We're finally getting integer-ratio scaling!

..but only on the most advanced CPUs and Graphics cards in the world.

Official Announcements:
Intel: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/integer-scaling-support-on-intel-graphics
nVidia: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/gamescom-2019-game-ready-driver/

A better summation: http://tanalin.com/en/articles/lossless-scaling/#h-progress

TL;DR Intel is only supporting supporting integer-ratio scaling on the integrated graphics of their 10th and 11th gen CPUs. nVidia is only supporting it on graphics cards with the new Turing architecture.

I can't believe that a simple algorithm will not be implemented on my GTX 1080, and as such this feature will be unavailable to me for a long time because I'm not buying another top of the line graphics card for several years.

Not available for older GPUs

The feature is not available in the Windows version of the nVidia GeForce driver for previous generations of nVidia GPUs. On March 25, 2019, an nVidia official stated that they have no plans to implement scaling with no blur in their graphics driver for Windows, while admitting that the algorithm itself is straightforward.

As a reason, they refer to impossibility to implement this feature in the Windows driver in a way that wouldn’t require “ongoing continuous support” given that WDDM specs of graphics drivers in Windows 10 are consistently changed.

That said, nVidia officials ignore questions about whether the same ongoing continuous support is required for the existing DSR technology that, as well, does resolution virtualization transparent to operating system and full-screen applications.

Edited by UsefullPig (see edit history)

From what I hear from people in AMD circles, they will be implementing it in the Radeon Settings software shortly after they finish stabilizing the 5700 drivers.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

32 minutes ago, BTGBullseye said:

From what I hear from people in AMD circles, they will be implementing it in the Radeon Settings software shortly after they finish stabilizing the 5700 drivers.

On all currently supported cards? If so that's fantastic

21 hours ago, RaTcHeT302 said:

NVIDIA: We can make a bunch of rocks think, but making a buncha pixels not look like a blurry mess? no no no that's future technology guys, we can't do that - hey now check out this real time raytracing, YEAH

Even their raytracing is a myth... AMD cards can do it too, if it's not coded specifically to prevent AMD from running it. It's just like the PhysX stuff.

On 9/5/2019 at 7:55 AM, BTGBullseye said:

Even their raytracing is a myth... AMD cards can do it too, if it's not coded specifically to prevent AMD from running it. It's just like the PhysX stuff.

Ah PhysX, a gimmick that was so shortlived. What was the point in implementing it and buying it from Ageia, no one knows...

OpenCL on the other hand barely gets use in Physics on the GPU. Bullet Physics uses OpenCL as well.
I think BeamNG.Drive uses OpenCL, that's about the only game I know lol

I just... I don't even...

On 9/4/2019 at 1:55 PM, BTGBullseye said:

So real time ray tracing doesn't really have anything to do with the new Turing architecture? I've noticed that my 1080 has a perfectly fine time doing path-traced shaders in Minecraft with the new SUES PTGI shaders.

10 hours ago, UsefullPig said:

So real time ray tracing doesn't really have anything to do with the new Turing architecture? I've noticed that my 1080 has a perfectly fine time doing path-traced shaders in Minecraft with the new SUES PTGI shaders.

A 38 minute video of it in action here...