Favourite Bands/Musicians Appreciation Thread

Sign in to follow this  

Whilst I realize there is already music general thread, that particular topic seems to be a semi catatonic state the majority of the time and is primarily filled with users random projects and occasional bits of news. Not that there is anything inherently wrong with that, but I thought we could do with a place to share and discuss our favourite bands and artists. Whether it's groups you've loved for as long as you can recall or acts (old or new) you've just discovered, this is the thread for you! Assuming this thread gets any kind of response I'll consider regularly updating it with posts both an all time favourite band I've liked for a long time alongside a more recent discovery. Youtube videos and links to Bandcamp/Soundcloud pages are always welcome.

GENOCIDE ORGAN

German power electronics group Genocide Organ are as influential within industrial music as they are contentious and misunderstood. Their seemingly unironic usage of highly political themes, literature and imagery often leads to the act being labelled as extremists or far-right nutcases, but in fact belies a wicked sense of Teutonic humour and a commitment to presenting the horrors of the modern ideological landscape in stark and uncompromising terms. For me personally that's not really what attracts me to Genocide Organ and other equally foreboding electronic groups. At their best GO make extremely memorable tracks with little more than distorted looping samples, terrifyingly ab-human vocals, harrowing dialogue from myriad sources, dread inducing primitive ambience and artfully arranged noise. To my ears some of the band's tracks like Hail Amerika and Viva la Guerre are as catchy as the most melodious and anthemic songs, and have a much more drastic influence on my imagination. I can understand how the band's morally questionable reputation may precede your expectations and put you off, but if want the musical equivalent of visceral performance art or aberrant horror entertainment you'd be doing yourself a disservice by overlooking GO.

2jAI-734O-c

WOOD SPIDER

I'm biased to a tee in regards to lo-fi music of any genre if it sounds as though it was recorded on soviet era equipment. New York based band Wood Spider make something best described as chamber punk or freak folk, offering as they do a kind of vicious and salivating brand of acoustic raucousness. The song I've chosen is from a short but undeniably gnarly four-track tape called The American Cassette though you could do a lot worse things with your time than check out their other records, particularly the album In The Thick Of It, the best song therein being Shifting Gears in my humble opinion : https://woodspider.bandcamp.com/

0vUa7RhW94Q

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

I'm a guy who loves his classic and prog rock, but my genre tastes is varied enough. I listen to anything that I play along with on guitar, bass or drums

Anyway, to start off, my current favorite band is The Who. This is the one band that made take my rhythm guitar playing and bass playing seriously, at a time when all I want to do is play lead. The bass player, John Entwistle especially was a bigger influence. He made the bass an interesting instrument to play, and I try to emulate his style. Pete Townshend? He was the rock when he laid out the rhythm, and a his songwriting were something worth appreciating. Quadrophenia especially. I'll never get tired of that album, especially on the penultimate track "The Rock". Pete, John and Keith Moon proved how tight they are as they weave through four of the album's main theme in one instrumental before leading to "Love Reign O'er Me" where Roger Daltrey belts his heart out on the only song to ever bring me to tears.

Welp, now what?