May updates

Sign in to follow this  

Hey people, I wanted to let you know progress is still underway on the next CP episode. It's turning out well, but as usual, seemingly simple things are becoming much more complicated than they should be. I still haven't run into any show-stopping bugs, there's just a lot of little elements to take care of in this episode to make it feel more complete. I'd post screenshots or clips from it so far, but I really hate having things spoiled for me personally, so I try to do the same for the viewers.

The new website has been very close to launchable for a while now, but I want to have the look of some of the pages altered to be as easy as possible to navigate, plus the guy coding it has had a lot of behind the scenes revisions to make. Right now it's sort of a race between us as to which will happen first, the new website launching, or the next CP episode being released.

I've been reviewing some of the subtitles submitted to me and while I appreciate the effort of people who have submitted, some of the timing or spelling/grammar has been so erratic that it almost creates more work to correct it than it does to create them from scratch. If you're interested in contributing subtitles to Civil Protection or Freeman's Mind, please contact me at [email protected]. Also this is just for English copies at the moment. While I plan to fully support subtitles in other languages, I want to get the English copies done first so translators have the best source material to work from. Be sure to contact me before making them, just so no one ends up duplicating the work.  

Also I've posted the answer before and I plan to have it be on the FAQ of the new website, but since I keep getting these questions over and over again, I'd like to make a post about this. Many people have asked will I continue Freeman's Mind to completion, through Half-Life 2, and switch to the Black Mesa mod. The answer to all of these questions is maybe. If people decide they get tired of the format, I don't want to promise I'll continue something that no one wants, but for the time being I can't see a reason to stop it. 

EDIT:

I think I now have enough offers to transcribe subtitles, thanks to everyone who's shown interest.  I'll make another post when I'm ready for subtitles in other languages.

It's come to my attention that some of the downloadable copies of the Freeman's Mind episodes are disappearing.  I've notified the host, so hopefully this will be resolved before too long.

Thanks a lot Ross.

This all sounds fantastic. Huge update ftw!

I'm excited to hear about CP and the website, and especially about Freeman's mind!

Hopefully it will continue through all of Half-Life haha. That would be quite the long journey, but it would be totally awesome and I KNOW there's a lot of material in there.

Thanks for all of your work- this all sounds incredible.

Btw- your fans are behind you no matter what.

To be honest i don't want you to change it to the black mesa mod, sure it will look nicer but I think sticking with the original will be better because everyone already knows the game, and you would change half way through which would be confusing.

hmf, ceep going on in half-life 2, would be nice, have you seen all the spin-off series on youtube?

w00t I'll love to see Freemann's Mind in Black-Mesa:Source =)

Seeing as the Black Mesa Mod is addressing all that was wrong with the original.. it wouldn't be possible to port the same audio from one to the other.. If that was what you meant.

Especially as a lot of the jokes are about the original architecture and how rediculous it is.. The Crate room being an example.

I really hope you do Half Life 2 though, the joke potential in that game is way better than the first Half Life.

Anonymous guy: I'm sure as hell not going to REDO any to meet BM, it would just be a switchover if it did happen. And I agree, I think there's a lot more potential in HL2, I just though it made more sense to start with HL.

Hey everyone, i'm pretty ignorant so could someone tell me what the balck mesa mod is?

Black Mesa is a mod for HL2 that recreates the original HL1 game in the new engine. Just use google. Why can't people just type something into google? It's easier and faster than asking people on a comment board.

hey just wondering what program do people use to add subtitles to the episodes, I'm about to have a lot of free time on my hands summer vacation coming up and all and this seems like a fun thing to do.

personally ill never be sick of freemans mind, and i hope it continues through the entire half life series, lol.

The more fun way to tell someone to google something:

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=black+mesa+mod&l=1

Good to hear the episode coming along. For the subtitles, it might be helpful if you try to outline what the most common issues were so people can focus on that while creating them.

Personally I would stick to HL:S and not go over to BM. I hope the site comes up soon the CP episode too

Ross stick with HL if you end up wanting to use BMS or even want to switch to it if ever comes out you will be at Hl 2 EP 2 Freeman's mind by then

Yeah, I have a few subtitles for Freeman's Mind which I wrote down on a Pad once, but I'm not sure how to transport it to a .VCD file to allow people to add it to their videos so I guess I'll leave it to the useful people.

"Dude! FM all the way through HL2 and beyond! Long live Freeman's Mind! Also glad to hear the website and the new CP episode will be coming out soon. Will there be new features on the new website?

Just one question. Are you gonna have some crazy looking, animated 3d page? Asking because is taking so freaking long to see it and you keep talking about guys coding on it. BTW the shows rock.

I dont see how you would just make it randomly make the graphics intense or whatever with black mesa but maybe you can find a "vision enhancer" Have A flash and boom. BLACK MESA FTW.

I promise, i will NEVER get tired of freeman's mind or cp. i love it. and i would love to see freeman's reation to the grunts and combine! (advisor and strider particularity)you don't have to but there's alot of people looking forward to gordon saying :"WTF IS THAT? it looks like a tripod from war of the worlds!" LOL. anyway, plox continue the series!

Nice update! My vote goes to keeping Freeman's Mind on the original Half Life engine. Don't get me wrong, Black Mesa rocks almost as much as Freeman's Mind does, but I don't think they would mix so well. Dying to see a new episode of both FM and CP!