Games As An Artform

Sign in to follow this  

Just general opinions on this. Do you think that we've all gone mainstream and that we're destined for generic, reskinned sequals? Perhaps you see redemption in certain developers. Maybe you only play indie games and don't care. Or you think that video games really shouldn't be an artform.

Anything regarding games as an artform (or not) is welcome here.

Ever played Alone In The Dark? Myst? Now those were painted by proffesional artists single handedly, nowadays it's mostly Modellers who make the game world that's why often times the game lacks depth or real atmosphere, almost feels like plastic.

That's why I say, that sometimes I think a lot of Dos Games beat some modern "Maya, 3ds MAx" Games graphics wise.

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

Ever played Alone In The Dark? Myst? Now those were painted by proffesional artists single handedly, nowadays it's mostly Modellers who make the game world that's why often times the game lacks depth or real atmosphere, almost feels like plastic.

That's why I say, that sometimes I think a lot of Dos Games beat some modern "Maya, 3ds MAx" Games graphics wise.

I do not see how modeling = no depth or real atmosphere.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You know, you sound very old. "Back in my day we didn't have all that 3DS Max Maya graphics. We had to look at hand painted artwork, and it was much better!"

You know, people still paint and photograph textures and put a lot of work into 3D games. It's still art, just more hardware-intense than before.

And if you look at games like Braid (which is VERY new), it's clear to see that the hand-painted style is still being used, it's not just some kind of dead fashion.

And look at games like Dreamfall. Horrible gameplay but the game feels like an art book.

All in all, it depends on which games you look at. I think it's unfair to make such a generalization.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

You know, you sound very old. "Back in my day we didn't have all that 3DS Max Maya graphics. We had to look at hand painted artwork, and it was much better!"

You know, people still paint and photograph textures and put a lot of work into 3D games. It's still art, just more hardware-intense than before.

And if you look at games like Braid (which is VERY new), it's clear to see that the hand-painted style is still being used, it's not just some kind of dead fashion.

And look at games like Dreamfall. Horrible gameplay but the game feels like an art book.

All in all, it depends on which games you look at. I think it's unfair to make such a generalization.

It's my opinion, not a generalization.

If You watch cartoons it's the same thing, I don't like 3d Cartoon graphics compared to traditional cartoons.

IMO the older cartoon graphics were much better (Disney stuff) than let's say... eh wth is there nowadays anyway?

Anyways, I'm not hating on Maya or 3ds Max, I myself am a Gold Src Modder.. I'm saying that Today's games are actually hybrid, and I'm guessing that's why they look wrong, Make them either fully 3d or fully 2d. Because it looks a bit wrong with textures, but guys don't take this personal, only my opinion on an other wise forgotten topic.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

When you say that all modern games don't look as good as the old ones SOLELY because they use 3d graphics, and regardless of the game, then you make a generalization, regardless of whether it is your opinion or not. I'm not taking it personally or anything, just saying you should probably consider the fact that 3d or 2d, games include graphics, and graphics is art, whether it's 2d or 3d. For me you just need to look at the right games to get that impression.

I agree that early DOS games like Alone in the Dark and Myst look awesome for the time, and Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge had absolutely stunning hand painted art that was digitally scanned into the game. But I think it's actually a good thing that those games stand the test of time that way. I just disagree that all 3d games look worse.

I think You may have misunderstood, I meant I think the ones i played are worse solely because they concentrate on the physics world, light shaders, pretty much the world is now a code.

I really liked 2d Shading and lighting better to be honest.

I think You may have misunderstood, I meant I think the ones i played are worse solely because they concentrate on the physics world, light shaders, pretty much the world is now a code.

I recently played Bulletstorm and I was amazed at the level of detail in the textures, the backgrounds and the cutscenes. The game felt both gritty and dark at places and bright and colourful as well. I would still call that art even if a lot of it is code and stuff. I would rather see the beauty in both old and new games rather than say one thing is better than the other, because in the end it just boils down to your personal preferences.

I recently played Bulletstorm and I was amazed at the level of detail in the textures, the backgrounds and the cutscenes. The game felt both gritty and dark at places and bright and colourful as well. I would still call that art even if a lot of it is code and stuff. I would rather see the beauty in both old and new games rather than say one thing is better than the other, because in the end it just boils down to your personal preferences.

I will check it out, I'm an optimist about this.

I shall also mention (If You misunderstood) that in no way I want the 2d Graphics back.

I know we are still in the transitional phase of making this 3d thing work beautifully. I'm sure future games will be much better graphics wise. I'm just not liking it too much so far.

To understand fully what I'm saying, Compare the wallpaper of your game (2d Graphics) to a screenshot of Your game (3d Graphics). You will notice what I'm talking about.

I still love to play old games and be amazed at how awesome it must've been for people back in the day to play them and experience them, and I love discovering old treasures that I haven't heard of before. So I am in no way any "graphic whore".

I guess I understand what you are saying, but in the end I don't focus on single parts of a game, like the differences between real time shading and 2d shading. I just take it as one whole experience, and judge each game by itself. So I guess we just look at games differently.

@Alyxx

If You like Monkey Island 2, try Tony Tough and the Night of Roasted Moths, it's similar to that in graphics and it has a funny story line.

@Alyxx

If You like Monkey Island 2, try Tony Tough and the Night of Roasted Moths, it's similar to that in graphics and it has a funny story line.

Thanks for the tip. If it's DOSBox compatible, I'll try it out.

Actually it's made in 2002.

Anything really can be an art form, even gruesome or illegal things. (killing, theft, hacking, etc)

Whether a game is artful depends upon it's originality, story, 3D graphics quality (for 3D based games), 2D graphics and texture quality, physics quality (where applicable), and it's overall execution.

CoD:MW2 & BlOps are very artless, BlOps being far worse than MW2.

The Battlefield series however I would consider artful. (despite being an almost dedicated MP only game series)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Art is classified as - having no purpose other than to be. That's why games aren't accepted as an artform by most " art critics "