TV adaptations of RGD featured games

Sign in to follow this  

You might possibly remember a few videochats ago, I asked Ross which of the games featured on his Gaming Dungeon series he would most like to see adapted into a movie or some sort of television series. If I recall correctly he suggested hyper violent taxi driving simulator Quarantine as a game ripe for a screenplay reimagining. Months later, after thinking about this particular question again with more deliberation than I care to admit out loud, I began to wonder what sort of unlikely yet potentially rad reiterations of these games could make for a good television program. I was hoping that if I posted a few of my own goofy ideas it might encourage others to share their own, no matter how silly or sincere and hopefully get a worthwhile topic going. Feel free to be as serious or as humorous with your particular pitches for whichever game/s you choose as like!

• Nyet 3: A suspenseful and utterly skin-crawling thriller filled with gut wrenching twists and shockingly violent scenes. The premise effectively centres on an unnamed character waking up in a decrepit bunker who cannot seemingly remember anything, about his life or even the outside world. Soon after waking he stumbles upon a series of bizarre and lethal puzzles, all whilst being taunted by a grotesque boggle-eyed obese man via various media outlets, who offers thinly-veiled threats and occasional suspect aid.
  • Wolfenstein: An extremely camp situational historic comedy that just so happens to be set in techno-occult Nazi Germany. A bit like 'Allo 'Allo but with more overt bloodshed and bloody carnage.
  • Construction Bob Escapes From Hell: On the face of it, CHEFH is just another goofy saturday morning morning childrens cartoon series. But beneath the zany façade and playfully irreverent character design is a cartoon with surprisingly snarky humour and a sincere commitment to not patronizing it's young audience. A bit like Billy & Mandy's Grim Adventures but with more anti-papal overtones. For some reason the credits always have a different German metal band as the closing soundtrack.

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

at the end of the Nyet 3 movie it turns out the bird from the birdcage was behind it all

at the end of the Nyet 3 movie it turns out the bird from the birdcage was behind it all

icon_lol.gif

Strife: A campy yet sincere sci-fi action series from the 90's. Despite the often hammy acting, dated CGI and a consistent habit of "jumping the shark" in every other episode, this series has a cult following due to some ineffable charm and distinctiveness as a program. A new edgier, reimagining of the series will be debuting on Netflix soon which will feature unwarranted interpersonal drama, depressing lengthy side plots and a well-meaning but extremely forced dosage of sociopolitical worthiness.

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

• Potty Pigeon: Essentially a homage to the infamous Jerry Jackson flash toons, but each episode is twenty-five minutes long and centre on the unremitting dialogue from the pigeon protagonist. Is rapidly banned from terrestrial TV for being extraordinarily offensive and downright weird.
  • The Chosen - Well of Souls: A low budget amateurish attempt at nudging into Game of Thrones market that becomes inexplicably popular.

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Eternam - The whole game's premise could very easily be morphed into a Sci-fi satire or absurdist comedy film. Something along the lines of what the Coen Brothers or Mel Brooks might make.

Long is the way; and hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light-Paradise Lost

By the power of truth, while I live, I have conquered the universe-Faust

The only absolute is that there are no absolutes, except that one

Vae Victus-Brennus

Eternam - The whole game's premise could very easily be morphed into a Sci-fi satire or absurdist comedy film. Something along the lines of what the Coen Brothers or Mel Brooks might make.

There is definitely a Patrick McGoohan-esque The Prisoner vibe within that game.

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa