's riley