Professional translator

Sign in to follow this  

I think the subtitle forum (and the subtitle idea in general) is a GREAT idea. As many others, my native language is not English (it's French Canadian), but watching shows that were subtitled to other languages helped a lot back when I was learning English and now that I'm trying to learn a new language (yeah, I'm one of those autodidact weirdos that likes to *learn* stuff when I'm bored ).

For what it's worth, I am not that knowledgeable about subtitling, but what I am good at is translation. It actually is my profession (credentials available if required ).

While it's not subtitling per say, I would like to offer my services (free of course ) to assure correct translation, spell check, localization or to simply help if any person subtitling or translating has any questions.

So, drop me a line here or as a private message.

Julie your support is deeply appreciated. Altom's subtitles are really good and potential candidats for the official version (I reviewed and check the ones for EP 10 since I've been studying french since I was like 6) It would be a great help if you could read his subtitles and trankzen's. I'll do a check after that using subtitle workshop for sync and other stuff and if they're ok I'll pass them to Ross so he puts them on the site... If the translator's ok with it we could put your name in the file...

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

Julie your support is deeply appreciated. Altom's subtitles are really good and potential candidats for the official version (I reviewed and check the ones for EP 10 since I've been studying french since I was like 6) It would be a great help if you could read his subtitles and trankzen's. I'll do a check after that using subtitle workshop for sync and other stuff and if they're ok I'll pass them to Ross so he puts them on the site... If the translator's ok with it we could put your name in the file...

Hi Luis,

First, I'm sorry for the delay in replying to you. Most translator, like me, tend to work "freelance". Which means that sometimes you get 15 different clients talking to you at once and your free time just becomes... this thing that you think you use to have. But you're not sure.

At any rate, it will be my pleasure to check Altom's and trankzen's subtitles and let you know what I find.

If you guys have the original files (the ones with the text that is currently used in the videos) it would be easier to check for typos and things like that, if not, I can just go by the actual videos. Let me know

Again, you have my deepest apologies for the delay.

Hi Julie,

f you guys have the original files (the ones with the text that is currently used in the videos) it would be easier to check for typos and things like that

I'm not sure I understood you correctly, but you can find most english (original) subtitles on Ross's page or on mine. You can download the french subtitles from my webpage or our respective thread on this forum. All those files are in .srt (a subtitles format containing text and timing information), which can be opened with any text editor (e.g. notepad).

I hope that helped you.

If the translator's ok with it we could put your name in the file...

For the record, I'd be ok with it

Hi Altom!

You understood perfectly!

I will look them over and see what I can do. Although, I'm sure it's perfect already!

Hi Altom!

You understood perfectly!

I will look them over and see what I can do. Although, I'm sure it's perfect already!

Thanks Julie =D

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

First of all.

I apologize for the long delay. Sure enough, as soon as I posted that I was not busy anymore and would have time to look files over, I got swamped!

Second, Altom, your translations are amazing!

To see how I would do it (I have never worked with this kind of file before), I used CP's Friday. If you are fine with the way I did things, I will go trough FM as soon as I can.

Thanks a lot, Julie! Wow, you found a lot of typos

First, it would be great if you could let me know where you are from (Quebec, France, Africa, etc.). Localization is different depending on country of origin (and destination).

I live in Belgium, where we basically speak the french from France.

Franchement, qui pourrait voler de la nourriture de ses collègues ?

You changed that from "Franchement, qui pourrait voler de la nourriture à ses collègues ?". I'm not sure about your correction but I may be wrong. Could you elaborate?

A word like “crétins” or any similar “name calling” kind of word would be more in keeping with the original idea of the text. “I think it must be one of those punks from D-Sector.” Implies that Mike doesn’t really care for those guys, hence why he refers to them as “punks”.

Yep. I went with "nouveaux" when I read that "punk" could sometimes be translated as "débutant" or "novice" ( http://mediadico.com/dictionnaire/anglais-francais/punk/1 ), but maybe "abrutis" would be more close to the spirit. I changed it!

Except for that, I agree with everything you said or corrected, thanks again! Just a little thing : could you post your remarks in the corresponding topic in this forum, and maybe separate them from the .srt file? Anyway, I hope you'll be able to review my subtitles for the FM serie, which had more tricky lines where your opinion will be appreciated

Hi Altom!

Thank you for your reply. Funny enough, I found way less typos in your document than what I would normally find correcting another translator's document.

About the first change. I am terribly embarrassed! That change wasn't suppose to go in. You see, a great tool for (french) spell checking is a program called Antidote. It's usually right on the money, except once in a blue moon, it will be wrong. Well, it proposed the change you saw. I first accepted the change (it got noted with Track Changes), but then I changed my mind and ctrl-z the change... Except that ctrl-z doesn't undo Track Changes. So, for that one, you were right. Sorry for the confusion.

As for "punks", it does make sense. As I said, those are just my personal opinions. Editing is a lot like two people arguing over which shade of white to pick for a room that people won't care about.

I will look over the FM ones asap. I actually cannot wait. I used this one as a trial because the english text was also available, which made it easier.