Limbo of the Lost

Sign in to follow this  

Limbo of the Lost is a point and click adventure game developed by Steve Bovis, Tim Croucher, and Laurence Francis, with additional content stolen from games such as Morrowind, Oblivion, THIEF, Castle Wolfenstein, World of Warcraft, and Silent Hill 4. The game started development in 1995 for the Amiga personal computer, but was never published. In 2003, with the team having learnt 3D modelling and PC Programming, the game was rebooted. Using the Wintermute engine, things were looking up for the game. It was published by G2 Games in 2007, and Tri Synergy in 2008. The game was instantly met with claims of plagiarism, and the game is almost impossible to find these days.

Original Amiga version

aMwLkDe.gif6NEpz0C.jpg

Wintermute version

VjEDDVh.jpgx8C3fFu.jpg

Truly does make you wonder why they even bothered with a 'reboot'

The game itself is a mess to play, the interface doesn't make sense at the best of times, and the controls are possibly the most unintuitive thing ever. The story could possibly be interesting, if it weren't for the game itself being terrible. You play as Benjamin Briggs, captain of the Mary Celeste. In 1872 the ship is found empty, and the fate of the crew unknown. As Briggs you try to fight your way out of Limbo, aided by Destiny in your fight against Fate. Is this based on a true story? Is Steve Bovis secretly Benjamin Briggs? Is this his autobiography? Possibly.

Now the engine the game is built upon, the Wintermute Engine, is a weird 2D point and click framework. All of the animations in the game are rendered from 3D models, which sadly aren't in the game files. Actually getting the game files unpacked was a nightmare, I had to sift through pages upon pages of Google looking for details about the engine, but it did allow me to find the raw cutscene files, so the masterpiece of an ending can be uploaded to YouTube in HD.

yQP0BAYEdLY

Let me know if I missed anything interesting in this post!

Hahaha, oh boy. I've only ever watched the *several* infamous Vinesauce streams of it. I don't think I could handle the game myself. The musical ending has to be one of the best parts of the whole experience.

Hahaha, oh boy. I've only ever watched the *several* infamous Vinesauce streams of it. I don't think I could handle the game myself. The musical ending has to be one of the best parts of the whole experience.

Huh, never knew Vinesauce did any streams of it. Actually now that I think about it I have no clue how I learnt about this game.

Huh, never knew Vinesauce did any streams of it. Actually now that I think about it I have no clue how I learnt about this game.

I think he got a crack or something. I don't think he had a legitimate copy of the game. AFAIK, you can find some cracks around on the internet albeit the game is still very obscure.

Honestly, the original Limbo of the Lost stream is still one of the most infamous.