Adapting to VR

Sign in to follow this  

I have heard that people who get motion sickness playing VR slowly get used to it until it’s no longer an issue. I was lucky enough that VR didn’t cause any motion sickness for me but for the people that did experience it, has it lessened over time? I’m doing research for a video and think that based on other motion sickness adaptations (cars, boats, ect) the body should get used to VR within a few weeks to months. Has anyone’s experience confirmed this? 

I think I would honestly puke if I had to put a screen that close to my face, something about it all being 2D screws with my perception to no end, to the point where I just can't process it anymore. The fact that I have to deal with the real space, and with the fake space at the same time, is just, confusing.

I think the disconnect is so huge, with the current tech, to the point where, as cool as an idea VR is, I don't think I'll ever grow into it.

And by puke, I mean it, I wouldn't be surprised if I got horribly dizzy. Even thinking about slapping that thing on my head, is making me feel uneasy.

I only see two solutions, make the headset larger, put the screen farther away.

Or, crop out the in game footage, and have it be zoomed out, at like say, 75% of it's original scale.

At least it would not be borderline unplayable for me, it would probably avoid the "gluing a phone to my face" feeling I immagine.

v7TTKfj.png

I've never used VR, just to make it clear. And I don't think I will, I can deduce my experience, and it's a poor one.

I think people might have a better time, if the lens, or if the VR system, was somehow adjustable, the how, I don't know, nobody is paying me millions of dollars of R&D to figure it out, I sure as hell won't. But come on, this is bullshit, I refuse to believe that there's no solution to this. What about fighter jet pilots? How do they deal with it?

Hey, maybe I'm weird, but I would rather, not become violently sick whenever I play a game? It just seems super strange to me how people can even accept that, I mean for fucks sake with how expensive it is, to me it says that the design is straight up flawed, I shouldn't have to "get used to it" ideally, I should have options to bypass that.

Honestly, I would straight up get a refund, people either have a great time, or they puke themselves out to death with all the fun they have.

Edited by RaTcHeT302 (see edit history)

@RaTcHeT302FYI Your post is completely misrepresentative of the state of VR technology, the cause of simulator sickness, and how it affects people. A lot of research has gone into ways to minimize/remove it, but some of it just naturally goes away. Some people used to get sick from FPS's on 2D monitors.

Edited by Zabeus (see edit history)

36 minutes ago, Zabeus said:

@RaTcHeT302FYI Your post is completely misrepresentative of the state of VR technology

probably, but i've always been prone to motion sickness, i don't think i'd have a good time, and i don't have 600 bucks to find out

what i heard about vr overall was... not good, and i don't like the idea of having to "get used to it", this would be too much of a gamble for me, i really would rather not pay for something so expensive, unless i knew for sure that it was 100% perfect from the get go

maybe i'm weird, but if i had to pay that much money for one product, i'd have some pretty damn high expectations, i mean jeez, this is not an easy expense for most people at all, it's just not worth it right now, the risk is too high, and there's no way for me to tell, if the product is any good, beyond what i see on the internet

i'm not going out of my way, to pay so much for such a niche product, when people are still puking their hearts out

i might have some misconceptions about it, but i sure as hell don't have 600 bucks to clear them up, i'd rather be wrong... and have food to eat 🤣

Edited by RaTcHeT302 (see edit history)

There's definitely no way to tell without trying. It's OK nobody expects you to be an early adopter. It will be there when you're ready. :)

(Just don't try one of those cheapo phone holders and think that's VR. Although it would demonstrate that the screen distance to eyes is irrelevant, it wouldn't give you the full experience.)

Edited by Zabeus (see edit history)