Wargames: Defcon1

Sign in to follow this  

I have to be specific because there's two versions of the same game. On the PS1, you play it as a sort of shooter; selecting various units and blowing up objectives. In the PC version, you take control as a warlord, churn out units and buildings, and direct them to do the same.

There are two factions: WOPR and NORAD; robots and humans. WOPR wants to take over the world, NORAD wants to save it. Now it was basically just a  Command and Conquer rip-off, but I didn't know that  at the time. I also didn't know that all early versions came with the Marburg Virus. Fun for everyone. You go through 15 missions per side, all around the world, from land to sea to the air, to destroy humanity or save it. It's probably written better than it was made, though the execution got it average  (60s-80s?) reviews at the time.  

Looking back it was a cheaply made, rushed, asset-stealing and paper-mask swapping cash grab, but it was fun enough.  You can't find this game anywhere - all I found was just the PS1 version. Maybe I should ask MGM themselves for the .exe....

2242672-wargamesboxart.jpg

Edited by Eshanas (see edit history)

Editing my post cause I didn't realize the footage I was watching was incorrect and the PC version is really different from the PS1 version. I liked the PS1 game a lot and it's weird to see it as an RTS. Seems a lot like the PS1 version graphics wise though. What did it steal assets from?

Edited by Marufrozen (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Marufrozen said:

Editing my post cause I didn't realize the footage I was watching was incorrect and the PC version is really different from the PS1 version. I liked the PS1 game a lot and it's weird to see it as an RTS. Seems a lot like the PS1 version graphics wise though. What did it steal assets from?

Some forum post or guide form way back claims the sound are taken from command and conquer. I dunno about the engine, too. But honestly there's so little about this game...I should never had sold my copy. Nigh impossible to find now.

The Iso Zone...went down? We really are approaching the end of the 'wild west' internet, sheesh. I didn't even notice....