Imaginary Games Inspired By Pictures

Sign in to follow this  

Rather simple premise for a thread game, all it requires is the ability to use tags and a first class ticket to ride upon the rainbow coloured wings of imagination!

Using the picture that the last user posted (I recommend various genres of art, photography, humorous stuff, scary stuff, fantasy/sci fi stuff, screenshots of actual video games, GIFs, album covers, nothing NSFW for obvious reasons, bizarre images resulting from any conceivable medium, etc) give us a title and a brief description of an imaginary video game inspired by the aforementioned picture. If you chosen image is a work of art with a title, you might consider including it for the sake of getting people's synapses firing - you could just go ahead and steal any provided titles for your game. Then select your own image for the next user to tickle his or her creativity nodules. I'm also going to include optional "inspirational tags" (highlighted magenta, as I've done here) in order provide further incentive to conjure up a fictional game.

Here's an example of the kind of thing I hope to see

wallpaper-14661.jpeg

Artwork by Wayne Barlowe

Exoshepherd

A science fiction shepherding simulator in which you play an intergalactic herdsman, honing your alien brushcraft and innate psionic abilities whilst travelling to different planets with stunning and exotic environments. Learn about each worlds unique flora and fauna, discover the best techniques to corral different species of herd animal, and be wary of innumerable predators that lurk on the periphery of your flock.

Forgive my hubris, but I don't think that's a shabby idea for a game :3 And it was all influenced by a single painting. I hope this gives you an idea of how to play the game, I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Here's the picture I select for the next play...

Grunt_zpsn577o54v.jpg

Seer Of Decay by Grunt (album cover)

INSPIRATIONAL TAGS: survival horror, unusual aesthetics/graphics, bodily disorder

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

I do like these new games you're coming out with mate :)

Estonia, 1997: a recently-promoted Detective Inspector enters his new office in the local police force. While rearranging the room to his needs, he realises his desk is back-to-front. Opening the now-accessible draw, he discovers a case file, marked only as '#44'.

This is a linear adventure drama game where the player investigates the disappearance of a young woman, a case that was not disclosed to the force. English subtitles only.

shutterstock_95918008.png

Inspiration: Robotics

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

^ Thanks Binky! I do try to come up with something more exciting than the usual infinitely endless thread games one can find anywhere on the ol' interwebs. I liked what you did with mine.

shutterstock_95918008.png

Sigil Infinity

"Digital space has no end."

An addictive puzzle-based simulated growth game themed on the unlimited expansion of a bodiless artificial intelligence. The player utilizes "sigils" of ever increasing intricacy to build a fractal structure unique to his or her game, the long term goal of endlessly expanding the structure but also challenged to incorporate hundreds of patterns, forms and arrangements in a nonlinear fashion.

~

TaraMcPhersonthesnowbride2010_zps401372ee.png

Tara McPherson, Snow Bride

INSPIRATIONAL TAGS: platformer, undead, frozen paradise, ugliness and beauty

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Myth Of The Tundra

Tawia has managed to get away from her broken, corrupt homeland, and is looking to start a new life beyond the Dry Lake. At the far end - where no one has been before - she discovers a cave containing a statue of a slender woman. Accidentally awakening the spirit within, Tawia learns of a forgotten history of her land, and begins a quest to restore the former order and beauty of the land. But will she be willing to go as far as bringing back the mysterious Tundra, something the spirit claims to be a 'frozen paradise'?

This is a Tomb Raider-style exploration game, but set in a Middle-Earth-esque world. Problem solving, various-types-of-keys-for-various-types-of-doors, and everyone has Norwegian accents.

800x480-Y_Ddraig_Goch.png

INSPIRATIONAL TAGS: Dragon, Mythology, The Welsh, Magic.

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

Thanks for playing my weird thread games Binky... :3

Natives of Ddraig Goch

An open-world fantasy RPG in the vein of Skyrim and The Witcher 3, NoDG is set in a magic-realist alternative version of Wales in the 1970's. Enter into a land both uncanny yet familiar, a land of contrasts and contradictions. Eternal valleys exist alongside optimistic building projects that court conflict with ancient forces. A place where dragons roam the auran hinterland whilst government entities liaise with local fey to monitor the more dangerous inhabitants of the myth bound country. A nation where immemorial tradition meets arcane progress, both in unison and disharmony.

~

tumblr_o0i0odJGuA1runf1do5_400.jpg

Poster by Sean Äaberg

INSPIRATIONAL TAGS: garish cartoon graphics, lo-fi music, non-humans/mutants

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

I might as well attempt to raise this thread from an early grave.

MÜTÄNTCÖRË

Rendered in a luridly colourful punk and cartoon inspired illustrative style, MÜTÄNTCÖRË (all caps and umlauts are necessary) is a radical resource management/side-scrolling beat em' up/visual novel game with lowbrow political and romantic elements thrown in for good measure. In MÜTÄNTCÖRË you take charge of a rundown underground music venue circa 2234, populated with the vilest, violent and comical ab-human scum this world has ever bore witness to. Hire and fire bands whilst promoting and organizing gigs, festivals and events. Give your rowdy clientele (many of which boast bizarre superhuman and supernatural powers) enough distractions to dissuade vandalism, or have your goons politely smash things over their heads. Keep track of your venues presumably nefarious reputation via media and reviewers of various backgrounds. Make alliances with various lowlives and cultural dissidents in order to bolster your standing in the D.I.Y independent musical community.

MÜTÄNTCÖRË WILL NEVER DIE!

~

tumblr_o4sukiqQ0M1rge0cao1_1280_zpsl34gbohe.jpg

INSPIRATIONAL TAGS: loneliness, space ranger/planetary watch, mystery

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

^ Dead Thread Watch

In the unimaginably distant future when the Accursed Farms forums have subsumed the universe and Ross Scott has become undisputable master of reality itself, hardy souls stationed in the frostbound forgotten pages of the forumverse keep watch for dead threads from atop ramshackle sentry towers. You play as a member of this rare breed, finding solace away from 900+ page game threads filled with sod all, away from the lights and noise of the everynet, when your worst fear comes true. The atropal husk of a long-mummified thread shudders into grim unlife and resurrects!

Half-arsed thread bumping aside, let's attempt to give this game a new lease of life. Except this time, instead of providing inspirational tags (it didn't seem to be inspiring anyone) we instead have to give the next user the choice of two pictures, preferably of very different content, tone and/or style, illustrated or photographic in order to give each player a little more flexibility and scope. You can even select both images and combine them into interesting imaginary, if it please you to do so! Without further ado, here's the next two pictures...

Carchardon_zpsmzll0yiv.jpg

and/or

ERROR_zpsxigxvq5l.jpg

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa