The Impact of Religion in Shaping Modern Society.

How has Religon shaped modern society in your opinion?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. How has Religon shaped modern society in your opinion?

• For the best
    • Positivley
    • Irrelevantly
    • Negatively
    • For the worst

Sign in to follow this  

Wait, there are Monotheists who DON'T believe that God is the supreme arbiter of morality? Which cult is that?

I already mentioned some before...

Panentheism, Pantheism, Satanism....

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

Wait, there are Monotheists who DON'T believe that God is the supreme arbiter of morality? Which cult is that?

I hadn't heard of Panentheism till just now.

Pantheism - the believe that everything is God... hrm, I don't know if you can call that Monotheism honestly. (Especially since there's probably more than one universe.)

Satanism... which kind? The LaVeyist kind that shoukd really be called "Self-ism," or the really deluded nutballs who actually worship the Loser in Christian Theology? The former would be more like arrogant semi-atheists, and the latter are essentially really dumb monotheists.

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

I hadn't heard of Panentheism till just now.

Pantheism - the believe that everything is God... hrm, I don't know if you can call that Monotheism honestly. (Especially since there's probably more than one universe.)

Satanism... which kind? The LaVeyist kind that shoukd really be called "Self-ism," or the really deluded nutballs who actually worship the Loser in Christian Theology? The former would be more like arrogant semi-atheists, and the latter are essentially really dumb monotheists.

Nice to hear your opinon on that then

Oh, and those are just some of the monotheist religions, there's a lot of others.

For example, second line in Monotheism in Wikipeida.org

Monotheism is characteristic of the Abrahamic religions, Judaism, (arguably) Christianity, Islam, the Baha'i Faith and Zoroastrianism, but is also present in Neoplatonism and in Hinduism and Sikhism and it is difficult to delineate from notions such as pantheism and monism.

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

Sorry I didn't read the hole thread I'm kinda busy right now. I've given this much thought.

Here's my take on the matter. I tend to stray away from religious beliefs due to the fact that religion has caused conflict for CENTURIES. For ages people have tried to force their religious beliefs onto one another, which ultimately gets someone upset and ends in conflict. There have been countless wars/ battles/ etc. over this kind of thing. The same thing goes for other beliefs. Once humanity starts thinking "WHO CARES WHAT PEOPLE BELIEVE?, WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?" we can start living more peacefully. Same thing goes for race/ ethnicity/ nationality/ etc. Who cares what color you are or what country you're from? IT DOESN'T MATTER.

At the same time quite a few religions have good moral values that I agree with. I actually govern my life with most of the things I learned growing up as a christian. I just don't try to push my beliefs on others like most of the people in this region of the world (the south U.S.). I also just don't believe that a God can actually exist. I firmly believe it's your right to believe whatever you want... but there are always consequences to the more... umm radical beliefs (if you will).

@toxic

I agree that religion has been the reason/cause of many war and eras of bloodshed. It is for this very reason that i voted positive. I'm not going to say just for the hell of it.

Negatively:

Religion has always been either forced upon a culture or suppressed.

For example: Religion being forced on Native Americans. And schools banning prayer and other things. (I've heard one case wear a woman was denied wearing her religious headwear and was told she'd be expelled if she didn't remove it in the building)

I think religion should not be forced upon anyone, but that everyone should be allowed to practice what they believe in WITHIN REASON.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 73 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.