Best Pixel Art

Hiya all, I'm trying to build up some pixel art skills and would like to find some out-of-the-ordinary references. What games do you all know with some great pixel art? Doesn't have to be old, just in that style.

Going to be super biased here, and go with some of Square's work (and possibly some fan works based off of Square)

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.0d7804047b99c9e9cb2d71b15300f855.png

Spoiler

image.png.edbe68d0d2057e5257cde15340352ab8.png

Spoiler

image.png.975f345b2cc5531dd3ddc0f1af693fbb.png

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

I don't know if Tyrian counts as pixel art, but I've always loved how some of the ships look in that game.

Spoiler

TYR_SAVARA2.png

Edited by Srake (see edit history)

They call me Snake. They call me Es Rake. They call me Srahkay. That's nahmaname. That's nahmaname. That's not my... name.

Take a look at Hyper Light Drifter - it's a very "stylised" game, but has some of the best pixel art I've ever seen. Beautiful game. I'd say maybe check out Stardew Valley too, but in my opinion, that game suffers from what I like to call "Mana Syndrome"; in Secret of Mana, a lot of the sprites were differing resolutions from one another. It still has some great art, but you really want to make sure you scale everything proportionately for it to look organic. That's just my two cents, though!

1 hour ago, Welfarewalrus said:

2IBbvYv.gif

Metal Slug in my opinion has the best pixel art of any game.

tenor.gif

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA